Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was changing the oil last weekend and was checking all my other fluids as well when I discovered my radiator overflow container is black. Due to the fact I do mostly inner city driving in Tampa, I brushed it off as being dirty. The more I was thinking about it, the more worried I have become. I'm suspicous that I may have a cylinder head gasket leak thus allowing some oil slide into the coolant valves. Has anybody else experienced this symptom? Am I right to be worried about the color of the coolant? I did buy the add'l 100K mile warranty offered from Nissan which covers just about everything. Would this also be covered if it was a gasket leak?

I really appreciate any and all help with this. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Hey guys,

I was changing the oil last weekend and was checking all my other fluids as well when I discovered my radiator overflow container is black. Due to the fact I do mostly inner city driving in Tampa, I brushed it off as being dirty. The more I was thinking about it, the more worried I have become. I'm suspicous that I may have a cylinder head gasket leak thus allowing some oil slide into the coolant valves. Has anybody else experienced this symptom? Am I right to be worried about the color of the coolant? I did buy the add'l 100K mile warranty offered from Nissan which covers just about everything. Would this also be covered if it was a gasket leak?

i have never seen black antifreeze lol i would go get it checked out ASAP and keep us posted

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
could it be the tranny cooler failure? is the truck driving ok?
wouldnt be black, from what others have said. looks more like a strawberry/raspberry milkshake. black would lead me to believe more of an oil issue unless his trans fluid was burnt to a crisp.

It's possible someone added green antifreeze to your cooling system. Just a guess...
our antifreeze is green.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The truck is still running great and both the temp gauge and oil gauges are fine as well.

·
Registered
862 Posts
wouldnt be black, from what others have said. looks more like a strawberry/raspberry milkshake. black would lead me to believe more of an oil issue unless his trans fluid was burnt to a crisp.

our antifreeze is green.
Maybe they added the red.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
yeah mixing dex and non dex makes peanut butter. tranny fluid and coolant makes strawberry milkshake and generally oil and coolant makes chocolate milkshake.

i would check what the oil looks like on your dip stick, also pop off the cap on the rad and see what that looks like, and the tranny dip stick. and see what you find

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Look under the oil cap for any brown foam, an indication of a blown head gasket. I'd flush the coolant anyway.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey guys,

if you have an extended warranty why are you asking questions???? Take it to a dealer and have them look/fix it>

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
if you have an extended warranty why are you asking questions???? Take it to a dealer and have them look/fix it>
maybe he was just sharing information about whats goin on with his truck, ever thought of that?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Poke your finger in it... does it feel slippery? does it smell like oil or burned rubber? ... For oil to make the green antifreeze black id assume there would be a large amount of it in there or its separated in the overflow tank...

·
Registered
127 Posts
maybe he was just sharing information about whats going on with his truck, ever think of that?
Yea I've thought of that, but it could be something that he's making worse by not getting it fixed. Take it to a dealer and find out what was wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Whatkind of Antifreeze are we using... Mine is blue so I can see how his turned black.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
So.... apparently there is a TSB out there stating that Nissan switched over to blue long life antifreeze in 09 so I guess then 09s and up have the new fluid. I wonder if this was to help the radiator/transmission issue?

Side Note: Does anyone have any new info on this new blue antifreeze?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hopefully its not like dexcool, which liked to eat gaskets.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts