Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to start wrenching on my KA24DE to repair a small coolant leak under the intake manifold.
In the pic are the 4 new hoses that I'm going to install and I also have a new intake manifold gasket.
Anyone know if there are any other parts that I'll be needing to complete this repair?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I think you're most likely OK with what you have. You'll know once you get some stuff off and have more access/visibility.

The only coolant leaks I've experienced first-hand on my two KA24DE 2.4l Frontiers have been water pumps on both 1998 and 2004, and a bad radiator gasket on my 1998. So I haven't replaced the bypass hoses on either of mine.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was hoping to have everything needed with no parts store runs mid repair. Hopefully that's the case. Thank you for your input Cusser.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Yeah, the rubber gasket/seal that is just under the top plastic part and above the metal guts of the center of the radiator. So I got an O'Reilly lifetime radiator for it, in stock, maybe 7 years ago. Bought a factory/dealer fan blade same day, also in stock in town.

·
Registered
29 Posts
" and a bad radiator gasket on my 1998. "

Can we just re-seal the top on radiators?
Mine is seeping on the top seal.
I am thinking about trying re-sealing mine, but NO ONE says it is a reasonable thing to do.
I know that a well placed bead of silicone is an awesome thing.
Jody

·
Registered
481 Posts

I am thinking about trying re-sealing mine, but NO ONE says it is a reasonable thing to do.
Jody
If you're dead broke or just looking for a short term fix then go for it. You can get a new radiator at Rock Auto for $55 bucks tho. Shipped, probly like $65. On my V6 it was leaking thru a crack in the top plastic part of the radiator last year and replaced it. I was looking up all kinds of ways to fix it. Saw where people were even sanding down the cracked area, getting the same type of plastic, and then melting it over the crack. Was just better to replace it, be done with it, and move on with my life.

I mean, your Radiator is a minimum of 15 years old already if you have a 2004 (assuming its the original) and if you do fix it then something else is bound to break bc they're just getting too old.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
How old are rad hoses? OEM? IOW, this is an excellent opportunity for some preventive maintenance...whether DIY or farming out to a shop/mechanic.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Jody
I wouldn't waste the time trying to repair it since it would only be temporary anyway.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm about to start wrenching on my KA24DE to repair a small coolant leak under the intake manifold.
In the pic are the 4 new hoses that I'm going to install and I also have a new intake manifold gasket.
Anyone know if there are any other parts that I'll be needing to complete this repair?
My valve cover gaskets need replacing. I bought everything to do it. On my V6 I have to pull the plenum to get the driver side cover off and there's like 7 or so hoses underneath and the only way to change them is with the plenum off.
So like you, I went ahead and bought all those hoses to replace my 20 year old ones. Seeing your post is making me feel a lot better about that purchase. Not the cheapest either because they all have funky bends in them so i had to get the OEM replacements as you're obviously aware of.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My valve cover gaskets need replacing. I bought everything to do it. On my V6 I have to pull the plenum to get the driver side cover off and there's like 7 or so hoses underneath and the only way to change them is with the plenum off.
So like you, I went ahead and bought all those hoses to replace my 20 year old ones. Seeing your post is making me feel a lot better about that purchase. Not the cheapest either because they all have funky bends in them so i had to get the OEM replacements as you're obviously aware of.
Yessir. I've been pushing my luck holding off on this repair but I need to get after it this weekend no if ands or buts.
The hose in this pic is the one I believe to be the culprit. It felt like my finger would push right through when touched.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Jody
Take my story with a grain of salt, but I personally had two buddies that used JB Weld to "temporarily" fix a crack on the top of their radiators about 15 years ago. They ended up leaving it alone and they never had a problem with their radiator. Mind you, these were 4 banger 200 hp cars from the factory, but were mildly modified close to or a little bit over 300 whp as daily drivers and weekend warriors.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take my story with a grain of salt, but I personally had two buddies that used JB Weld to "temporarily" fix a crack on the top of their radiators about 15 years ago. They ended up leaving it alone and they never had a problem with their radiator. Mind you, these were 4 banger 200 hp cars from the factory, but were mildly modified close to or a little bit over 300 whp as daily drivers and weekend warriors.
I did the same on a Galant I used to have but a crack on top and a leak from around the seal are totally different "repairs".
The JB Weld repair held up well enough but oil leak from the cam seals did the engine in. Oil on timing belts is not a good thing. Needless to say but the timing belt busted while driving on the highway and done. Interference engine so I junked it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I leave my radiator cap loose, so no pressure builds up. I use 75% coolant strength so it won't boil over. I'm not in the desert or tow heavy loads so I've never had a problem. And I haven't had an original hose blow, or a radiator or core leak in at least 35-40 years. No pressure = no strain on the cooling system. Especially if you have half-a$$ed patches holding it together.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
When the radiator seal on my 1998 Frontier first leaked, I thought maybe I could seal it by "tightening" a few crimps, didn't work for me. Since there were zero radiator shops except way downtown (opposite direction from where I worked), I didn't even bother to call to ask if and how much to repair. So I went to O'Reilly/Checker 2 miles away and just picked one up. The replacement fan blade was from dealer as mine was cracked and I felt "it was time". I later got an O'Reilly fan clutch for it (radiator and fan clutch are both lifetime-warrantied, and actually fit my 2004 Frontier as well).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I saw a guy on youtube remove the top from a radiator by crimping the little metal finger things.
The re-assemble, he put in a bead of silicon and re-crimped the top in place.
It seems like it should work, but I have not tried it.
??

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw a guy on youtube remove the top from a radiator by crimping the little metal finger things.
The re-assemble, he put in a bead of silicon and re-crimped the top in place.
It seems like it should work, but I have not tried it.
??
Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.
My leak seems to be in remission - I will be keeping an eye on it.
If it starts leaking again, it seems there is nothing to loose and a lot to gain by pulling the top off.
It seems that the radiator could even stay in the truck for the repair.

Here is the youtube link. The guy covers more than just re-sealing the top, he diagnoses stoppage, clears stoppage, and re-assembles.

'don't give up, ... smash on it'
Jody

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the the leak was coming from the "U" shaped hose. I replaced the four hoses that are pictured in my original post. And did so without removing the intake manifold.
Unbolting the power steering pump and removing the mounting bracket and plate allowed just enough access to swap the bypass hoses.
Unfortunately, the heater inlet hose replacement will have to wait until it becomes a necessity. It connects to the back side of the engine block and it seems that the intake has to be removed to access. I tried getting to it from underneath but space was too tight.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts