Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love pushing my trucks limits however some times I push it to far. One of the reoccurring problems, I have ran into with my first gen frontier is alternator failure. (shorted out/ sized up )
Does anyone else have this problem

Is there a way to counter the poor design of an alternator on the bottom of the engine? Or am I going to have to take it of every other time I go wheeling to fix the issue?

Also I want to here what y'all break alot?

What parts I should keep in the truck as a quick spare?

What is the worst damage you have done
wheeling your Nissan's... ECT

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,736 Posts
Worst damage - I buckled my frame when smashing into a large rock. Otherwise, the truck has been solid. Both lower and upper ball joints pop often from wheeling my lifted truck.

·
Registered
163 Posts
with my old 02 XE I went through 4 Alternators. until i finally took a black garbage can and cut out a section and made my own mud and splash guard in the wheel well.. Nissans design will throw mud and road debris and salt right onto the Alt.

Parts i always keep on hand was upper and lower ball joints, and those dumb steering stops they had on the first gen frontiers lol i went through those about every 6 months

First gens steering setup is very weak as well.. the center link is a very weak part as it will twist and bend under stress.

other than scratches all over the truck the worst damage i got while off-roading was in my old first gen. My passenger side tires got stuck in the wrong rut and forced me into a tree.. taking out my mirror and denting the hell out of my pass door.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,736 Posts
I guess that is why they make uniball control arms. THough you see too many for the lower.
The PRG uniballs popped even more often from the conditions up here.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
The PRG uniballs popped even more often from the conditions up here.
Do they pop or just get wobbly. My TC arm's balls are doing ok still. They get a bunch of grim and road salt, but have only seen 2 winters. They are 1" vs PRGs 7/8" (?), if that makes them any stronger/last longer. I might have to go sealed OE style SPC arms eventually though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts