Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 4.0 SV with 22K miles bought new. Have been adding coolant to get rid of the water in dash sound since a couple months after buying. Probably add every 3-4 months in my two years of ownership. Thought it was just low from the factory and had air in the system and would work it out over time.

Well it got real cold here and I noticed the swoosh in the dash being worse than I ever recall. Able to find coolant around underside of engine bay by right front tire as well as around reservoir in the engine bay.

Anyone know what this hose/pipe is? Connects to bottom of reservoir, from the dash facing portion of the tank. This appears to be the culprit.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Vehicle door Gas

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
If you read the right thread by SMJ99 for purging your coolant system you can remedy this issue in an hour, it's ridiculous that it's taking you months to resolve this problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you read the right thread by SMJ99 for purging your coolant system you can remedy this issue in an hour, it's ridiculous that it's taking you months to resolve this problem.
Well obviously it’s either now not a purging issue or never was. There’s clearly a leak.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Well obviously it’s either now not a purging issue or never was. There’s clearly a leak.

Tighten or replace the clamp as needed. That hose goes from the coolant bottle to the heater hose at the heater core.

There is another hose at the front top of the coolant bottle that can also leak. That hose goes from the radiator neck to the coolant bottle.

Then overfill the bottle, at least half way. Disregard Min and Max.
Overfill, leave the cap 'half loose", drive around for a bit, then refill if needed and tighten the cap.

·
Super Moderator
11,880 Posts
I think you’re looking and referring to the windshield washer tank, I see a blue cap in the picture. That hose down there would be the supply line. Those tanks can freeze and crack. As for the coolant tank all of my Nissans and even my Jeeps get topped of when I change the oil.

Clint

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I think you’re looking and referring to the windshield washer tank, I see a blue cap in the picture. That hose down there would be the supply line. Those tanks can freeze and crack. As for the coolant tank all of my Nissans and even my Jeeps get topped of when I change the oil.
Clint
In order to get that pic, the washer fluid cap gets in the way. But the hose pictured is the coolant tank, A in the pic below.

Here's the tank.
A and B are potential leak points. In this case, A is leaking. Good chance B is leaking also. B is tucked up under the fender next to the battery. The B hose goes to the radiator neck, which is how air gets moved from the radiator to the overflow tank.

Auto part Technology Event Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment

·
Super Moderator
11,880 Posts
In order to get that pic, the washer fluid cap gets in the way. But the hose pictured is the coolant tank, A in the pic below.

Here's the tank.
A and B are potential leak points. In this case, A is leaking. Good chance B is leaking also. B is tucked up under the fender next to the battery. The B hose goes to the radiator neck, which is how air gets moved from the radiator to the overflow tank.

View attachment 342939
Thanks, I wish there was a third picture from higher up to put it all in perspective. I was just going by that and not looking under the hood. Those hose clamps aren’t very sturdy.

Clint

Reactions: RamTest

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tighten or replace the clamp as needed. That hose goes from the coolant bottle to the heater hose at the heater core.

There is another hose at the front top of the coolant bottle that can also leak. That hose goes from the radiator neck to the coolant bottle.

Then overfill the bottle, at least half way. Disregard Min and Max.
Overfill, leave the cap 'half loose", drive around for a bit, then refill if needed and tighten the cap.
Thanks for the explanations!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Here's the tank.

View attachment 342939
Nailed it, thank you. Fortunately I have a pretty clear look at B and it does not appear to be leaking. Only the more difficult to reach A!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Thanks, I wish there was a third picture from higher up to put it all in perspective. Those hose clamps aren’t very sturdy.
Agreed. Took a bit to figure out what we were looking at.
And yes, those clamps sukk. I noticed clamp B was leaking on mine. I think I better take a closer look at clamps A.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I had a similar issue early on...and the dealer replaced a cracked reservoir tank (under warranty) that they found by pressurizing the system. It was explained to me that I might be assessed a diagnostic fee if nothing was found. So, thankfully...some 'thing' was discovered and covered w/ no out-of-pocket expense.

Reactions: Zero Six LE

·
Registered
2014 Crew Cab SV 4x4
171 Posts
I've got the same problem right now also. At first I thought it was that small section of hose causing the leak. Bought some 1/2" heater hose and replaced it. It's still leaking after replacement so I'm leaning toward a tiny crack/pinhole in the reservoir right around the barb.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Update:

Dealer told me hose connection to the tank was fine, and the gum I was seeing was caused by blow back coming out of the tank. They said it threw a bad thermostat code, so they replaced it and said this took care of any leakage when they tested it. They burped the system and I was off.

Drove 30 miles and parked it. New coolant leak, farther back and closer to driver side this time. Took vehicle back up to them before close of service and they were apologetic and indicated it would be looked at first thing tomorrow and get shop foreman involved.

We’ll see what happens. When under the vehicle I noticed what appeared to be oil coming from these seals (circled in yellow). I didn’t think much of it at the time but told the service advisor. Thinking back it could have been dirty condensation perhaps? But don’t know what these are for or if oil is possible there.

Second pic circled in red is where the leak is now coming from. It’s running down the side of this part so don’t know the origin.

Sorry, I should have take a farther back shot. This is underside of engine, driver side front tire on left, looking forward and up to front of vehicle

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
The first pic is the mounting bolts and bushings for your power steering rack. It's a safe bet those bushings are covered in coolant from the thermostat change, and/or the new leak The thermostat is above that, so it would be either, or both.. The left mounting bolt looks like it has a drop of blue coolant on it.
Second pic, hard to tell from here if that is oil or coolant. But the thermostat is above that. If it's dripping, it's a leak from poor installation of the new thermostat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The first pic is the mounting bolts and bushings for your power steering rack. It's a safe bet those bushings are covered in coolant from the thermostat change, and/or the new leak The thermostat is above that, so it would be either, or both.. The left mounting bolt looks like it has a drop of blue coolant on it.
Second pic, hard to tell from here if that is oil or coolant. But the thermostat is above that. If it's dripping, it's a leak from poor installation of the new thermostat.
Second pic is definitely coolant dripping, circled in red. The leak appears to have originated from just above that spot - I didn’t know where thermostat was located but sounds like it was a poor installation as you suggest. Hoping it gets fixed tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts