Nissan Frontier Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I ran into the same issue with my truck, 2019 PRO-4X. It's funny that this never got sorted out in a truck with such a long production run.

I had initially installed a Curt harness, and when I discovered my truck was affected and went to repin the connector, the wires pulled out of the plug instead.

My crimp set has gone missing, so I just ordered a new harness, but this time I went with Tekonsha. I'm glad I checked before modifying this one, because the Tekonsha came wired correctly for my truck.

I'm not sure which one is "correct" per the actual schematic, but on my truck, the +12v charge is on the pin closest to the rear of the truck.

Another curious difference, the Curt harness used a larger 12ga wire for the charge pin, and a smaller 16ga wire for the brakes. The Tekonsha had the same size wire for both pins. (I think they were both 12 or 14.)

Anyway, hope this information helps.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Forewarned is fore-armed as the saying goes. Reading this reminded me of why I chose drywall finishing over electrical work when I was working my way through school 40+ years ago... :D

Here's a word of thanks to the OP and contributors for the contribution to the forum brain-trust, and to the admin's for making this a sticky. I'll check my wiring to make sure it's correct before I get active towing over in the Spring.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow - this is wild. Same thing happened on my 2012 Pro-4x. I recently got a trailer and purchased a Tekonsha brake controller to go with it. They day I got it, my controller was showing "NC" as in not connected. I got it home without incident and broke out the voltage tester to verify the factory 7-pin was operating as it should. I was getting very faint readings, so I ended up getting a new 7-pin socket to flush mount it in the rear bumper next to the license plate since there was some corrosion on the pins. I connected everything correctly, and sure enough, the 12v constant and brake signal wires were reversed. I switched the two wires at the socket and everything is good to go. I got one of these socket testers to help me troubleshoot the wiring. $12 on the 'Zon.

Camera accessory Material property Gas Cylinder Auto part

Crazy to think this affects so many models with the factory wiring!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Wow - this is wild. Same thing happened on my 2012 Pro-4x. I recently got a trailer and purchased a Tekonsha brake controller to go with it. They day I got it, my controller was showing "NC" as in not connected. I got it home without incident and broke out the voltage tester to verify the factory 7-pin was operating as it should. I was getting very faint readings, so I ended up getting a new 7-pin socket to flush mount it in the rear bumper next to the license plate since there was some corrosion on the pins. I connected everything correctly, and sure enough, the 12v constant and brake signal wires were reversed. I switched the two wires at the socket and everything is good to go. I got one of these socket testers to help me troubleshoot the wiring. $12 on the 'Zon.

View attachment 351125

Crazy to think this affects so many models with the factory wiring!
I have the same exact tester and it pointed me to the issue in a microsecond. Confimed the readings with my VOM, popped the socket outta the bumper, reversed the leads on setscrews and popped it back in. Voila. The clouds parted and the angels wept.
No. Not really. But it did work correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a nissan frontier 2022, constant trailer brakes, and brake controller unit says not connected. I could have that issue as well where the black and blue wire is switched.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a nissan frontier 2022, constant trailer brakes, and brake controller unit says not connected. I could have that issue as well where the black and blue wire is switched.
Forgot to say, I unplugged all harness for tow packages, a piller by passenger feet under dash, harness by tires, the black and gray connections and the connector for the brake controller under the driver feet. Until I take it to a mechanic to life the truck and see if those 2 colors are switched, I won't leave them plugged in. Also my abs light comes on, don't know it it's the towing package from etrailer or the truck it self.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Forgot to say, I unplugged all harness for tow packages, a piller by passenger feet under dash, harness by tires, the black and gray connections and the connector for the brake controller under the driver feet. Until I take it to a mechanic to life the truck and see if those 2 colors are switched, I won't leave them plugged in. Also my abs light comes on, don't know it it's the towing package from etrailer or the truck it self.
Never seen a tow package light up the ABS Warning indicator, I think you have two issues.

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never seen a tow package light up the ABS Warning indicator, I think you have two issues.
That's good then, because I'm reading people are having that issue on their 2022 model like me. Reason I said that is because I assumed if those 2 wires were switched in the tow harness, could have triggered the ABS light or the brake controller unit. I read the fix for the ABS light is a simple fix in the brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
942 Posts
I bet the Etrailer harness is wrong, this is for my 2012 but I would think it is the same on the new trucks
Font Circle Parallel Diagram Logo

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I bet the Etrailer harness is wrong, this is for my 2012 but I would think it is the same on the new trucks View attachment 352979
It very well may be. There are sporadic reports floating around, that some aftermarket harnesses are wrong, and also that some OEM factory truck wiring left the assembly plant switched up, so hard to say who's at fault, but thankfully it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can someone tell me with color at the truck, the black clip is electric brake? There's a red and yellow wire. The other connector that combines with that is black and blue thanks. I have a 2022 frontier. Thanks. Is there a way to know with a digital multi Meterr? If thanks, I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
942 Posts
there are 2 connectors on the truck for the trailer harness, yes? should be a 6 pin and a 2 pin. the 2 pins should be for 12v power and brakes. turn the truck on and test the 2 pins, should have power at 1 of them and the other should be for brakes. I am guessing the 3rd gen connectors would be the same as the 2nd gens but may have different wire colors

Reactions: AlexPej79

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I installed a Redarc brake controller on my '22 SV and it worked just fine the first time I towed my trailer. Maybe Nissan corrected their end of the problem?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts