Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
How did you come to that conclusion? I am still stuck between the two replacement options, components or 3-ways...what made you decide? Here is my delimma:

Option 1: Assuming no amp is already in the picture and if you have a 50x4 (20wrms) head unit, I have been advised to just stick high-quality 6x9s in the door, such as:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4219.html (price $20 lower on ebay)
that have a high sensitivity, and install and leave dash-mounted tweeter installed. This should maintain the high soundstage while not polluting the music..if it does, you can replace them later.

Option 2: Buy an amp and pay to have the whole system installed, which is what you will need to get clean sound from a component set. They are supposed to sound better, but I am not sure that I want to pay that much. I was looking at the MBQuarts and boston accoustics, the best fit being the MBs:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13546
That is a 6x9!!! and a tweeter, but they are also muy caro and would require an amp.
Argh, the choices. The sensitivity on most all components will require the amp, and I would rather save the money.

I think I will probably install the infinity kappas all the way around. If they dont give me what i want, i will amp them. if they still dont rock, they will be sold and replaced. not too bad an opition, and for about the same price as 1 set of MBQs - not to mention another 6.5 for the rear and an amp.

Either way, hope that prompts you to reconsider - let me iknow whatcha think as i am having quite a delimma....
any input is greatly appreciated!

PS, I would go with the infinitys.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had the infinity reference components before and they sounded great! I already have a rf amp which I wil be using, so I probably will stick with infinity or rf.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
ah, already got the amp!

nice- then I would assume that components are the way to go. I am jealous!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since you've already heard the Infinity then try to listen to the MAs at a shop. MA makes good products as well. The only complaint I've heard on Infinity is that the tweeter is a little harsh. Anyway, components are almost a must. Much better than coaxials if you set em up right. But I'm an audio guy 8)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
ynot818 said:
Since you've already heard the Infinity then try to listen to the MAs at a shop. MA makes good products as well. The only complaint I've heard on Infinity is that the tweeter is a little harsh. Anyway, components are almost a must. Much better than coaxials if you set em up right. But I'm an audio guy 8)
but only with an amp, right? are there any components that have good enough efficiency to run off a 20wRMS head unit (ie, 50x4)? Would the MBs, MAs or Infinity components be the way to go?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would go with the infinity. the MA need a larger amp due to the rms being 150 verses 90 watts. i went with JL audio componets ZR-570-csi

·
Registered
62 Posts
characterzero said:
ynot818 said:
but only with an amp, right? are there any components that have good enough efficiency to run off a 20wRMS head unit (ie, 50x4)? Would the MBs, MAs or Infinity components be the way to go?
Honestly to use the components (any) properly you would have to get an external amp. Some coaxials might be better for you off the H/U. You will definitely notice the difference once you amp them up.
MB are awsome speakers. But it should really be what sounds better to you. Listen to a few at some shops and then decide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts