Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
on my 02 it has the harness for the electric motor but no motor and im guessing the T-stat is for this fan as well

im gonna try and get an oem fan and a small transmission cooler

can anyone tell me the size of the oem fan ?

edit : nm i found it
looks like its 12" round

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
have you stuck a multimeter on it to see if it is powered? if so, how much and how many amps? i don't remember seeing that plug on mine, but we both have 02's.

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im gonna check it out this weekend and see hopefully thats what it is and it is powered , then all i have to do is buy an oem fan, tranny cooler and ill see if i can get an adjustable t-stat

·
Registered
12,584 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
if i can use the oem fan and a tranny cooler i can get it done for $90

depending on what the t-stat is rated for i may use it ,
im pretty sure its open at 180 close at 170

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
gotcha. just be sure to get a finned style radiator instead of the snake tube like what i have. the snake tube style isn't that efficient.

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like im just gonna get a setup like the one you posted , maybe a little smaller though

where did you end up mounting yours at? i didnt really want to put it in the front of the radiator and ac condensor coil but look like the safest spot

·
Registered
890 Posts
maybe youll gain some benefit of keepin the ac cooler while your stopped if you put it there? lol i keep meaning to order a fan to put over the condenser to cool it down, it suuucks unless im drivin

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
looks like im just gonna get a setup like the one you posted , maybe a little smaller though

where did you end up mounting yours at? i didnt really want to put it in the front of the radiator and ac condensor coil but look like the safest spot
get the larger one man. i'm running a snake cooler (pictured below on the left) in circuit with the OEM cooler at the bottom of the radiator, and it still isn't enough.
i'm going to be running the B&M cooler in front of and in circuit with the snake fin cooler i already have, and take my OEM cooler out of the loop.

i'm going to get a chance to work on the truck for a few days this week, and thats when i'm doing the install. i'm also going to take the front bumper off and remove the a/c condensor since i never use it because the truck overheats if i even think about turning it on.
i don't get a ton of airflow up front because of the bumper, winch, and 9" hella 4000s, so i need to open it up a little more.

i plan on getting a custom fan shroud as well, because my efan shroud leaves about 3" of open space on each end of the radiator. as you can see in the pic, there are a few crap-fab metal strips holding the coolers on. i might also have some little brackets fabbed up for the b&m. i'm hoping to put the b&m in front of the snake cooler, so the snake cooler can benefit from the b&m fan.

have you had the truck run warm yet? i don't have a problem in the winter here, but in the summer months it runs warm on the slightest inclines. its got to be consistantly 110* where you are aaron. have you taken the temp of the tranny after driving around on the highway for a while?

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
You should have power to that connector for the factory pusher fan. A few locals guys have installed them from on that harness and it works fine.

Additionally, Aaron's truck should have a harder time overheating that either of ours Mike. With the SC trucks they have a duel core radiator, whereas you and I have single core ones. That might be a good option for cooling yours down. Just upgrade to a dual coor radiator.

i know my truck runs a little hot occassionally with the AC on full, but i can fix it quick by flipping the middle hellas up and above the air dam.....letting more air in

Mike, definitely get a new shroud for yours if you have that large a gap.

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
we went out last weekend at night , it was still 100+ and no overheating , technically i dont even need a tranny cooler cause the hottest it got was 185* , although i didnt temp it while wheeling
personally i just like to see it closer to 160-170 , thats what im running on the 2nd gen with factory setup

here is the cooler i ended up getting

Perma-Cool 12211 - Perma-Cool Maxi-Cool Six Pass Fluid Coolers – SummitRacing.com

total with 2nd day shipping came out to $169 and got a free t-stat that opens at 180* and closes at 165*

·
Registered
890 Posts
so i looked up there today, and saw i do have a plug as well but its yellow, what color is yours?

·
Registered
556 Posts
The power for that connector only energizes when the AC is on. I just got a used OEM one and plan on installing it whenever I finally restore my Frontier.
I finally researched this more to answer someone else's question.

The factory auxiliary fan works as follows.

With the ignition on, the control circuit needs one of two things to happen to operate the fan:

The engine coolant temperature needs to meet or exceed 203°F (making the ECM switch on the ground to make the control relay pick up).
or, the triple pressure switch in the AC system needs to trip on high pressure (a parallel circuit makes up the ground for the control relay).

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i said screw it and ran a tranny cooler with built in fan haha plus it turns on a 180 and cools to 165

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
I finally researched this more to answer someone else's question.

The factory auxiliary fan works as follows.

With the ignition on, the control circuit needs one of two things to happen to operate the fan:

The engine coolant temperature needs to meet or exceed 203°F (making the ECM switch on the ground to make the control relay pick up).
or, the triple pressure switch in the AC system needs to trip on high pressure (a parallel circuit makes up the ground for the control relay).
Thanks Chris. Appreciate you looking that up for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts