Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
having issues with the heating system, not getting hot when the car is idle. Blowing cold air.

Want to check for leaks with a pressure test kit. What PIS do I pump it to? Can't find the info.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hello,
having issues with the heating system, not getting hot when the car is idle. Blowing cold air.

Want to check for leaks with a pressure test kit. What PIS do I pump it to? Can't find the info.

Thanks!!
This Board has seen several cases of no heat when the truck is at idle. I hazard a guess that most of these cases is due to entrapped air within the cooling system. Curing the situation requires burping the baby. For the Frontier, run it on an incline with the radiator at the high point. Remove both caps, then run the engine to drive coolant flow. If the burp happens you will find a need to add coolant.

Back to your question: The pressure cap is set to relieve at 15 psig. Any pressure below this should hold. If you have gauge drop, you have a leak. I don't think you have a leak for if you do you should see it somewhere. If you do not see it, it could be a blown head gasket. So your first check is to look at the dipstick for signs of coolant in the oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot. I was trying to remove the air trapped for an hour yesterday. Did not have it on the incline though. Stepping on the gas produced some bubbles and coolant level in the funnel was going up.
Will try it one more time on the incline. How steep the angle should be?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thanks a lot. I was trying to remove the air trapped for an hour yesterday. Did not have it on the incline though. Stepping on the gas produced some bubbles and coolant level in the funnel was going up.
Will try it one more time on the incline. How steep the angle should be?
I don't think anyone has measured the incline angle. I did read somewhere that steeper is better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think anyone has measured the incline angle. I did read somewhere that steeper is better.
This Board has seen several cases of no heat when the truck is at idle. I hazard a guess that most of these cases is due to entrapped air within the cooling system. Curing the situation requires burping the baby. For the Frontier, run it on an incline with the radiator at the high point. Remove both caps, then run the engine to drive coolant flow. If the burp happens you will find a need to add coolant.

Back to your question: The pressure cap is set to relieve at 15 psig. Any pressure below this should hold. If you have gauge drop, you have a leak. I don't think you have a leak for if you do you should see it somewhere. If you do not see it, it could be a blown head gasket. So your first check is to look at the dipstick for signs of coolant in the oil.
It worked, opened both caps and had it running, made a mess since the coolant is being pushed up from the radiator. Nice heat on idle. Thought I fixed it. Waited couple hours tried again, no heat. Decided to check the coolant level when cold, poured almost a liter to the radiator to find out the level is rising in the reservoir. Well, decided to start the engine, made the coolant fountain, it was rushed from the radiator. And no heat... Any advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,777 Posts
Spring cap on bottle, flat cap on radiator. Fill the radiator and cap it, fill the bottle to the seam halfway up and go for a good ride, it should pull liquid in and drop the level in the bottle. Fill it back to the seam and drive it again and stop doing it when the level stays at that seam. Be really careful to not get burned so let the truck sit until you can safely remove the cap. I had 5 frontiers, all did this and none had a system leak.
Clint

·
Registered
304 Posts
get it on the steepest driveway you can find and then jack up the front end with what ever safe method you can,fill it up,get it fully warmed up,run a steady 2500rpm with the heater turned on full heat so you can feel the engine getting hot, shut it off an let it cool an hour or so an check both caps again to see if you flushed the air out of your cyl head an heater core.Walmart has the valvoline Aisian Blue coolant delivered free for 12.95 Gal.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It worked, opened both caps and had it running, made a mess since the coolant is being pushed up from the radiator. Nice heat on idle. Thought I fixed it. Waited couple hours tried again, no heat. Decided to check the coolant level when cold, poured almost a liter to the radiator to find out the level is rising in the reservoir. Well, decided to start the engine, made the coolant fountain, it was rushed from the radiator. And no heat... Any advice appreciated.
The coolant fountain means the T Stat opened up and any trapped air should leave the system. Turn off the engine. Fill the radiator to the top and put on its cap. Fill the overflow tank about half full and put on its cap. As the engine cools, it draws coolant from the overflow. Be careful working with a hot radiator.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Keep the caps on while running. Raise the front end of the vehicle as high as you safely can. Start the engine and turn the heater to it's hottest setting. Run the engine at 2000-3000 RPM for at least 10-minutes, or longer (if needed) until the heater is blowing hot air (about 140 degrees F. at the heater vent). When done, lower the vehicle and turn off. Re-check the coolant level when the engine is cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts