Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have an 06 CC with 44,xxx mile on it and this will be the 3rd time i will be getting an oil leak fixed this year, plus the previous owner had it fixed once. So far every oil leak has been caused by a bad valve cover gasket or a cracked valve cover....I talked to one of the head service techs at my dealership about this and why this keeps happening...he gave me a BS reason like they might have dropped the valve cover before they put it on last time or it was a defective part....I call BS they keep doing the easiest temp fix for this and don't want to fix the main problem....now it only makes sense that there is a bigger problem then just the valve cover or gasket, there has to be something in the engine that's causing this...im going to the dealership on Thursday for them to look at it again...

This will be covered under warranty because it was originally "fixed" under warranty.

I also would like them to clean on the engine bay because there is oil all through it.....is that too much to ask?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea they replace both the cover and gasket 3 times just this year. But im going to try to get them to clean my engine for all the trouble ive been through.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly i couldn't tell you for sure, but the last 2 times they told me the cover was cracked.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Is this a Lemon Law possiblility? i thought there was something about if they can't fix it 3 times, they are stupid and need to buy it from you or something like that, lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
LOL but i hope not...i put too much money into it already.

It could have been cracked from a bad surface on the head. It might be putting extra stress on a particular part of the cover after the bolts are tightened and it goes through the expansion and contraction cycles.

could this mean the head may need replaced? That seems like a huge job if so..

also since this was covered under warranty when i was fixed for the second time, (they did fix it for the 3rd time for free since it should of been fixed under warranty), but where i getting is if the head or ever something else besides the valve cover gets replaced do you think it will be covered?

·
Super Moderator
19,585 Posts
LOL but i hope not...i put too much money into it already.

could this mean the head may need replaced? That seems like a huge job if so..

also since this was covered under warranty when i was fixed for the second time, (they did fix it for the 3rd time for free since it should of been fixed under warranty), but where i getting is if the head or ever something else besides the valve cover gets replaced do you think it will be covered?
That's a remote possibility. Yes, it would involve a lot of work. I would think it should be covered under the powertrain warranty but I don't really know for sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a remote possibility. Yes, it would involve a lot of work. I would think it should be covered under the powertrain warranty but I don't really know for sure.
ok well thanks for the help...ill let you know on Thursday what they say, im just not to happy with them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i took it to the dealer today and sat for 1.5 hours for them to tell me they couldn't find where it was leaking for due to the amount of oil residue left from the previous oil leaks...so they cleaned the entire mess up and told me to come back next week....:fantastic:

·
Super Moderator
19,585 Posts
so i took it to the dealer today and sat for 1.5 hours for them to tell me they couldn't find where it was leaking for due to the amount of oil residue left from the previous oil leaks...so they cleaned the entire mess up and told me to come back next week....:fantastic:
How exciting. :) I hope they get you fixed up when you take it back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this was awhile ago but here's what happened...

I took the truck back the next week and there was a definite oil leak, so they had me leave it there for a few days so they can "dig into it this time". So when they called me to come pick it they said it was leaking from the left head. They had to replace the left head, the gasket, valve cover and gasket again, O2 censor, and a few other small thing i don't remember.

So i drove it home and looked under the truck for any oil drips and noticed it now had a coolant leak...

The next day i drove it back to dealer, keeping a close eye on the coolant level, and dropped it off. Luckily they had a rent-a-car waiting for me. So when i got it back a few days later...i found out they never connected coming from the radiator..

And that's it...running fine now except for a intermittent slip in the transmission (seems like its not down shifting fast enough) and hard down shift around 40mph, but nothings leaking anymore

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the update. I noticed that the area below the engine on my driver's side is a little "dirty" with oil residue. Near the valve cover is "dirty" too. I guess I have a couple of things to follow up on before my warranty expires: the potential for a bad valve cover leak and the squeaking alternator or idler pully.

So annoying at only 25k miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts