Nissan Frontier Forum banner

481 - 500 of 543 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
What oil filter did you use? Not all filters out there have an anti-drainback valve, so swapping to a different filter is an easy troubleshoot, fwiw.
I switched from dealer's conventional/Dino oil to Amsoil Sig Series around the same mileage you did. No issues and now at 56k. About all you can do is switch brands as another viable troubleshoot.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Changed oil to valvoline synthetic... I use that in my 01 xterra with 220k miles

Seems to make less noise then it does with Amsoil. Also changed filter to wix xp. Might just stick with valvoline.

·
Registered
90 Posts
30k on 2016 Pro4X bought new. Only issue is warped front rotors / pedal pulsation. Not nec blaming truck though. This seems to happen to every vehicle I own eventually. I don’t have a heavy foot - but I think it’s what they use to melt snow in the roads locally damages rotors.

Good news is new rotors & ceramic pads are about $100 from Rock Auto and easy to hang.
I had warped rotors and a defective caliper (stuck piston) on my 2017 Pro4X. Too bad for me, my problems didn't become noticeable until the warranty on the brakes was expired because I drive a lot of miles. I also wound up having to replace a wheel bearing due to it being ruined by the vibration from the faulty caliper. And of course Nissan didn't cover any of it.

In addition to the brake problems, I also have a loud rattle behind my dash that's annoys the p*ss out of me, rust is already forming on my rear bumper, my RF stereo reboots randomly (I've had the firmware updated), my rear cross-traffic sensors have already quit working....

This truck has been a complete nightmare and Nissan has done NOTHING for me, even after calling their North American headquarters for help. Needless to say, I'm done with Nissan. They've lost me forever, at this point. I will be selling my Pro4x next spring and buying a Tacoma, which I should've done to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
19,618 Posts
I had warped rotors and a defective caliper (stuck piston) on my 2017 Pro4X. Too bad for me, my problems didn't become noticeable until the warranty on the brakes was expired because I drive a lot of miles. I also wound up having to replace a wheel bearing due to it being ruined by the vibration from the faulty caliper. And of course Nissan didn't cover any of it.

In addition to the brake problems, I also have a loud rattle behind my dash that's annoys the p*ss out of me, rust is already forming on my rear bumper, my RF stereo reboots randomly (I've had the firmware updated), my rear cross-traffic sensors have already quit working....

This truck has been a complete nightmare and Nissan has done NOTHING for me, even after calling their North American headquarters for help. Needless to say, I'm done with Nissan. They've lost me forever, at this point. I will be selling my Pro4x next spring and buying a Tacoma, which I should've done to begin with.
Or a 2006 Frontier. I still love mine and it's approaching 188,000 miles. Awesome truck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Or a 2006 Frontier. I still love mine and it's approaching 188,000 miles. Awesome truck.
The 2017 Pro4x is actually my 2nd Frontier. I owned a 2006 SL for 7 years and put almost 100,000 miles on it. That was a reliable truck, but Nissan has gone WAY down hill since then. As a company, they've turned me off for good...I'm moving on.

·
Super Moderator
19,618 Posts
The 2017 Pro4x is actually my 2nd Frontier. I owned a 2006 SL for 7 years and put almost 100,000 miles on it. That was a reliable truck, but Nissan has gone WAY down hill since then. As a company, they've turned me off for good...I'm moving on.
I hear you. I have only owned one Frontier and I'm glad that I chose the 06.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The current gen Frontier is considered very reliable by most sources and it should be being it hasn't changed much. It's a solid, reliable truck. I'd be more concerned about the next gen Frontier which will be revealed next year. That is likely to have a lot more upgraded technology, for better or worse.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm with dhectorg. I bought a 2000 crew cab new. Drove it 5 years, traded for new F150 in 06 for towing capacity. Mistake! The Ford was great, but didn't like it that much. Then traded it after 10 years for a 2014 Frontier crew cab. Love the 4.0, but the rest of the truck is so so! In 2010 the wife bought an Altima. Nissan warranted the motor at 42k miles. I to am done with Nissan. My truck is 5yrs old w/90k miles, rust coming out all over, exhaust rattles, motor rattles. The car, 9yrs old, 150k, rust out in the rear quarters. Replaced the front exhaust, brakes sucked since new, interior cloth is cheap. Not impressed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
To be honest, I have bought a relatively cheap Nissan frontier 2008 SE which has around 119,000 miles now. Some of the issues that I have came across is that the bearings wore out, Error codes PO455 and PO 447 which are thankfully fixed, tire pressure sensor goes out all the time which I can't be bothered anymore, and the recent one is where I am having a coolant leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
NO HEAT 06 Nismo 220,000 KMs. v/6
Water in rad low. Topped it off. Still no heat. On-line post suggested "burping" upper rad hose to purge air bubbles. Engine warmed up, rad cap off, squeezed upper hose to coax air from system while adding more fluid as needed.
HEAT IS BACK!!!! Now I'll have to monitor fluid level for leaks etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Crank no start. 06 Nismo v6
Replaced fuel pump in tank. No start.
I thought I checked all the fuses/relays. Watched video about pump issues.
Didn't know there was a second level of fuses underneath visible fuse box.
Swapped fog light relay to fuel pump position.
Started right up. $200 pump and 5 wasted hours. $5 relay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone had trouble with headlights having condensation in them after washing or raining? My 2019 is brand new and I have condensation in the driver side light. Taking it in tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
19,618 Posts
Anyone had trouble with headlights having condensation in them after washing or raining? My 2019 is brand new and I have condensation in the driver side light. Taking it in tomorrow.
I never had that problem with a factory OEM headlight. They are vented but the only time I did have condensation was with my modified headlights and there was a gap in the sealant bead between the lens and the housing. I had to remove it, take it apart then reseal it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I never had that problem with a factory OEM headlight. They are vented but the only time I did have condensation was with my modified headlights and there was a gap in the sealant bead between the lens and the housing. I had to remove it, take it apart then reseal it.
Yeah the truck has 100 miles on it. Already scheduled to go in tomorrow after work. I'm sure they'll take care of it for me. Just didn't know if it was common.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to forum hope this is the right place to post. Says I joined two months ago but this is my first post????
I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier SE V6 3.3 with 133,000 miles. In the last month when driving the temp gauge would go from normal shoot up to hot and then back to normal. Only start after having driven about 8 miles or so. It would continue to do this up down . I get home and does not appear to be over heated. I had both coolant sensors changed and had a new thermostat installed. Still happens but at times but maybe once then back to normal and stay there The shop I took it to changed the thermostat and drove it to the top of a local mountain and gauge was normal entire journey.Why does it do this some times and then not . If I drive no more than say 5 miles like to store and back never does it??? Confused!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Tink, I would recommend installing a real temp gauge and see what that shows. I have both transmission and engine coolant temps installed and listed the parts required to do this, on my build thread. Its a pretty easy install overall if you get the right parts beforehand, but if you use quality gauges ( I used AutoMeter ), it won't be particularly cheap, but I much much much prefer the peace of mind that having real actual readings provides, not the "idiot needle" that has three display positions, Cold, Running and YJRYE ( You Just Roasted Your Engine ). This is the second Gen gauge cluster but I'm guessing the first Gen probably follows that logic as well, and even if not, a confirmatory extra reading will never hurt. Another option would be an OBDII reading gauge or app, that could be used to confirm when the needle goes haywire again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2019 frontier with the regular touchscreen radio. Anyone have issues with the HU randomly restarting itself while playing BT music? I've only had it for 3 days and it's done this twice. Using an iPhone 11 Pro and Google Music.

Also, update on the condensation in the headlight issue. Took to dealer today so they could see the condensation. I did this so they won't have to try and duplicate it when I take it in. Dropping off Monday to have it looked at. I don't like what the service manager said to me though. I said I want it replaced and his response was "this happens sometimes, it'll probably go away". This may be a battle. It's not going away buddy. Give me a break...

·
Registered
90 Posts
2019 frontier with the regular touchscreen radio. Anyone have issues with the HU randomly restarting itself while playing BT music? I've only had it for 3 days and it's done this twice. Using an iPhone 11 Pro and Google Music.

Also, update on the condensation in the headlight issue. Took to dealer today so they could see the condensation. I did this so they won't have to try and duplicate it when I take it in. Dropping off Monday to have it looked at. I don't like what the service manager said to me though. I said I want it replaced and his response was "this happens sometimes, it'll probably go away". This may be a battle. It's not going away buddy. Give me a break...
I have the Rockford Fosgate stereo and I had a lot of random reboots, whether I was listening to radio, USB, etc. It's a known issue and I guess it's affecting the regular stereo as well. I had my firmware flashed at the dealership and that fixed my problem, so I suggest having your firmware updated to see if that resolves it.

As for the condensation issue, you should contact Nissan USA customer service at 800-647-7261 and get them involved. I did this with my many issues and they did absolutely nothing for me, but maybe you'll have better luck than I did. In any case, they absolutely should install a brand new headlight assembly.

If you had come here before buying a Frontier, I would have advised you to buy a different truck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Rockford Fosgate stereo and I had a lot of random reboots, whether I was listening to radio, USB, etc. It's a known issue and I guess it's affecting the regular stereo as well. I had my firmware flashed at the dealership and that fixed my problem, so I suggest having your firmware updated to see if that resolves it.

As for the condensation issue, you should contact Nissan USA customer service at 800-647-7261 and get them involved. I did this with my many issues and they did absolutely nothing for me, but maybe you'll have better luck than I did. In any case, they absolutely should install a brand new headlight assembly.

If you had come here before buying a Frontier, I would have advised you to buy a different truck!
Dang, sounds like you're having a lot of problems. Hopefully this is all I have to deal with. I love the truck so far. Tacoma was the only other truck I'd buy and it was way out of my price range. I had a frontier before and loved it.

481 - 500 of 543 Posts