Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one of many 2005 Frontier (133k)owners that fell victim to the faulty radiator contaminating the transmission. I consider myself a do it yourself kinda person. I found a plugged filter replaced it and trans fluid made it 50 miles and had to be towed home. checked filter and sure enough clogged again which I imagine is the friction plates deteriorating. The trans seems to shift fine and all solenoids and TCM seemed operational. Has anyone here done a rebuild on a RE5R05A trans? Due to the cost of getting in done or even buying a reman I may have no choice but to do it myself

Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am one of many 2005 Frontier (133k)owners that fell victim to the faulty radiator contaminating the transmission. I consider myself a do it yourself kinda person. I found a plugged filter replaced it and trans fluid made it 50 miles and had to be towed home. checked filter and sure enough clogged again which I imagine is the friction plates deteriorating. The trans seems to shift fine and all solenoids and TCM seemed operational. Has anyone here done a rebuild on a RE5R05A trans? Due to the cost of getting in done or even buying a reman I may have no choice but to do it myself

Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks

Google showed me this: https://members.atra.com/ATM-RE5R05A

And this:

·
Super Moderator
19,934 Posts
I came across this video on YouTube learned a lot. Just doubt if I can do it. Or maybe it's just that it's going to be my first rebuild

The keys to obtaining a good transmission repair are proper tools and cleanliness. Most of the time you need special tools to remove some components inside the transmission. You also have to flush the lines and oil coolers before connecting a repaired transmission to avoid contaminating the newly repaired trans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts