Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without hearing a whole lot of Colorado bashing, could anyone post up some info comparing the 2 trucks.
i am going for the 4x2 crew cab either way.

Colorado Pros (IMO)
-exterior looks
-gas mileage
-cheaper

Frontier Pros
-better interior
-6 speed manual option
-faster (i think)...im looking to reach mid 14's in whichever truck i get

thanks for your help

·
Registered
538 Posts
your joking right

come on, drive both trucks first.
look at both companies track records.
Isnt the colorado an Izuzu?

sorry I have had baaaaaad experiences with Chevy's
I have never been Lucky enough to have a good Chevy.

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
Colorado cons---
Missing a cylinder!! (only 225 horse power with optional 5 cylinder)
Gas milage to horse power ratio is not as good as Frontier!
Five Speed Manual and Four speed Auto (compared to 6speed manual and 5speed auto)
3yr/36000 powertrain compared to 6yr/60000 with frontier
Smaller inside and out
Towing and payload much less than Frontier

Frontier Cons---
Doesn't come with more than 265 horsepower(unless you mod it! :twisted:)
Priced about $2k more with similar options as Colorado
Heavier

I'm sure I missed a few things but these truck really shouldn't be in the same class. Also, If you looking to get into the 14's with the truck it would be much easier with a six cylinder than a 5 cylinder. I've always liked Chevy's product but the Colorado in my opinion isn't even comparable to the Frontier. A truck more comparable to the Colorado is the Ranger :oops: .

·
Registered
81 Posts
i agree

i agree these trucks shouldn't even be in the same class, a five cylnder? come on now who's dumb idea was that, but really just take both for a drive even the four cylnder nissan feels like it has more power. and when it come to looks i have to disagree that the chevy looks better i think the frontier is a more agressive body and when i comes to interior i test drove a chevy and the interior wasnt put together well there were gaps in the moldings and just wasnt presented well while the nissan even with all its plastic is at least put together well

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was at my brother's a couple of weeks ago. He subscribes to Consumer Reports magazine. He calls it, Condemner Reports. The article was on new models that sucked. The Colorado was number 2 on the list.

I know some people hate Consumer Reports, but how bad would a truck need to be to get on the list.

·
Registered
145 Posts
would have to agree the colorado looks pretty nappy...
frontier looks hella more sexy if ya ask...
and dats not jus cuz i drive one tho im sure it plays a role
P's

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why don't you go on coloradofans.com and see all the problems Colorado/Canyon owners are having.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I test drove all the trucks to make sure I didn't miss anything. I also took out an F150 to determine that, yes, I do not want a full size.

The Colorado is in a different class. Its competition is really just the Ford Ranger and it does feel better than the Ranger/B-series. Against the Tacoma, Frontier and Dakota: it doesn't come close.

The only place the Colorado has anything on those three is the second post to hold the tailgate half-up to support a flat piece of drywall or plywood which was a neat idea. Otherwise you're only competing on the price difference. The 5cylinder is a good idea but it really falls short. I think the 4cylinder was a better value in the Colorado/Canyon.

If you're still comparing the Colorado against those three: I'll be it's because of the size difference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Way back when I was shopping for a new vehicle, I test drove the Colorado and its twin the Canyon. It wasn't an experience that I'd like to repeat. The ride was stiff and the suspension unforgiving. The interior reminded me of what happens when an engineering get too happy with plastic. But what should you expect for the highly discounted price?

Plus that 5 banger of an engine couldn't keep pace with an significant passenger or payload.

I'm not beating the Colorado up. IMO it just wasn't worth the money.

The Frontier and the taco, on the other hand, require significant financial investment. But the vehicles return on that investment. The Frontier is heads and shoulders above the competition. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
dropkick said:
im looking to reach mid 14's in whichever truck i get
This statement alone should limit your decision to just one of your two choices, and it should be pretty obvious which one I mean! Granted, both trucks will reguire aftermarket mods to achieve this, but you could probably buy two Frontier's with the amount of money you'd spend on aftermarket mods to get the Colorado to this point! :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I posted the other day, but it is gone..

Not to bust on Chevy at all, because I have owned two Silverado's and loved them. But as far as trucks go, the Colorado falls short to me. We have them for work vehicles (Crew and King Cabs) and every body loved them at first over the old models. But now everyone complains of creeks and squeeks coming from the truck. They hate the seats and the ride is very stern...
Plus, our maintenance shop is upset because of maintenance costs have gone up since we got them. Even over the cost of maintaining Fords Rangers and F-150 trucks with 80,000 miles on them...

To each their own. If cost was a major factor, I would get the Colorado..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Colorado looks, won't argue. Right color and it looks sharp.
Gas mileage, the stickers lie. And if you drive a lot, keep reading
Cheaper, for now. Check out long term reliability for the manufacturer, not just the vehicle

Frontier interior, this is where you spend your time, better enjoy it. It is well worth a few mpg to be comfortable. Trust me, one year and 32k, I'm glad I got the Frontier.
6 speed manual, I love it, except in traffic. Next time, it will be an auto. Maybe I am getting old, but the shifting in traffic really sucks. Now on the open roads, HELL YEAH.
Faster, um yeah, I think so too. That 6 will surprise you. With the 6/6, I couldn't help barking the tires in first constantly, in second under hard acceleration, and sliding sideways in the
rain until I beacame accustomed to the power. If you pull a trailer at all, compare torque and capacity. If you haul stuff in the bed, you are screwed in a crew either way, unless you get the Taco (hint hint Nissan). My '95 S-10 had 188k on it, as well as its 3rd clutch, tranny, starter and head. To look at the head of the 4, it resembled styrofoam. The leaks were through the metal, not at a crack. There is a reason that Isuzu isn't compared to Nissan, Toy and Honda. Just my thoughts. Yes, I am a bit passionate about my choice.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I also test drove all the sm/mid size trucks available, here's my 2 cents. GM replaced a very old truck (s10/sonoma) with a new one thats still 10 years behind the Frontier and Tacoma. The trucks don't compare. Try to test drive them back to back and you'll see what everyone is talking about. There is a reason we love our Frontiers, they're great trucks.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I didn't test drive the Colorado, but my Nissan payment each month is the only bill that I don't mind paying.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Colorado/Canyon is a perfect example of why GM is in the pickle it's in.
To make things worse they repeat the same mistake in the H3.
When you take a perfectly world class engine like the I6(voted one of 10best engines)and neuter it by removing one of it's cylinders you know something is grossly wrong with the whole concept of design and engineering at GM.
Yea I know the I6 would not fit but does GM even know that they have V6 engines?
:roll:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Unless you get if for half the price, stay away. The specs have been written already for compaison here and for me they are not impressive for the GM products.

I really don't like automatics and the 4-speed auto on the GMs is stone age. Now, if their auto were a 6-speed auto then they'd have something but they won't do it.

The Chevy's I've had always needed something in and out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Remember Chevy had a Colorado commercial out about a year ago with five guys riding in a crew cab singing Shania Twain's song "Man! I Feel Like A Woman!". You might want to take that into consideration too when trying to decide between the Colorado and Frontier.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
This is all you need:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=104774

The Frontier later won in a gloves off comparison between it and the Taco:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=107904

I don't know about you, but I'm done (for now) with throwing my money away on domestic product. My Nissan is my first import brand out of owning 6 vehics total and it is my best yet- it's a good feeling when your hard earned money buys quality. I thought I'd stay domestic forever but I got tired of dealing with problems I shouldn't have to.

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
Alpine_Mike said:
I don't know about you, but I'm done (for now) with throwing my money away on domestic product. My Nissan is my first import brand out of owning 6 vehics total and it is my best yet- it's a good feeling when your hard earned money buys quality. I thought I'd stay domestic forever but I got tired of dealing with problems I shouldn't have to.
I would tend to agree with you on this! Import cars are just built with more quality and have been for quite some time!! My dad would hate me for saying this but he knows its true and it makes me laugh!! :lol:

·
Registered
226 Posts
bla bla bla, sorry i had to skip reading the whole post and give my input... I had an S-10 before this... I love Chevy and i test drove the colorado a few times, i really wanted one, then i decided to try the frontier. Compared to the frontier the colorado is a pile of junk. the frontier has more room, more power, much much much better quality. The colorado is loud and unrefined inside. The 4.0VQ is a much better, more proven engine, same goes for the 2.5 if you compare the 4bangers.
All around the Frontier is a much better truck. and the frontier's SUV brother even won motor trend SUV of the year. the fact that the Ridgeline was midsize truck of the year was a sham, the frontier placed 2nd (rightfully 1st), and the colorado didnt even hold a candle to the rest.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts