Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hands on an 06 Frontier NISMO a few weeks ago. The rims are, I believe, polished aluminum. And they have a good bit of corrosion on them.

Is it possible to remove the corrosion without having to polish the wheels? Is it a lost cause? Should I just paint them black and call it a day?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I think these have a clear coat on them that make them a hassle to fix other than painting. Only way to fix them is to strip clear coat off then polish.. but that is not easy. I’ve done it.. you have to really like the wheels to make it worth it!

Smooth out the rough stuff and paint or plastidip.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The Nismo comes with five Aluminum wheels including the spare. The spare is stored face up so it not exposed to salty ground water during winter. I'd be interested to know if it corroded as bad as the street wheels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Nismo comes with five Aluminum wheels including the spare. The spare is stored face up so it not exposed to salty ground water during winter. I'd be interested to know if it corroded as bad as the street wheels.
Huh. I didn't think about the spare. The truck's at the mechanic getting a tune up. I'll have to check when I get it back.

As far as I know, the truck has never left Louisiana, so road salt isn't what corroded the wheels.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
When you have clear coat on wheels they get a little nick, scratches and beat up around the lugnuts from mounting and dismount. This lets moisture get in under clear coat causing bubbling and corrosion.. doesn’t matter where you are.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Huh. I didn't think about the spare. The truck's at the mechanic getting a tune up. I'll have to check when I get it back.

As far as I know, the truck has never left Louisiana, so road salt isn't what corroded the wheels.
It takes something strong to cause that much corrosion. Typically its salt either in road salt or in sea spray. My '06 Nismo's wheels still have its coating intact and has no corrosion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It takes something strong to cause that much corrosion. Typically its salt either in road salt or in sea spray. My '06 Nismo's wheels still have its coating intact and has no corrosion.
I don't know what could have caused it. No road salt in Louisiana, and the previous owner didn't live anywhere near a beach. The rest of the truck, other than normal wear and tear, is in pristine condition. The guy obviously took good care of it. Except for the rims, which stick out like a sore thumb.

I wonder, if I'm able to sand the corrosion off, if a product like the Duplicolor black chrome paint would look nice, or if all the putting would still be noticeable.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I don't know what could have caused it. No road salt in Louisiana, and the previous owner didn't live anywhere near a beach. The rest of the truck, other than normal wear and tear, is in pristine condition. The guy obviously took good care of it. Except for the rims, which stick out like a sore thumb.

I wonder, if I'm able to sand the corrosion off, if a product like the Duplicolor black chrome paint would look nice, or if all the putting would still be noticeable.
You will not be able to sand all the small angles. Sandblast is the way to go. There are companies that restore wheels. Maybe on in your area.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
You have nothing to lose, smooth it the best you can and try plastidip and if it doesn’t look good peel it off or get different wheels.

I’ve used Aircraft Stripper before .. either spray or brush on, then use a body filler tool to help scrape it off when it bubbles up. If you do decide to do this wear some gloves.. it does not harm your tires but do take the wheels and tires off of the truck. After I did this I polished the wheels up nicely.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have nothing to lose, smooth it the best you can and try plastidip and if it doesn’t look good peel it off or get different wheels.

I’ve used Aircraft Stripper before .. either spray or brush on, then use a body filler tool to help scrape it off when it bubbles up. If you do decide to do this wear some gloves.. it does not harm your tires but do take the wheels and tires off of the truck. After I did this I polished the wheels up nicely.
I've had mixed results with Plastidip. I was thinking of using something like the Duplicolor Shadow Black Chrome paint.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
All of the Nismo wheels come painted grey. THe PO stripped the paint off and put a high polish to them. Must have looked good. But they did not clear coat them or did a poor job and they are now oxidized. You should clean them up and paint them. Grey, black, pink... Polishing aluminum to a mirror shine take ALOT of elbow grease, even with power tools.

I agree plastidip SUCKS.

I have a steel wheel for a spare.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
All of the Nismo wheels come painted grey. THe PO stripped the paint off and put a high polish to them. Must have looked good. But they did not clear coat them or did a poor job and they are now oxidized. You should clean them up and paint them. Grey, black, pink... Polishing aluminum to a mirror shine take ALOT of elbow grease, even with power tools.

I agree plastidip SUCKS.

My Nismo is '06 and came with unpainted Al alloy wheels. In looking at the pictures more closely, the OP's wheels are painted a dark matte gray. You can see it on the flange close to the rubber. I don't think it came from the factory this way. It seems that the original owner chose to paint the wheels gray. This explains the corrosion the OP sees today. He will figure it out when he sees the spare tire wheel. Clean up/repaint/clearcoat is the only way to go. Pros have the equipment and can do it for $100/wheel. I am dubious on clean up: I can't even remove brake pad dust.

·
Registered
Great truck
850 Posts
I am doing some 15x8 zender stars for one of our autocross bmws the way miniduti said to do. I have done it numerous times and it works well enough that you will be happy. I will try and take some pics to show you.

Once you strip them, lots of that corrosion will go with the paint and you will be back to fairly smooth.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Some folks around here @CF have had powder coating done at $80/wheel. I'm not finding anyone locally for less than $125/wheel. This ~$200 difference for 4 wheels powder coated + tax is enough to not pursue it when I can get 'some' aftermarket wheels for about the same price = Level 8 MK6/$125-ish per wheel.

·
Registered
Great truck
850 Posts

This one only has light corrosion but you can see it

This is after taking the bubbly horrible clear coat off. There is still a little pitting but not like it appeared to have because the clear coat was so flakey and cloudy

·
Registered
833 Posts
It can be caused by many things, for my '10 Pro-4x machined face wheels it was a combination of rock chips in the clear coat and the detergent at the touchless car wash. They even have a disclaimer about it in their fine print.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

I agree plastidip SUCKS.

I do not care for plastidip either but so many people do it now days that I figure it would be an option for him to try. I wouldn’t do it to any nice wheel.. I don’t care for painting wheels either unless it’s professionally done.

As @busemans said most of the corrosion comes off with the paint or clear coat. Most of what looks bad is the raising of the clear itself if that’s what that is. Those did look to be polished but I’m looking at them on my old iPhone but can usually see pretty good by enlarging pics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do not care for plastidip either but so many people do it now days that I figure it would be an option for him to try. I wouldn’t do it to any nice wheel.. I don’t care for painting wheels either unless it’s professionally done.

As @busemans said most of the corrosion comes off with the paint or clear coat. Most of what looks bad is the raising of the clear itself if that’s what that is. Those did look to be polished but I’m looking at them on my old iPhone but can usually see pretty good by enlarging pics.
Yeah, the pics aren't that great. I took them at night, and the truck is still at the mechanic until hopefully tomorrow.

When I get it back I'm going to check the spare to see what's what. I'll also try to get some better pictures.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts