Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Feel free to add your experiences.

1. Keep it in 2WD so when you get stuck 4WD will get you out.

I almost never get stuck in 4WD. Practicing not getting stuck is a good thing.

2. Put your winch on the back because if you get stuck you want to get out of there and back to where you came from.

Scouting around the wilderness means moving onwards-aka front winch mount.

Having the first thought of "Retreat!" does require a rear winch mount. Might as well save your money and buy a 2WD.

3. There are no cops in the wilderness so I can go as fast as I can.

If you can't see if the road ahead is clear then you are driving too fast to stop if it's not.

4. There's no one out here so I'll just set up camp in the middle of the road.

Not everybody stops like you while there is still passable road up ahead.

5. This dirt road is safe enough for my 2WD vehicle.

Only 4WD gets you out if it rains, provided you don't wait until high water makes your escape impossible.

6. No worries, I can just run over that small tree if I drift off the path a little.

Even a small tree will twist your stock or even pre-runner bumper like a pretzel.

7. No need to gas up before leaving the tarmac.

Off-roading, especially 4WD LOW, eats gas like nothing else.

8. People are all friendly in the wilderness.

Most are but not all. Some see every stranger as being from the government.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Good stuff. I agree with everything except I have seen some pretty gnarly stuff done in 2wds. However, you're correct, it is better to have 4wd, but you don't have to have it to hit a dirt road and pre-run or something.

I'll add to this, never wheel without a buddy. Hopefully everyone knows this. I started learning this at a young age, being an eagle scout, we learned you always have to have a buddy in case anything goes wrong. I've been in many outdoor situations too and during emergencies I was really thankful to have a friend. Would have been S.O.L. by myself.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes 2WD can do a lot but when it rains the path in can change dramatically when coming back. Me, I usually go alone off-roading and have never got myself into something I couldn't get out of. Caution is my watchword when out challenging Nature plus I come well equipped. Now that I have a family along I bought a winch(pull-pal coming), a CB, and I bring along Dad's old amature radio handset to call the International Space Station if need be. My way is not for everyone though. Just yesterday my friend was saying that you shouldn't go off-roading up in the mountains south of the Big Sur(where I just got back from) because of the "Mountain Clan". I think crime in "civilization" is 10,000X worse but I do bring my Sig-Sauer 357 Sig in case of rampaging bears, lions, or as a last ditch signal/foraging device.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Q-not sure on the misconception of it maybe - I can romp anywhere as long as im off road and leaving/burning my trash is awesome sauce...??

A-We should "Tread lightly"
Try not to rambo up the desert, keep on the pre made path and pack out whatever you pack in.

·
Registered
513 Posts
2. Put your winch on the back because if you get stuck you want to get out of there and back to where you came from.
Does anyone have a "front and back" winch setup? I.e. the winch is mounted on something and can be moved from the front trailer hitch to the rear trailer hitch. I'm mainly curious on the wiring aspect.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Does anyone have a "front and back" winch setup? I.e. the winch is mounted on something and can be moved from the front trailer hitch to the rear trailer hitch. I'm mainly curious on the wiring aspect.
That is my goal. 2" Receiver plate winch mount with quick disconnects front and rear. I am currently fabbing up a front 2" receiver hitch mount for the set up.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
not really a misconception just a good safety item, have a good first aid kit that you check on a regular basis and keep it stocked .

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
5. This dirt road is safe enough for my 2WD vehicle.

Only 4WD gets you out if it rains, provided you don't wait until high water makes your escape impossible.

I think it is a common misconception that 2wd trucks are handicapped.

no need for a pissing match fellas :)

Me, I usually go alone off-roading and have never got myself into something I couldn't get out of.
I think thats rule number 1 on the things not to do list... Or maybe thats the 2wd do not do list :laugh:

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have a cousin that has never owned a 4x4. His motto is "with speed, I can get anywhere." While he can't get to a couple places we go, you would be surprised where he has taken his 2wd. But I agree, 4x4 is the way to go, my cousin is crazy.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
looks like a common sense list thrown together with some stuff you thought up while being bored sitting at your computer.

even the most capable rigs don't go alone on basic trails. its true, call the space station and ask.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
It's always good to have another vehicle when wheeling. But then again people drive across continents by themselves. I say if you have the balls, the experience and preparedness then more power to ya.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
That is my goal. 2" Receiver plate winch mount with quick disconnects front and rear. I am currently fabbing up a front 2" receiver hitch mount for the set up.
thats the set up I have. KMA front bumper with the hitch reciever up front, hitch out back. ran the Warn quick connect cable to front and back. then have a Warnd xd9000i in a craddle mount. its come in handy a couple of times when plowing through/on snow and slide sideways almost off the hill and ended up winching my self sideways a foot or two at a time from front and then back. you can also get quick connect jumpers cables that connect into the hardwired quick connect and run the winch on someone elses rig, say 20' away. its a good set up, just sticks out a bit (usualy just carry it in the bed if I am out wheelin) and henders approuch/departure angles. but its tough and will drag through most obstacles! enough thread jacking. moving on...

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looks like a common sense list thrown together with some stuff you thought up while being bored sitting at your computer.

even the most capable rigs don't go alone on basic trails. its true, call the space station and ask.
Boredom = internet

Next time I go off-roading I'll see if you are available and don't worry, I'm not from AZ. To me you look like a cool hombre. :hi:

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i'm down. what kind or rig do you have?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This time I have a mostly stock Frontier. Actually I need to at least wait for the skidplates to arrive before doing any good trails.....things are changing.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
2wd?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No this makes my 4th 4WD truck/Jeep. Wilderness exploring is my thing but I would like to give the dunes another shot as I've almost forgotten the dive I took off one once. :crikey:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts