Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Compared a 16 Taco and my 15 P4x

10K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  Goalkeep 
#1 ·
Went over to a buddy's house to install a 2" lift (OME lift coils and shocks).

Had a chance to compare his new 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad and my 2015 Pro-4x.

Initial Impressions: The Taco has a couple more tech innovations like the crawl system, auto-lsd braking, user interface (check tire pressure, pitch, elevation), push button start, and proximity entry/unlock. It has additional nice touches as well, like blinkers on mirrors, LED running strips.
However, no leather seats, heated seats, cargo lamp, backup sensors, or sunroof. Some of these aren't too important, but the Taco also costs more...
The Frontier has the beefier tie down system as well.

Engine: The 3.6L is impressive matched with the 6speed auto. It gets decent mileage and seems to have more pick up and go than the 4.0 in my Nissan. However, during the trial drag race between the two trucks, the Frontier's torque beat the Taco for the first 200'. But after the 3.6 had a chance to wind up and go through the gears, the Taco pulls away consistently. Also bear in mind the Extended cab Taco is roughly 600 or so pounds lighter than my Frontier.

Suspension: The stock Taco suspension is better offroad. On-road I didn't see a difference, but offroad, the Taco is smoother over whoops, bumps, and trenches. We diddn't get to check articulation. The Taco's tires are subpar though, and don't compare to the Hankooks that come stock on Pro-4xs. Due to the increases tire size, the ground clearance under diff is about 0.5" better on the Frontier stock. But the clearance under frame on the Taco is much better. The Taco does have that horrible nose, that my buddy will be fixing with a bumper shortly.

Bonus frontier flex pics...

See less See more
#3 ·
Well we didn't do any interstate or towing with it, but it gets up and moves faster than my 5000# Fronty. There's also an eco and PWR mode....power mode is much sweeter, maybe its hunting for gears in eco.

#4 ·
Is it true or not that the Tacoma has rear drum brakes?

Clint

#6 ·
I've had 11 new pickups since 1985 and only the 1985 had rear drums, why is Toyota still in the dark ages on this?
Yes, they are nice trucks but the cost difference isn't worth that cost.

Clint

#7 ·
Talking with the owner about that very issue, he said he isn't concerned since most of the braking is done by the front brakes anyway. In addition, in his 20 years of owning trucks, drums aren't very troublesome.

#8 ·
Yes, they will stop the truck but it's such old technology, it is one area that is not want. I see the put metal bed sides back on instead is an all plastic bed, that alone kept me from buying a Tacoma even though I liked the looks of them.
I miss my six speed so much that once the jeep pick up back out I'll jump ship after 21 years of Nissan trucks. My Wrangler is enough fun with the manual that I'm sure I'll like their truck too.

Clint

#9 ·
My buddies' response. Works for me. The new price of the Tacos is the biggest tripping point for me.

I'm all for discs out back, but without some real data on how much better they are...
Discs modulate better and have more control, they shed water better, but DO get sh!+ on them faster.
Drums have more stopping power period... But can't be modulated as easily, can't shed heat as well, and will pack with sh!+ eventually.

The long and short of it though.... We're talking about a mid sized 6cylinder truck that has no business towing more than 10k or camping out in a silty mud hole... It's a moot point. Lol

#10 ·
My biggest complaints with Tacomas has always been the seating position and the lack of cushioning in the seat bottom. They aren't very comfortable on a long trip. I haven't driven a brand new one, yet, but I've heard they've only marginally improved in that area.

#11 ·
That's a great point to make, imagine being all excited to buy a new truck and then end up uncomfortable driving it. I have driven non stop except for gas and restroom breaks from Delray Beach Florida to North Jersey, 19 hours-26 minutes and was very tired but zero seating complaints. I only did that because I absolutely had to be home for an appointment.

#16 ·
Most likely they want the Titan to stand out as new by itself, then next year the Frontier will have its own spotlight. As of now I've still only seen 2 second generation trucks on the road but many of the vans everywhere.

Clint

#18 ·
About a year ago I was shopping for a new vehicle. I went to look at the 2016 Tacoma and a similarly equipped one when compared to my 4x4 SV was mid to upper 30's at the cheapest I could locate. A full $10k more than my 4x4 SV. In addition, I couldn't find a long bed to save my life, I am not even sure they make a 6' bed in a 4 door 4x4 Tacoma in all honesty. I never finished my research because of the price.

#19 ·
I am guessing the biggest difference with the pro 4x as far as off road capability is the locking differential compared to the Toyota?
For me the Toyota does not look right. Looks like Toyota tried to copy the front of a dodge ram.
I was surprised to read that the Toyota was quicker than your frontier.
I really like the low end torque in the frontier where you don't have to wind it up to get moving.
Guessing you have to twist the Toyota motor up to get the power out of it.

#21 ·
TFL Truck

TFL Truck on YouTube do a great off road challenge between the P4X, TRD, GMC & Ridgeline. The P4X was the choice of all but one who chose the Ridgeline (for city use only.) The Frontier has not been updated in some time but in my opinion if it's not broke don't fix it. Yes the Tacoma has some nice upgrades in technology compared to the Frontier but after test driving a TRD, SR5 and a Frontier SV I purchased the SV based on seat comfort, engine performance and I am always skeptical on a first year redesign. I did notice an annoying "wine" on the Taco's while in 4WD which also made me hesitant on purchasing one. The largest decision was based on price, like is mentioned earlier in this thread, I could not justify a $5000 increase in price for a little technology. My daily commute is 3 hours round trip on some rough VT and NY roads, so seat comfort was very important. I will say that the stock suspension on my SV is subpar compared to other vehicles I've owned and plan on upgrading that sooner than latter.

#23 ·
Compraison

Until Ford and Dodge get back in the small truck game that is what competition is. It may not be apples to apples, although looking at a GMC All Terrain in person, they still have the wind diffuser under the front bumper and the only real upgrade is a wheel and tire package, no suspension. Of course the Ridgeline is not built to be an off road machine, but I will say I had a 2015 Rav4 for a year and that was surprisingly amazing in mild off road conditions and in snow. So it's sad that the ridgeline does not have a transmission/ oil cooler to give it some off road potential.

#24 ·
I have 2 buddy's with 2016 tacos. One is a trd sport ext cab 6 speed manual. He loves it. Hauls with it (yard work stuff, 144" track mountain sled) and we even wheeled China wall with it in stock form. It bumped and banged but did well.

My other buddy has a fully loaded 2016 cc trd off-road. Has had nothing but issues. On his 3rd diff already (rear I believe), gear oil already black after 1000 miles of easy driving. Tons of knocks and pops from front end and endless gear hunting pulling his really little (less than 1000lb) pop-up camper. Very disappointed, wishes he had his 25year old Cherokee back

It just depends. I like the dash cluster that shows the speed limit on gps, mirror blinkers and some of the tech. However the door sills make me feel even shorter than I am at 5'6". I hate the cross member that hangs below the frame that is ever present on every lifted Toyota way too low. I love my fronty

#29 ·
I had a 2012 Tacoma TRD O/R and loved it but wasnt in a place in my life where I needed a truck so got rid of it a year later. It had several pet peeves IMO regarding wind noise, poor stereo, no sunroof, driveline shudder and some other minor things but all in all was a great truck. When I got back to the point of wanting another truck I had a major hard on for the 2016 Taco's. I never actually drove one cuz of all the feedback on the issues I was seeing. I felt like if I'm going to build an overlanding rig I want bulletproof which it wasnt anymore. Then I started looking into what I'd want options and trim wise and the Tacoma was coming to be more than the Frontier I got by a couple grand even even without negotiating for a deal given that it had a few things the Frontier didnt (Crawl control, BLIS etc) but they were things I didnt care about.

I'm really glad that I got the Frontier. Its very capable off road. Got all its kinks sorted. Stereo rocks, has a sunroof leather heated seats etc. Great for a DD and very comfortable on long trips both on and offroad. I also looked into aftermarket and yeah the Taco has more support but for the things I want to do and parts I need, I wasnt saving a fortune on aftermarket parts by getting a Tacoma cuz they are cheaper so all in all I feel like the Frontier though older is better. Not to mention the Tacoma's design language is not exactly flattering form every angle which I feel like the Frontier does a much better job of.

Reactions: NYCe_Frontier
#30 ·
This. It is much more about personal opinion than disc vs drum, a torque increase of 20 ft*lb, or techy features. I like the way my truck looks more, but the 16 taco is a fine truck. I would take one if given to me and be happy about it, but I wouldn't trade my Frontier for one.

I also am looking into getting into overlanding/offcamping. And hopefully me and my buddy will be taking similarly modded pickups (similar lifts, armor, etc) on trails in the future, so we can continue the comparison under duress and I will report back.

#37 ·
My Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 5A was only 150-200lbs lighter than my Frontier King cab Pro-4x 6MT. The Tacoma was no where near as robust as my Frontier.

C channel frame
Composite bed & flimsy tail gate
Stamped steel rear axle
Paper thin body panels & skids
Smaller all season tires
Tiny steering shaft
Smaller fuel tank

It also lacked the locker and various interior amenities. Strange that they are so heavy.

#39 ·
I will be purchasing a new truck this fall. I use to have a 2006 Tacoma. Loved it. It was totaled in a wreck.

I have looked at and test drove a 2016 Tacoma OR 4x4. I have also looked at and test drove a 2016 Nissan Pro 4x. The Tacoma does have more "gee wiz" electronics compared to the Frontier. But I don't need or want some of the new electrics. Also not a big fan of some of the collision warning stuff on the Tacoma.

I found the Nissan to have more comfortable seats. Thought the overall ride was good in the Nissan. Toyota seats lack seat adjustments.The Nissan has a better tie down system for cargo. I was not that impressed with the engine/transmission (auto) combination on the Toyota. I much preferred the Frontier, even though it gets less mpg. Toyota does have a tighter turn circle. But after driving a Dodge Ram since 2009, the Nissan turn circle is just fine for me.

Hopefully in the next few months I will pick up a Nissan Pro 4x CC. The Toyota and the Chevy Twins are much higher. imo, the best bang for the buck is the Frontier, even though some have said it is dated.

#40 ·
Since 2003 I have owned 2 Tacos and 3 Frontiers. My 2003 Taco was a lousy truck that spent a lot of time in service. My 2015, which I only kept 7 months, was just as bad. In the 7 months I owned the Taco it needed a Passenger door adjustment (fit), a Driver side interior door panel replacement, HVAC motor replacement (and the replacement went bad) and Passenger side Strut replacement. At 7000 miles, when it developed an extremely rough idle, I was done.

I drove the 2016 Taco (and the GM twins) before going back to the Frontier. I was not impressed with the 2016 Taco and considering the price difference the Frontier was no-brainer.

#42 ·
I currently have an 06 CC Short Bed. It rides like crap, and has more front end noises than ever, but I am comfortable in it.
What I really want is a Crew Cab Long Bed, as I'd like to haul my Tractor around and Kayaks with a bit more confidence. Sure I can get an SV, or an SL both with the 6 foot bed, but Nissan won't give me what I want- which is a Crew Cab Long Bed Pro-4X.

Toyota will- I can get the Terd Off-Road with Long Bed. I really like the looks of the 2016 and up Tacoma, but I'm not a fan of the Composite Bed- as I am not adverse to having a front end loader drop Loam, or crushed Rock or recycled asphalt in my bed. The CCLB version of the Toyota looks better than the CCLB version of the Frontier.

I'm thinking the answer for me it getting the SV CCLB with Value Truck Package. With the cost difference- I can get better suspension components.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.