Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's definitely cool but at the price point im not crazy about it.

-No manual transmission
-31" tires are tiny
-"Sliders" bolted to the rockers
-Lack of skid plates
-Low hanging spare tire

·
Registered
374 Posts
to me it is a tricked out Fronty. Honestly, I could really trick out my base fronty for 40k+ lump of cash. So... food for thought. >:D

Plus I have a big hate against the modern big 3. On the other hand, I have a deep love for the vintage and old big 3, especially dodge and ford.

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
you can get a first gen raptor way cheaper than any of them loaded brand new.
ask me how i know...

also i really like that they are innovating, yall are missing the big picture here. i also like the new shock design as well.
and not to sound like the frontier sucks or anything but the zr2 handles itself much better offroad than the current model frontier. a lot better.... to compare stock to stock is kinda funny.

·
Registered
845 Posts
you can get a first gen raptor way cheaper than any of them loaded brand new.
ask me how i know...

also i really like that they are innovating, yall are missing the big picture here. i also like the new shock design as well.
and not to sound like the frontier sucks or anything but the zr2 handles itself much better offroad than the current model frontier. a lot better.... to compare stock to stock is kinda funny.
I'd hope it handles better than a 12 year old design that costs $15-$20k less.

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
well obviously. i was more playing devils advocate because it looks like you guys are looking at it while owning a frontier and not looking at it objectively.

its a solid truck that for sure beats out a 12 year old design, with a lot more creature comforts. while i know some people dont need them, once you have them you see the light.
i think it costs waaaaaaay to much, thats why my first post said just get a raptor lol.
but you are commenting on the extreme price range highest package to highest package, take a look at the zr2 without a diesel since the golden egg frontier doesnt have one. the price will be a lot closer to range...
saying one is more expensive than the other but not listing why is nonsensical. obviously a better optioned vehicle is going to cost more brand new.

but to immediately just say its worse than a frontier and its just some negatives is just counter productive. chevy doing this will hopefully fuel more fire for the next frontier to be neat.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Love mine over the 11 year old Frontier I had. That thing was dated! Time for new tech and capabilities. Suspension lift, front and rear electronic lockers, sliders, full skid plates, spray in bed liner, remote start, aggressive tires, better bumpers for approach and departure while wheeling, a lot of info tech in the dash, 4g LTE with wifi all under warranty. Couldn't wait any longer for Nissan to figure whats what.

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Love mine over the 11 year old Frontier I had. That thing was dated! Time for new tech and capabilities. Suspension lift, front and rear electronic lockers, sliders, full skid plates, spray in bed liner, remote start, aggressive tires, better bumpers for approach and departure while wheeling, a lot of info tech in the dash, 4g LTE with wifi all under warranty. Couldn't wait any longer for Nissan to figure whats what.
What's the bed look like? Do they have any sort of tie down system like Nissan? Can you measure between the wheel wells and tell me if it's at least 48"? I'd like to be able to get a full sheet of plywood/drywall in there...

Hoenstly, I can't believe the other manufacturers haven't stolen the utlitrac system yet.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, so I googled a bit and it looks like 44 inches between wheel wells... So you still can't fit a full sheet of plywood in there.

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
depends on how you measure i guess.
i think its a decent truck for what it is. i wouldnt say it would be an awesome truck to build an offroad rig. to haul 48" width of plywood? sounds like more of a truck than any other midsize since they dont fit it.

lol so yea it sounds like a truck.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I would not really consider the Ridgeline a truck.
A Ridgeline won the Baja 1000 in "stock mini" class. Seems like it's a truck to me.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
This. No idea why it isn't standard on ALL trucks.
I would not want that in any of my trucks, past or present.
10k or 15k over a Frontier seems like a lot.
What would it cost to make a Frontier as capable? To get 8.6" of travel would take a minimum Titan swap, axles,shocks, springs etc.
I am sure a lot of people, the serious off road people have more than that in their vehicles.
I know I have.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Other thing is you can pick up a used Pro-4x for cheap. My truck had 30,000mi and a year of warranty remaining for just under $20k. I'd much rather build a truck like mine to my liking.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
There are a couple hooks but no track system. I am going to add one though. Might be hard to see as I put on a retractable cover. Here is a track company I am probably going to use for the rear of my truck. --> L-Track Tie Down - Airline Track Cargo Tie Down Rails & L-Track Straps

But these are nice too --> T-Track and T-Track Accessories
I went with Mac's Custom TieDowns... can't say enough good things about them... I'd advise against the T channel, just go with the L channel. The ability to lock a ring down anywhere and just as easy pull it off is enormous... When mounting them (any brand) heavy steel fender washers are better than nothing, but a backer plate that spans 2 or 3 holes at either end (or anywhere you can fit it) is much better. Only thing I dislike about my Ltrack is the bed is not heavy-gauge steel so if you pull from the side the bed flexes a little bit (side load torque)
But if you bolt it down every hole (every 6 inches) with a fender washer and a few backing plates it will never come out.

I would not want that in any of my trucks, past or present.
10k or 15k over a Frontier seems like a lot.
What would it cost to make a Frontier as capable? To get 8.6" of travel would take a minimum Titan swap, axles,shocks, springs etc.
I am sure a lot of people, the serious off road people have more than that in their vehicles.
I know I have.
I thought the guy you quoted was referring to utilitrac. aside from it being a bit big/oversized, I also question why everyone doesn't offer a cargo tie-down system. As for the suspension, I think GM did it right. It's an offroader out of the box, well kitted out. My only complaint is dimensions... I still think both full-size and compact/mid-size are too big. a full-size from 20-25 yrs ago i sslightly larger than a current midsize... :frown:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I meant the tie down system. Never needed it or wanted it in any of my trucks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts