Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have an 01 Frontier with a V-6. Just recently i've noticed what seems to be a very small radiator leak. It's out of the 2 top corners of the radiaor. There's dried semi-white/transparent spatter spots around those areas. Their small like bb size or less. And only a few spots each side. There's no overheating issue. In fact the truck runs on the cool side as always. The top of the radiator is semi-wet but I tried to pinpoint the leaks with the engine running and I can't find any. Does this sound like a coolant leak? If so, has anyone used any of those stop leak additives that you add to your radiator that worked? I'm thinking of trying one of those additives.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I can say from experience the metalic chip type radiator stop leak does indeed work for small holes. The liquid stuff is useless.

Not sure if there is any downside to using the stuff. The last time I used it was in an '84 Ford Tempo, so I wasn't too worried about any potential risks to an already piece of junk car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks shakedown maybe i'll try the alumiseal stuff with the metal flakes. What makes you say the liquid stuff is useless? Did you try those before using the metallic stuff? surfahjammer

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Just asking-

Why not get a new radiator? I would not add anything to my radiator or engine not recommended as a regular maintenance. I do however, understand that money could be a factor but searching around I think you could find a nice radiator on the cheap. Besides who knows if it will hold when you are out on the road somewhere.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You should get yourself a tube of JB waterweld. They sell it at Wal-Mart for less than $5.00. It's amazing stuff. Only use the internal stuff, if you plan on selling the truck. Over time, it will clog things up, and make the truck run hot and erratic.

J-B Weld Company - WATER WELD Product Information
I used this on my leaky radiator in my old 720. Had a hole right on the top in the corner like your talking about, put some JB Weld on it and never had a problem after that. I think the Radiator stop leak liquid stuff is more useful for stoping leaks coming from the core of the radiator, down lower. It seems like the fluid is only getting to the top where the holes are after is gets running and starts to heat up, so even then, the liquid stuff might not really do a good job of sealing up top.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Right on thanks for the advice! I think I will try the JB Weld stuff instead and see if it works. Come to think of it i'd rather try that instead of the internal stuff at least at first to see if it works. I could'nt pinpoint exactly where the leak is at though. I'll have to take a closer look. Later

Hey I checked out the stats on the JB Weld site on the product and it says it'll work up to 300 degrees. Anybody know what the operating temperature range is for radiator coolant?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hey I checked out the stats on the JB Weld site on the product and it says it'll work up to 300 degrees. Anybody know what the operating temperature range is for radiator coolant?
It should be well below the boiling point of 212 degrees. Most thermostats maintain 160-180 temperature range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts