Nissan Frontier Forum banner

461 - 480 of 583 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I will have owned my truck for 4 years come December. I have almost to 52k miles on it. I have not had any issues really. I have a few gripes about a few aspects of the design but I have not had any mechanical problems. I jack knifed my trailer and poked a hole in the bed, which I had to get fixed, but that was me being stupid and not the trucks fault.

I will say that my Toyota was built better as evidenced by little things like squeaks and rattles, etc. I am not sure it was enough better to justify the extra cost though. Overall I am still pretty happy with my truck.

My plan right now is to keep long term. I may retire it from being my daily driver in a couple of years but I do not plan to get rid of it. I may get a sedan that is good on gas for my daily driver once the truck is paid off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is it common to have a squeak/whistle in the engine bay on first start up for the day? To me sounds like a belt or a pulley. Mine is a 2016 with the V6 and 31,000 miles.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Is it common to have a squeak/whistle in the engine bay on first start up for the day? To me sounds like a belt or a pulley. Mine is a 2016 with the V6 and 31,000 miles.
Mine does not do that. Are you still under the factory bumper to bumper warranty? If so you should get the dealer to look at it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
30k on 2016 Pro4X bought new. Only issue is warped front rotors / pedal pulsation. Not nec blaming truck though. This seems to happen to every vehicle I own eventually. I don’t have a heavy foot - but I think it’s what they use to melt snow in the roads locally damages rotors.

Good news is new rotors & ceramic pads are about $100 from Rock Auto and easy to hang.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
30k on 2016 Pro4X bought new. Only issue is warped front rotors / pedal pulsation. Not nec blaming truck though. This seems to happen to every vehicle I own eventually. I don’t have a heavy foot - but I think it’s what they use to melt snow in the roads locally damages rotors.

Good news is new rotors & ceramic pads are about $100 from Rock Auto and easy to hang.
You might want to consider getting corrosion resistant rotors (a.k.a. "coated")next time. Rockauto has them and they aren't any more than most of the "regular" rotors. Or, Powerstop's got pad & rotor kits with zinc plated rotors that might be better if you tend to be a more "aggressive" braker.

Reactions: Zero Six LE

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine does not do that. Are you still under the factory bumper to bumper warranty? If so you should get the dealer to look at it.
No unfortunately I'm out of warranty based on time. Warranty ended a couple months ago, right before this started of course. Definitely sounds like a pulley. I just need to look at it and pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. It only happens on the first start of the day so I tend to forget about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
07 CrewCab:
Wiggley front passenger seat
Rod clatter when first started, cold or hot, untill the oil pressure comes up
Steering wheel Airbag Clock Spring creaks
Rear brake moan when backing up
I'm thinking the clatter is a heat shield or something. Mine (2013 desert runner king cab) does it only when cold, first start up of the day... For sure it's engine rods clattering?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
It's more likely "piston slap" than "rod knock" if it goes away after the cold start. "Piston slap" is usually not an issue to be concerned about.

·
Registered
54 Posts
After reading through the last 25 or so comments. I see I'm not alone with the squeaks, rattles, and so on. I bought my 2014 sv 4x4 crew cab at a year old in 2014 @ 24k miles. Told it was a lease return. Not! Was a Enterprise rental. Been wrecked, and supposedly hail damage. I know it's been hit. Entire right sides been dented, and new bed side. That will explain why the front right box mount is all cracked. Rust all over the right wheel openings. Stealership (Walser in Minn) at their finest. Exhaust rattles due to cracked & broken heat shield & straps. U joints twice. Power window issues. Tire pressure monitors since day one. Put a sticker over the light. Interior plastic was scratched up fromm ??? Fabric was clean when I first got it. Can't understand why it looks like crap. Part of buying used? Keep telling myself, it still beats paying for new! So far, it runs and drives great! Jury is out yet at 93k miles. Have a better stealership for warranty or recall stuff. I'm analysis about receipts for the warranty part. Nissan put a new motor in my Altima @ 42k.Not a question was asked when I gave them my records. That's why I like Nissan! Ford, GM, and worst of all was Chrysler, never came through on warranty stuff like Nissan does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
You might want to consider getting corrosion resistant rotors (a.k.a. "coated")next time. Rockauto has them and they aren't any more than most of the "regular" rotors. Or, Powerstop's got pad & rotor kits with zinc plated rotors that might be better if you tend to be a more "aggressive" braker.
I purchased the Raybestos version of these; but I’m fairly confident “corrosion resistant” rotors are basically a gimmick or just may keep the rotor hats looking better. The corrosion resistance on the rotor face is scraped off after the first mile of driving.

Really poor Nissan doesn’t cover this. Many auto manufacturers will at least cover to machine the rotors if the car is still under bumper to bumper warranty.

They say it’s a “wear item”. But is it normal for the factory rotors to wear out way before the factory pads? I’d say that’s abnormal wear, which would either be an engineering or manufacturing defect.

Lately I have a quick rattle at start up that sounds like a catalytic converters heat shields. This is all minor **** & I’ll take it over drivability, transmission, or CEL issues

·
Registered
256 Posts
I bought my 2014 sv 4x4 crew cab at a year old in 2014 @ 24k miles. Told it was a lease return. Not! Was a Enterprise rental.
That's typical. If you see a year old vehicle with around 20-30k, it's always a rental. They run them for a year or until they burn up 90% of the warranty mileage, whichever comes first, and then flip them onto the used market for almost what they paid for it.

I've had a few former rentals, and they were always mechanically well maintained, but that's not what you want if you're looking for something with a pristine body and interior. They've almost always been in at least one mishap resulting in damage to the body panels, and sometimes the repairs are subpar.

On the other hand, an actual lease return might still have a showroom finish on the paint, but the engine will be full of sludge because the person leasing it did exactly 3 oil changes in 36k.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not sure this is in the right spot, I bought a rental return from Enterprise Canada. the only damage on it was a dent on the cab where the passenger side bed rail top meets the cab. If you look at both sides of the box the passenger side has a bit of a curl that makes a point and sticks out a little allowing it to contact the cab . out of curiosity I stopped at the local dealer and checked all 4 2019 frontiers on the lot. Same thing. I'll be checking every frontier I see from now on to look for damage and the curl. I wonder how far back this deformity goes. I have a 2018 and its on 2019s also. What about yours?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have this SAME issue going on with mine... i'm guessing it's the belt... will tell them to change it during my 30k service

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2016 SV bought ew in March 2017. My battery died on me 3 weeks ago. I have never had a battery die that soon.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a 2016 SV bought ew in March 2017. My battery died on me 3 weeks ago. I have never had a battery die that soon.
The quality of OEM batteries seems to have dropped lately, and Nissan is no exception. I saw a picture somewhere, probably here, of an OEM Nissan battery that had the removable caps. I haven't seen one of those in ages, and it was leaking acid all over the terminals.

Mine is fine so far, but I don't expect it to last 5-10 years like they used to.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
It's not just the OEM batteries, but the aftermarket batteries that don't seem to last like they used to. If you get 4-years out of a battery these days, you did good!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Despite manufacturer’s claims, I’m less than impressed with “battery technology”. Doesn’t matter if it’s for your car, cell phone or flashlight... they all seem to suck.

·
Registered
253 Posts
2019 v6
Changed to Amsoil 5-30 at 13k miles and now I have a slight lifter/valve/piston slap after startup. Seems to quiet down a bit after about 15-20 mins of driving.

Anyone else notice this? It’s not the fuel injectors it’s a little bit louder and more rhythmic

461 - 480 of 583 Posts