Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently upgraded my '10 Frontier V6 with the CSF #7025 all aluminum radiator.

I notice two unusual things:
1- When cool the radiator does not fill completely (only to fin tops).
2- When I start the cold engine coolant rushes from the recovery tank to fill the radiator completely (I know b/c I removed the rad cap once when starting engine :shock: and I can view recovery tank)
3-When cold, recovery tank is full to full line. When engine first starts it empties to almost bottom.

Is this normal?

I'm not sure if the CSF #7029 rad has a larger capacity than the original. if so, could this cause the symptom that I'm seeing?

Checks:
I replaced both caps. Ensured that the correct one is on the rad and recovery tank.
Cannot find any leaks. Used soapy solution on all hoses, connections and recovery tank when system was pressurized.
If I remove cap after several hours I hear pressure escaping. So I have put off doing a pressure test.
Verified engine warms up in 5 mins, so assume thermostat isn't stuck open

thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Sounds like big air bubble in system - should work it's way out - keep rec. tank overfilled for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
to burp the system park on a hill with the nose up (and if possible have the rad cap as the highest point) in a pinch a set of ramps will do the job. Add fluid, run it for a bit, run it some more, ... be sure you're checking & filling at the "overflow" tank as it is part of the pressure system (not really an overflow tank as really a reservoir)

If you have some steep hills in your area you can also just drive around in circles getting the truck to burp... just be sure to start with extra fluid in the reservoir

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
to burp the system park on a hill with the nose up (and if possible have the rad cap as the highest point) in a pinch a set of ramps will do the job. Add fluid, run it for a bit, run it some more, ... be sure you're checking & filling at the "overflow" tank as it is part of the pressure system (not really an overflow tank as really a reservoir)

If you have some steep hills in your area you can also just drive around in circles getting the truck to burp... just be sure to start with extra fluid in the reservoir
This.

BUT, as I already mentioned, the level is checked with the engine running. This threw me for a loop until I realized that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

I neglected to mention in my post that i already checked for an air pocket. I did exactly what you said: parked on a 30 deg incline, removed reservoir cap and ran the engine for 20 minutes (with cabin heat blowing).
So, either this method didn't remove all the air or its something else.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I neglected to mention in my post that i already checked for an air pocket. I did exactly what you said: parked on a 30 deg incline, removed reservoir cap and ran the engine for 20 minutes (with cabin heat blowing).
So, either this method didn't remove all the air or its something else.
if you burped it and like shizzy said with the eng running, I'm out of ideas...

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
My 2008 with csf aluminum radiator fills to top, had to burp on slope as many others. Having to burp and fill has more to do with height of top radiator with reference to top of engine not capacity of new radiator.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2008 with csf aluminum radiator fills to top, had to burp on slope as many others. Having to burp and fill has more to do with height of top radiator with reference to top of engine not capacity of new radiator.
can you think of any way to help the burp? jump on the bumper or slap the truck?

Do I have to buy the vacuum kit like Nissan says to use?

Also, can this be causing any harm in the meanwhile?

thanks

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
You can buy a spill free funnel designed for burping there are several brands and cost about 30$ on amazon. It was the only way my son was able to burp his Ford Explorer and I know Nissan owners that also used them. The one he used is the "Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel". Having said this I was able to burp csf radiator on a slope with heater on highest setting I hope you solve your problem.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine had the same problem, I just filled the rad while cold, OVER filled the res and let it rip. No problems so far. I had the "no heat at idle" problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I finally got a chance to try the spill free funnel I purchased. On starting the engine the funnel immediately filled about half-way . After a few minutes (heater running), didn't see any bubbles so I squeezed the upper radiator hose a few times and all the coolant in the funnel dropped into the radiator (air bubbles were released). So, thanks! Hopefully this takes care of it. I'll monitor for a few days.

It was kinda funny, I kept trying to poor more coolant into the funnel to top off the radiator, last inch, before I realized that I was only raising the level in the expansion tank. I guess that due to the way the cooling system components are located in relative height this has to happen.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I did the same thing (without the funnel) and I noticed that the opening in the radiator was too small to "burp" air naturally. I had to coax it out the same way. But now all is good, heater works as it should.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts