Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About 4 or 5k miles ago, my truck began to have an overheating issue.

The issue was first recognized when I could see my temperature gauge rise as my truck was idling and the electric fan would kick on, even in cold weather without the AC pump running, as soon as the rpms are lifted as I take off, the temp goes back to normal and the electric fan would shut off, it got to the point that I couldn't feel heat from my vents when the RPMs were at idle meaning an air pocket or loss of coolant...

This was fixed by letting the truck sit overnight, next morning I popped the coolant caps off and released air pressure, started the truck with the vents on high/hot, bubbles came out of the external coolant tank and the level dropped to zero as the coolant took the trapped air's space as the air escaped from the coolant system. I added coolant to the tank until it stayed level, no more bubbles... capped everything, and everything was perfect up until yesterday.

I was out with a buddy on an unfamiliar trail... stopped for a moment was checking google maps on my phone, looked at my dashboard to see the temperature needle rising slowly, revv'd the engine and the temperature went back to normal, i knew immediately that there is a coolant loss/air pocket in the system again... went out taking photos and walking around for a while as I let the truck cool down, took the caps off the radiator and coolant tank, of course there was some spraying and steam cause it was still hot, coolant tank was almost completely full, started the truck up, rev'd it for a second, killed the engine, coolant dropped from the tank to 0% .. started it back up, dumped coolant into the tank until I couldn't add anymore(had a spare bottle in back), capped it back up, back to normal operation again...

what's the deal here?

I'm hoping it's not a blown head gasket, I'm out of warranty and haven't done a head gasket repair before. Could it be a bad thermostat causing issues? I know the fan clutch is working correctly, working perfect after doing the air bleeding and coolant fill yesterday, electric fan not kicking on anymore at idle like it was before.

·
Registered
318 Posts
About 4 or 5k miles ago, my truck began to have an overheating issue.

The issue was first recognized when I could see my temperature gauge rise as my truck was idling and the electric fan would kick on, even in cold weather without the AC pump running, as soon as the rpms are lifted as I take off, the temp goes back to normal and the electric fan would shut off, it got to the point that I couldn't feel heat from my vents when the RPMs were at idle meaning an air pocket or loss of coolant...

This was fixed by letting the truck sit overnight, next morning I popped the coolant caps off and released air pressure, started the truck with the vents on high/hot, bubbles came out of the external coolant tank and the level dropped to zero as the coolant took the trapped air's space as the air escaped from the coolant system. I added coolant to the tank until it stayed level, no more bubbles... capped everything, and everything was perfect up until yesterday.

I was out with a buddy on an unfamiliar trail... stopped for a moment was checking google maps on my phone, looked at my dashboard to see the temperature needle rising slowly, revv'd the engine and the temperature went back to normal, i knew immediately that there is a coolant loss/air pocket in the system again... went out taking photos and walking around for a while as I let the truck cool down, took the caps off the radiator and coolant tank, of course there was some spraying and steam cause it was still hot, coolant tank was almost completely full, started the truck up, rev'd it for a second, killed the engine, coolant dropped from the tank to 0% .. started it back up, dumped coolant into the tank until I couldn't add anymore(had a spare bottle in back), capped it back up, back to normal operation again...

what's the deal here?

I'm hoping it's not a blown head gasket, I'm out of warranty and haven't done a head gasket repair before. Could it be a bad thermostat causing issues? I know the fan clutch is working correctly, working perfect after doing the air bleeding and coolant fill yesterday, electric fan not kicking on anymore at idle like it was before.
Probably thermostat.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
If it was a head gasket, you would notice a nice smell and a cloud from the exhaust.

I would start with the Tstat and go from there.

Side Note: Since there is a trans cooler inside of the radiator, it may be worth looking at the trans fluid to see if it is contaminated. I am sure you have probably seen the posts where the radiator fails and kill the trans along with it with the nice "strawberry shake".

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
...I added coolant to the tank until it stayed level, no more bubbles... capped everything, and everything was perfect up until yesterday... ...dumped coolant into the tank until I couldn't add anymore...
I might investigate where you are losing coolant.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Did you bleed the radiator AND the reservoir? Bleeding the system of air takes time and isnt as simple as filling it until it wont take more.

·
Premium Member
2005 KC SE 4x2 4.0L 6spd body dropped on 2s
320 Posts
coolant has to be going somewhere and if its not leaking on the ground its going into trans, cylinders, or crankcase

1 - 6 of 6 Posts