Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the Forum setting. I am fully retired, Coast Guard as the Chief Engineer (Motor Killer) I was trained in Boat engines and have worked with the vehicles in the Coast Guard. I have just bought my 1st 2010 Nissan Frontier SE, V6. It is a replacement to a 2010 Toyota. I have owned the Frontier for only 1 day. I noticed a sound on the passenger side when accelerating and breaking there is a sound of something sliding back and forth. I pulled the Cabin Filler and I don;t think it has been changed in years. Lots of leaves and dust. Noise still there when stating and stopping. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome aboard, Chief!

My father was USCGR in the late 50's , early 60's in Southern California.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Check both glove boxes. There is 2. the bottom glove opens down and the top glove box opens up.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to the Forum setting. I am fully retired, Coast Guard as the Chief Engineer (Motor Killer) I was trained in Boat engines and have worked with the vehicles in the Coast Guard. I have just bought my 1st 2010 Nissan Frontier SE, V6. It is a replacement to a 2010 Toyota. I have owned the Frontier for only 1 day. I noticed a sound on the passenger side when accelerating and breaking there is a sound of something sliding back and forth. I pulled the Cabin Filler and I don;t think it has been changed in years. Lots of leaves and dust. Noise still there when stating and stopping. Any suggestions?
Does it sound like it's coming from inside the cab, or outside? Does it sound like metal or... not metal? First thing I would do is clean out the cab including stuff in the glove boxes, center console, under the seats, door pockets, etc. Also look under the hood for obvious things (e.g. make sure the battery is properly secured).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it sound like it's coming from inside the cab, or outside? Does it sound like metal or... not metal? First thing I would do is clean out the cab including stuff in the glove boxes, center console, under the seats, door pockets, etc. Also look under the hood for obvious things (e.g. make sure the battery is properly secured).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like it is inside the cab, directly under the glove box. It also sounds like sand moving to the braking and accelerating.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check both glove boxes. There is 2. the bottom glove opens down and the top glove box opens up.
Both are empty. It sounds like sand or gravel is sliding around. I turned off the fan and the sound is still present when I accelerate and when I brake.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to thank everyone that provide suggestions on what the sand/gravel noise might be and where to look. Update, I went to the local Harbor Freight and bought a automotive stethoscope. I had my son in law drive the truck making quick start and sudden stops. I was able to pin point the noise to the area of the passenger side door frame. Once we got back home, I crawled under the truck and found ....... NOTHING. Then my son in law suggested pulling the base mounting for the door and found ...... ABOUT 1000 BB's. Rolling forward and backwards the the wire chase in the base of the frame. Took about 45 min using a small magnet to get them ALL out. The previous owner was a hunter and I think he might of had children and some spent an entire box of BB's. Now we known what and where the sound was from. THANKs again to ALL

·
Registered
476 Posts
I went in 1974 and retired 1996. What did your father do while he was in?
His unit did some testing on self-righting boats up in Washington/Oregon when they got called up for active duty for about 6 months. He also flew as a fill in crew member on some flying boats out of Southern California, mostly old WWII Navy planes. I think one may have been called a Pelican.

He did alot of shore stuff being in the Reserve.

Two of my nephews are currently in the Coast Guard, one in Corpus Christi and one in OCS (or whatever it's called) in Cape May.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
His unit did some testing on self-righting boats up in Washington/Oregon when they got called up for active duty for about 6 months. He also flew as a fill in crew member on some flying boats out of Southern California, mostly old WWII Navy planes. I think one may have been called a Pelican.

He did alot of shore stuff being in the Reserve.

Two of my nephews are currently in the Coast Guard, one in Corpus Christi and one in OCS (or whatever it's called) in Cape May.
Your dad was on the original pilot program for the current 47 foot Motor Life Boat. I was station on Martha Vineyard and we had a 44 foot Motor Life Boat which was the first self righting boat, I believe. The 47 was the replacement for the 44. I never got to get on the one that replaced ours. I was promoted to Chief and transferred to Atlanta to recruit. I enjoyed my 22 years in the Guard. Thank you for your father and your cousins for their service

·
Registered
476 Posts
Your dad was on the original pilot program for the current 47 foot Motor Life Boat. I was station on Martha Vineyard and we had a 44 foot Motor Life Boat which was the first self righting boat, I believe. The 47 was the replacement for the 44. I never got to get on the one that replaced ours. I was promoted to Chief and transferred to Atlanta to recruit. I enjoyed my 22 years in the Guard. Thank you for your father and your cousins for their service
Dad said the self-righting boat testing SUCKED!! Out in the morning and evenings to catch the tides and lots I f seas sickness!:sick:
Thanks for your service!🇺🇲

·
Registered
Great truck
1,031 Posts
PRO-4NTX, who is your nephew here in corpus? if he cycles, I might know him. we have a few cg guys who cycle and ride with us occasionally.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dad said the self-righting boat testing SUCKED!! Out in the morning and evenings to catch the tides and lots I f seas sickness!:sick:
Thanks for your service!🇺🇲
The waters off the coast of Washington is some if not the worst in US. The rough water Coxswain school is in WA. I was a boat Engineer and they were even looking of some of us to go to the school. I am not afraid of much, but I declined the opportunity. Water in the FL Keys don't get the rough, Your dad was a hero to a lot of the guys, that boat saved their lives and they lived to tell about their adventure.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The waters off the coast of Washington is some if not the worst in US. The rough water Coxswain school is in WA. I was a boat Engineer and they were even looking of some of us to go to the school. I am not afraid of much, but I declined the opportunity. Water in the FL Keys don't get the rough, Your dad was a hero to a lot of the guys, that boat saved their lives and they lived to tell about their adventure.
That means a lot to me, Chief! I wish my dad was still alive so I could show him this :cry:

·
Registered
476 Posts
PRO-4NTX, who is your nephew here in corpus? if he cycles, I might know him. we have a few cg guys who cycle and ride with us occasionally.
So, the one nephew there is currently at Cape May, but his wife and kids live on base in Corpus still. The second, nephew (they are half brothers), is in the delayed entry program(? Not sure if thst is the correct name) and is a junior in college at CCA&M. He just finished basic at Cape May this summer, and has to serve 8 hours per month while he finishes college.

Buseman, are you a Coastie, too?

·
Registered
Great truck
1,031 Posts
no, I am ex-army and work on base now as a gov civilian. my oldest son is a junior at a&m cc, though. he is in the rotc program so maybe they know each other. my oldest son thought of going reserve or national guard while in school to have a bit of extra money but I think he chose to just concentrate on school.

there are very very few families still living on base here. like maybe 15 or 20 so they are super lucky to be here. since they moved the navy minesweepers out and the coast guard built their new station inland, I have not seen any coast guard guys here on the physical base. I guess just till your nephew finishes training and then they will be on to new stations. its funny how small the world really is when you start talking on the net

·
Registered
476 Posts
no, I am ex-army and work on base now as a gov civilian. my oldest son is a junior at a&m cc, though. he is in the rotc program so maybe they know each other. my oldest son thought of going reserve or national guard while in school to have a bit of extra money but I think he chose to just concentrate on school.

there are very very few families still living on base here. like maybe 15 or 20 so they are super lucky to be here. since they moved the navy minesweepers out and the coast guard built their new station inland, I have not seen any coast guard guys here on the physical base. I guess just till your nephew finishes training and then they will be on to new stations. its funny how small the world really is when you start talking on the net
Are you at the Army Air Depot?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts