Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went over to a buddy's house to install a 2" lift (OME lift coils and shocks).

Had a chance to compare his new 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad and my 2015 Pro-4x.

Initial Impressions: The Taco has a couple more tech innovations like the crawl system, auto-lsd braking, user interface (check tire pressure, pitch, elevation), push button start, and proximity entry/unlock. It has additional nice touches as well, like blinkers on mirrors, LED running strips.
However, no leather seats, heated seats, cargo lamp, backup sensors, or sunroof. Some of these aren't too important, but the Taco also costs more...
The Frontier has the beefier tie down system as well.

Engine: The 3.6L is impressive matched with the 6speed auto. It gets decent mileage and seems to have more pick up and go than the 4.0 in my Nissan. However, during the trial drag race between the two trucks, the Frontier's torque beat the Taco for the first 200'. But after the 3.6 had a chance to wind up and go through the gears, the Taco pulls away consistently. Also bear in mind the Extended cab Taco is roughly 600 or so pounds lighter than my Frontier.

Suspension: The stock Taco suspension is better offroad. On-road I didn't see a difference, but offroad, the Taco is smoother over whoops, bumps, and trenches. We diddn't get to check articulation. The Taco's tires are subpar though, and don't compare to the Hankooks that come stock on Pro-4xs. Due to the increases tire size, the ground clearance under diff is about 0.5" better on the Frontier stock. But the clearance under frame on the Taco is much better. The Taco does have that horrible nose, that my buddy will be fixing with a bumper shortly.

Bonus frontier flex pics...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Over at TW forum, some 3G posters complain about the 3.6 and the transmission. It does a great deal of gear hunting. etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over at TW forum, some 3G posters complain about the 3.6 and the transmission. It does a great deal of gear hunting. etc.
Well we didn't do any interstate or towing with it, but it gets up and moves faster than my 5000# Fronty. There's also an eco and PWR mode....power mode is much sweeter, maybe its hunting for gears in eco.

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
Is it true or not that the Tacoma has rear drum brakes?

Clint

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
I've had 11 new pickups since 1985 and only the 1985 had rear drums, why is Toyota still in the dark ages on this?
Yes, they are nice trucks but the cost difference isn't worth that cost.

Clint

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had 11 new pickups since 1985 and only the 1985 had rear drums, why is Toyota still in the dark ages on this?
Yes, they are nice trucks but the cost difference isn't worth that cost.

Clint
Talking with the owner about that very issue, he said he isn't concerned since most of the braking is done by the front brakes anyway. In addition, in his 20 years of owning trucks, drums aren't very troublesome.

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
Yes, they will stop the truck but it's such old technology, it is one area that is not want. I see the put metal bed sides back on instead is an all plastic bed, that alone kept me from buying a Tacoma even though I liked the looks of them.
I miss my six speed so much that once the jeep pick up back out I'll jump ship after 21 years of Nissan trucks. My Wrangler is enough fun with the manual that I'm sure I'll like their truck too.

Clint

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, they will stop the truck but it's such old technology, it is one area that is not want. I see the put metal bed sides back on instead is an all plastic bed, that alone kept me from buying a Tacoma even though I liked the looks of them.
I miss my six speed so much that once the jeep pick up back out I'll jump ship after 21 years of Nissan trucks. My Wrangler is enough fun with the manual that I'm sure I'll like their truck too.

Clint

My buddies' response. Works for me. The new price of the Tacos is the biggest tripping point for me.

I'm all for discs out back, but without some real data on how much better they are...
Discs modulate better and have more control, they shed water better, but DO get sh!+ on them faster.
Drums have more stopping power period... But can't be modulated as easily, can't shed heat as well, and will pack with sh!+ eventually.

The long and short of it though.... We're talking about a mid sized 6cylinder truck that has no business towing more than 10k or camping out in a silty mud hole... It's a moot point. Lol

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
My biggest complaints with Tacomas has always been the seating position and the lack of cushioning in the seat bottom. They aren't very comfortable on a long trip. I haven't driven a brand new one, yet, but I've heard they've only marginally improved in that area.

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
That's a great point to make, imagine being all excited to buy a new truck and then end up uncomfortable driving it. I have driven non stop except for gas and restroom breaks from Delray Beach Florida to North Jersey, 19 hours-26 minutes and was very tired but zero seating complaints. I only did that because I absolutely had to be home for an appointment.

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Last time off road there was a Tacoma and his rear drums filled with mud and made a horrible screeching noise for a few miles down the trail. I'll take disks.....

Also, can you explain the "Auto-LSD braking" thing you mentioned? Your truck has "ABLS"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last time off road there was a Tacoma and his rear drums filled with mud and made a horrible screeching noise for a few miles down the trail. I'll take disks.....

Also, can you explain the "Auto-LSD braking" thing you mentioned? Your truck has "ABLS"
It is in theory the same, but I've never seen mine work with one wheel with no traction in 4hi...his did.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Not a fan, Owned an '06 SR5 4.0L 4wd for many years. It was a massive disappointment after owning many great Toyota trucks previously. The '16 carries over a lot from the '05-'15 trucks and I want nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I dont understand why nissan is so reluctant to update the frontier. Considering my dad had an 06 g35 with all of the features you mentioned that toyota had. A decade ago they had these features, sure its a "luxury car" but when do things trickle down?

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
Most likely they want the Titan to stand out as new by itself, then next year the Frontier will have its own spotlight. As of now I've still only seen 2 second generation trucks on the road but many of the vans everywhere.

Clint

·
Registered
532 Posts
Most likely they want the Titan to stand out as new by itself, then next year the Frontier will have its own spotlight. As of now I've still only seen 2 second generation trucks on the road but many of the vans everywhere.

Clint
Probably because it's ugly and overpriced. I live in the NYC area and I have only seen 1 on the road.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
About a year ago I was shopping for a new vehicle. I went to look at the 2016 Tacoma and a similarly equipped one when compared to my 4x4 SV was mid to upper 30's at the cheapest I could locate. A full $10k more than my 4x4 SV. In addition, I couldn't find a long bed to save my life, I am not even sure they make a 6' bed in a 4 door 4x4 Tacoma in all honesty. I never finished my research because of the price.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am guessing the biggest difference with the pro 4x as far as off road capability is the locking differential compared to the Toyota?
For me the Toyota does not look right. Looks like Toyota tried to copy the front of a dodge ram.
I was surprised to read that the Toyota was quicker than your frontier.
I really like the low end torque in the frontier where you don't have to wind it up to get moving.
Guessing you have to twist the Toyota motor up to get the power out of it.

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
I am guessing the biggest difference with the pro 4x as far as off road capability is the locking differential compared to the Toyota?
For me the Toyota does not look right. Looks like Toyota tried to copy the front of a dodge ram.
I was surprised to read that the Toyota was quicker than your frontier.
I really like the low end torque in the frontier where you don't have to wind it up to get moving.
Guessing you have to twist the Toyota motor up to get the power out of it.
Don't some of the TRD trim levels also come with a selectable rear locker?

Top end power over low end torque is useless to me when it comes to trucks.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts