Nissan Frontier Forum banner

501 - 520 of 552 Posts

·
Read Only
90 Posts
Dang, sounds like you're having a lot of problems. Hopefully this is all I have to deal with. I love the truck so far. Tacoma was the only other truck I'd buy and it was way out of my price range. I had a frontier before and loved it.
My 2017 Pro4X has been a nightmare from the start. I too had a Frontier previously, a 2006, and that was an excellent truck, but Nissan's quality/reliability have fallen dramatically since the Renault acquisition. I will be selling my Frontier next year and replacing it with a Tacoma. The Tacoma is certainly a bit overpriced, but it's definitely a reliable truck with excellent residual value, so I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Mentioned before. Weak front differential.
Spider gears fail.
Got it figured out but it is a expensive fix!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2017 Pro4X has been a nightmare from the start. I too had a Frontier previously, a 2006, and that was an excellent truck, but Nissan's quality/reliability have fallen dramatically since the Renault acquisition. I will be selling my Frontier next year and replacing it with a Tacoma. The Tacoma is certainly a bit overpriced, but it's definitely a reliable truck with excellent residual value, so I think it's worth it.
Well I'm gonna try to keep my glass half full here. We will see what happens. They have to honor warranties and lemon law here is pretty strict. I just didn't want to buy used and couldn't afford the Tacoma.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the most part, this is about my 2011 Frontier Pro4X (and I used to have a 2006 Frontier XE):

1) Valve knocking or metal on metal sound in the engine on startup, sometimes after a few days of sitting or after one night, mostly when the engine is cold.
2) The Plastic dashboard is making sounds like crackling while traveling. I have pushed down on so many things and I can't find the sound.
3) Driver side window tilts a little back/forth and on roll up it's slower than the passenger side. Happened in my 2006 XE and is happening on my 2011 Pro4X
4) Transmission is starting to kind of shift hard into 2nd gear. It really happened in my '06 XE a lot. I hated it.

I think that's it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For the most part, this is about my 2011 Frontier Pro4X (and I used to have a 2006 Frontier XE):

1) Valve knocking or metal on metal sound in the engine on startup, sometimes after a few days of sitting or after one night, mostly when the engine is cold.
2) The Plastic dashboard is making sounds like crackling while traveling. I have pushed down on so many things and I can't find the sound.
3) Driver side window tilts a little back/forth and on roll up it's slower than the passenger side. Happened in my 2006 XE and is happening on my 2011 Pro4X
4) Transmission is starting to kind of shift hard into 2nd gear. It really happened in my '06 XE a lot. I hated it.

I think that's it.
That really sucks man.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2019 frontier with the regular touchscreen radio. Anyone have issues with the HU randomly restarting itself while playing BT music? I've only had it for 3 days and it's done this twice. Using an iPhone 11 Pro and Google Music.

Also, update on the condensation in the headlight issue. Took to dealer today so they could see the condensation. I did this so they won't have to try and duplicate it when I take it in. Dropping off Monday to have it looked at. I don't like what the service manager said to me though. I said I want it replaced and his response was "this happens sometimes, it'll probably go away". This may be a battle. It's not going away buddy. Give me a break...
Update: dealer replaced light under warranty and sent the old one back to be tested, so good on them. Sounds like they're making an actual effort to figure out if it could be a widespread problem instead of trashing it or not caring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2018 SV and have been less than impressed on some things:

1. I have just over 6K miles and it has already been to the shop for brake issues twice. Squealing both times. They said the pads were glazed the first time and change the rotors and pads the second time. I'm hoping this fixes it. They are convinced I ride the brakes (i'm not).

2. Dash / windshield pillar material. On a hot day, the sun heats things up and the sun shades sticks to the dash, in the gap by the dash/windshield, and the side pillars. I leave the windows cracked and live in Colorado. It's not like I live in Phoenix.

3. There are a couple of plastic covers over the bolts that hold the passenger side assist handle on the windshield pillar. I was going down a road, went over a railroad track, and one of the tabs broke off. Maybe it was partly broke when they put it in. I can't see the windshield flexing that much.

It is still the most comfortable truck of those I test drove and am reconciling myself to knowing I was paying less and need to deal with it. It's still a good truck overall.

·
Banned
219 Posts
pretty minor stuff IMO. can't dealer pickup cost of a new plastic bolt cover? seems factory stuck in a defective one. Not sure it's the trucks fault if your sunshield sticks on interior surfaces -maybe a different sunshield...? Colorado known for some hills....maybe a little more serious braking happens there than for us flatlanders? Seriously, good luck with your truck.. Mine has only 200 miles so no complaints yet..?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have this SAME issue going on with mine... i'm guessing it's the belt... will tell them to change it during my 30k service
Mine is worse the warmer the outside temperature is. Either way, it goes away once the truck is warmed up. Let me know if the belt change fixed yours. I hope that's all it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2010 Frontier. It has a clatter something like piston slap upon startup. It goes away when warm. Truck has 140000 km (90 miles approx). Has not affected the engine in any way and I take it to redline often enough in the first two gears.
I bought my 06 at 138k mi 7 years ago. Rattled at start up then just as it does today at 210k. Still only uses a quart of oil every 5k.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Damn! All these issue!

I have a 2013 SV 4x4 crewcab with 80k miles, 3” lift, 33” tires, ARB bumper and snorkel and without a single major issue. It burns half a quart of oil every 4-5k miles but that’s normal. I change diff and transmission oil every summer and keep up with all maintenance.
Knock on wood it stays that way..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2019 frontier sv crew cab. I've taken mini trips to big bear and other places that require going uphill and when I do I feel as if the truck kinda forces itself. The RPM doesn't seem to move from either 2k or 3k. Sometimes it even smells like something burnt. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Something learned from experience/a friends experience FWIW, our VQ(35/40 so far) engines dislike aftermarket (for me Stant) thermostats; after two(long story), I got an OEM one and no overheating since? hopefully this helps anyone who’s trying to figure out why their coolant is boiling lol..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a new 2019 SV 4x4 and it has been a headache. On day 1, had a rattle coming from the rear, come to find that there was no nut on the passenger side rear shock bolt (I fixed). The brakes were spongy, took back to the dealer and they bled the brakes. The auto transmission is useless. It upshifts way too soon (35 mph and I'm in overdrive with the torque converter locked, doesn't matter if I'm going uphill) and downshifts way too late, than it has to downshift 3 gears. Now I just keep overdrive off and it helps. And than there's the stereo. Constantly rebooting (50+ times), loosing all my settings, the sound sometimes doesn't work. Been back to the dealer twice and going again in 2 weeks. All on a new truck with 2000 miles on it!

·
Banned
219 Posts
wouldn't half that stuff have been evident on a simple test drive? None of those issues have cropped up in dicussions here that I recall. I don't know, just clocked 1500 on my new 2019 SV, have even done some towing, and it has been very good (knock). I am still adapting somewhat to the the automatic 5 speed which shifts unlike any of my previous vehicles but I really have no issues with it. Hope it all irons out soon for you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought a new 2019 SV 4x4 and it has been a headache. On day 1, had a rattle coming from the rear, come to find that there was no nut on the passenger side rear shock bolt (I fixed). The brakes were spongy, took back to the dealer and they bled the brakes. The auto transmission is useless. It upshifts way too soon (35 mph and I'm in overdrive with the torque converter locked, doesn't matter if I'm going uphill) and downshifts way too late, than it has to downshift 3 gears. Now I just keep overdrive off and it helps. And than there's the stereo. Constantly rebooting (50+ times), loosing all my settings, the sound sometimes doesn't work. Been back to the dealer twice and going again in 2 weeks. All on a new truck with 2000 miles on it!
I have a 2016 with ~40,000 miles and I have not experienced any of what you have. Maybe you could utilize the lemon law to make them replace it. Good luck and hopefully things get better

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2016 SV CC I bought new. It currently has 76K miles on it and I’ve gotta say I’m a little disappointed in how it’s held up. The OEM battery was done after less than two years, I’ve already had the tensioner pulleys replaced once and it looks like I’m gonna have to do it again, the passengers seat has a bad squeak when nobody’s sitting in it, it idles very rough at stop lights, the auto down on the drivers window no longer works right (only goes down about half way), and now there’s a bad grinding sound coming from the engine when the RPM’s get high in 1st and 2nd gear. And I’ve done every manufacturer recommended maintenance at the 5,000 mile intervals. I think I’m gonna pay it down a little more (trade-in value right now is only about $1,000 more than I owe) and trade it in on something else.

·
Banned
219 Posts
So in 4 years and almost 80M you bought a battery and tensioner pulleys? Wow, you really got ripped off with a Frontier. Maybe try a Ford or Chevy.. report back in a few months...Seriously, what do you expect to invest in maintenance in ANY vehicle? You could far worse than this truck IMO.

·
Registered
479 Posts
So in 4 years and almost 80M you bought a battery and tensioner pulleys? Wow, you really got ripped off with a Frontier. Maybe try a Ford or Chevy.. report back in a few months...Seriously, what do you expect to invest in maintenance in ANY vehicle? You could far worse than this truck IMO.
Exactly what I was thinking. Sounds normal to me.

501 - 520 of 552 Posts