Nissan Frontier Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts
Wrong, on the frontier switch the caps from factory placement and watch the temperature rise. What’s on the radiator is a seal cap only, the pressure cap is on the bottle.
In the 13 years I’ve been a member here you have no idea how many people had this issue, switched their caps and magically no more high temps, simple as that.
always study what you take apart so you can put it bad as it was.

Clint
This just saved me! Couldn't figure it out. All good now!

I may have overlooked it but did you get your overheating issue resolved? I am having the exact same issue. I went from no heat at idle to almost overheating going down the highway, after a mechanic replaced my Thermostat. At first he was saying it was air then after a couple of days the Truck almost overheated and the heater was blowing cold air. So he replaced the Thermostat again and took it upon himself to replace the fan clutch. The truck was still getting above normal temp. So he said it was the water pump and replaced it. I am currently out of $2000 and my truck is still running above normal temp {needle at 2:00}. I asked him whether or not he was using 100% Antifreeze and he said he does that in all his vehicles and that it doesn't make any difference. I don't plan to go back to him and wanted some input on whether or not the Antifreeze would cause the issue you are having and whether or not it would fix mine.

2016 Frontier
V6 4.0

I may have overlooked it but did you get your overheating issue resolved? I am having the exact same issue. I went from no heat at idle to almost overheating going down the highway, after a mechanic replaced my Thermostat. At first he was saying it was air then after a couple of days the Truck almost overheated and the heater was blowing cold air. So he replaced the Thermostat again and took it upon himself to replace the fan clutch. The truck was still getting above normal temp. So he said it was the water pump and replaced it. I am currently out of $2000 and my truck is still running above normal temp {needle at 2:00}. I asked him whether or not he was using 100% Antifreeze and he said he does that in all his vehicles and that it doesn't make any difference. I don't plan to go back to him and wanted some input on whether or not the Antifreeze would cause the issue you are having and whether or not it would fix mine.

2016 Frontier
V6 4.0
I would find a new "mechanic" if he doesn't understand 50 / 50 mix.
So, given that, was the TStat a genuine Nissan part or an aftermarket? If changing that out fixes your truck, I hope you used a credit card to pay him so you can dispute his ridiculous "I'll toss parts at it til I fix it" method of "troubleshooting". Otherwise, its on to small-claims court, and rolling the dice. Hopefully you get a good resolution, being your truck runs right and you get your hard-earned $$$$$ back.

I would find a new "mechanic" if he doesn't understand 50 / 50 mix.
So, given that, was the TStat a genuine Nissan part or an aftermarket? If changing that out fixes your truck, I hope you used a credit card to pay him so you can dispute his ridiculous "I'll toss parts at it til I fix it" method of "troubleshooting". Otherwise, its on to small-claims court, and rolling the dice. Hopefully you get a good resolution, being your truck runs right and you get your hard-earned $$$$$ back.
I don't believe it was a genuine Nissan part but i can't say for certain. He did tell me that it is a higher temp TStat that the one i had. I will be finding me a new mechanic though. It doesn't "Overheat" just going back and forth to work, so I plan to try draining some of the AntiFreeze out and adding water and if that doesn't help I'll be calling another mechanic and having them replace the TStat with a recommended Nissan part.

I don't believe it was a genuine Nissan part but i can't say for certain. He did tell me that it is a higher temp TStat that the one i had. I will be finding me a new mechanic though. It doesn't "Overheat" just going back and forth to work, so I plan to try draining some of the AntiFreeze out and adding water and if that doesn't help I'll be calling another mechanic and having them replace the TStat with a recommended Nissan part.
Don't drain anything. He probably filled it with 50/50, which is the bare minimum, so you don't want that diluted further.
The radiator cap is flat, and the reservoir cap has a pressure spring.

Loosen 'half-way' or even remove the reservoir cap and go for a drive. This will allow the air in the system to escape. Keep the level in the reservoir at least half full, just above the seam is good. Drive for 20 minutes or so, then tighten the cap. You should have plenty of heat and steady temp gauge.

Could have been as simple as the two things RamTest pointed out the whole time!
Make sure you check those caps AND do as he said with burping the air... this is usually the problem!

On the thermostat there should be a little piece of metal through the base plate that jiggles, it’s supposed to be on the top side as air bubbles can pass by when the thermostat isn’t open.
I have never left a cap loose to bleed the air out of the system, just fill the bottle to above the seam and go for a good drive, preferably at highways speeds.

Clint

Reactions: MiniDuti
I have never left a cap loose to bleed the air out of the system, just fill the bottle to above the seam and go for a good drive, preferably at highways speeds.
It depends on how much air is trapped in the system.
For folks who don't do their own work, I think it simplifies things to limit activity to one pressure cap, the one on the reservoir.
In a day or so I suspect Dino will be reporting that he is all set.

Or as I did and found it here on CF.. jacked up passenger side front, filled reservoir to top and left lid off all night. Gravity did its job and just top it off to proper level next morning and throw the lid back on and enjoy your heat!
It's worked for me three times on three different Nissans plus my buddies.. he just parked on a slope.

Most of the vets here know this but just a heads up for the New! Different ways to do it..

I followed both of your instructions last night. When i got home i filled the resevoir about 3/4 of the way up [a little over max] and left the cap off. I drove to church which is about a 5 minute drive all highway miles then back home; it appeared the water may have dropped a little to about max fill. I then parked my truck in a way which would raise the passenger side front slightly elevated. This morning it didn't look like the water drop anymore. I left the Resevoir cap off and drove into work. 10 minutes was at 60 mph until i hit town/first signal light; then about 10 minutes before i got to the parking lot at work. The water didn't seem to drop any more. The cap is still off. During the drive to work the temp slowly crept up to about the 2:30 position but never hit the 3/4 warning mark. Also i did have my heater running full blast. I guess i'll leave the cap off on the way home and over night again.

I checked the coolant in the overflow and radiator this morning and levels are good. Driving home to work yersterday and back in to work this morning the temp stayed about the 3:00 range. It did get slightly higher as i was pulling into the parking lot this morning at work. It may be good but i'm not gonna call it just yet; I'll update you again next Tuesday after giving it a good test drive over the weekend.

There are two hoses attached to the overflow reservoir that have a higher tendency to leak.
One hose comes out of the radiator cap neck, goes around the battery, and into the upper front of the overflow.
The second comes out of the overflow at the bottom rear and goes to the heater hose.
Both can easily leak at the overflow end. The clamps aren't the best.
You are poking around there anyway, so check for leaks.

There's a third outlet nipple from the overflow, directly under the overflow cap. It has no hose, and is partly under the fender. This is the overflow for the entire cooling system. If you have too much coolant, it will harmlessly push its way out of that nipple and onto the street. When coolant gets hot, it expands. This gives it a place to go.

You need to clarify if it’s concentrated or diluted.

Clint

61 - 80 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.