Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the manual, and I have done searches....

The area I'm calling the data center displace the following:
Odometer
Trip Odometer A
Trip Odometer B
Distance To Empty
Average Speed
Average Fuel Consumption
Journey Time

Last night as I scrolled through the date center I discovered what I thought to be an hour meter, it said 13:35, but the manual calls it Journey Time, and here is the confusion.

The Manual says: ---------------------------------------
Journey time
The journey time mode shows the time since the last reset. The displayed time can be reset by pressing the change button for more than approximately 1 second.

Trip computer reset
Pushing the change button for more than 3 seconds will reset all modes except Trip A and distance to empty (dte).
------------------------------------------------------------

I'm up to about 400 miles, therefore I have put my 2nd tank of gas into the truck, and when I did so I held in the button for more than 3 seconds (which is more than 1 second) and reset everything back to 0, or so I thought.

So here is my confusion, when I held the button in for more than 3 seconds both trip meters went back to 0, not just B as the manual says. In addition, the Journey time did not go back to 0 because there is no way it has taken 13+ hours to go 75 miles.

What am I missing here???

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It's basically like a clock. It will "reset" or "roll" itself over at 99:59, that would be 100 hours less 1 minute. Then it will go back to 0:0.

I haven't tried any sort of master reset as I don't want to accidentally hose my trip A. I reset each feature as I need or want to. I really only reset trip B as the rest are pretty useless unless going on a trip and attempting to determine MPG or MPH average against the time taken to do so.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
I usually reset trip A because i use trip B to tell me when my next oil change is. The trip A i use to calculate my MPG.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm thinking this is totally wrong
Right from the manual - "Pushing the change button for more than 3 seconds will reset all modes except Trip A and distance to empty (dte)."

I don't recall going back to Trip A and resetting that one too, and I'm sure I was on DTE when I reset because that is the screen I have been watching. AND FOR A FACT, it did not reset the Journey Time.

So if I read the manual right, if you are not on Trip A or DTE, and you hold the button in for 3 seconds everything resets to 0 except Trip A and DTE. So does that mean to reset those you have to be on them and hold the button in for 3 seconds?

Most use Trip A or B to track their miles since their last service or the current mileage on that tank of gas.
I have always used Trip A for the distance since last fill-up, and Trip B if I'm interested in some other shorter distance measure that will all be done as part of that tanks fill-up.

It's basically like a clock. It will "reset" or "roll" itself over at 99:59, that would be 100 hours less 1 minute. Then it will go back to 0:0.
Well that to me is almost an hour gauge.

Most public service vehicle, such as cop cars or taxis that do a lot of sitting still while running, have a scheduled oil change at 100 hours. So when that bad boy resets after 99:59, it's time for an oil change.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Why would you not want to reset Trip A?
I use trip A as my oil change interval.

Trip B is miles since last complete fill.

Seems like holding the thing down for an extra long time once caused it to reset everything but Trip A for me once so I left A as my oil guideline. I honestly didn't test further to see if it was a fluke or my imagination.

I'm thinking this is totally wrong
Right from the manual - "Pushing the change button for more than 3 seconds will reset all modes except Trip A and distance to empty (dte)."

I don't recall going back to Trip A and resetting that one too, and I'm sure I was on DTE when I reset because that is the screen I have been watching. AND FOR A FACT, it did not reset the Journey Time.

So if I read the manual right, if you are not on Trip A or DTE, and you hold the button in for 3 seconds everything resets to 0 except Trip A and DTE. So does that mean to reset those you have to be on them and hold the button in for 3 seconds?

I have always used Trip A for the distance since last fill-up, and Trip B if I'm interested in some other shorter distance measure that will all be done as part of that tanks fill-up.

Well that to me is almost an hour gauge.

Most public service vehicle, such as cop cars or taxis that do a lot of sitting still while running, have a scheduled oil change at 100 hours. So when that bad boy resets after 99:59, it's time for an oil change.

I don't think DTE can be reset as it is calculated based on the amount of fuel in your tank.

Yes, you could also use the other as an hour guage. I could be off on the last two digits, I don't remember if they go over at 59 or 99. I really only use that if I am going on a trip and want to see how many hours I have been on the road actually traveling (or sitting in traffic).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
in my 2008 each display has to be reset on it's own. If I hold the button down for 3 seconds it only resets that specific display.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sangster, that's interesting, I'll have to play around with this thing.

I have to say, rarely if ever do I find an owners manual that is properly written, this seems to be yet another example of that. Technical writing is indeed a skill set that is on the decline. And people say "well did you read the manual'. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
same here

in my 2008 each display has to be reset on it's own. If I hold the button down for 3 seconds it only resets that specific display.
Mine works this way as well.

I use it as follows:
Trip A: reset at each fill up
Trip B: reset at each job site, as I charge travel time and mileage to each job.
Ave MPH: Couldn't be bothered
Ave MPG: Just frustrates me
Hour Meter: I just know that I get about 14 hours of run time per tank, and could hardly be bothered with this feature either.

Next Oil Change is by date and mileage from applied vendor sticker on upper driver side of windshield.

I would rather have a true trip computer like the one I had on a 89 Oldsmobile that would compute my arrival time based on my pre programed distance and its calculated mph. That damn thing would also say "good morning" "good afternoon" tell me the date, and time each time I started it up. All this on a car that was in production 20 years ago. And all Nissan could give us is an almost useless so called trip computer? :comphead:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts