Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on color matched bumpers? I want to know if anyone has done it, or should I try and buy them as OEM, or what. I think I could find a paint and body guy here in town that could match up the color. I might be able to remove the parts myself, saving me some labor costs.

I put a crease in my rear bumper when I jack knifed a trailer into it. It's not too bad, but it's really starting to bug me. I will either need to replace it outright, or see if a paint and body shop can scuff the bumper, fill in the crease and paint it to match my truck. I'm still going back and forth on what to do. I don't want a different bumper on the back, so that option is out the window. Just looking for some ideas.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
put a sticker on it.

IIRC, TerribleOne painted his chrome rear bumper and it turned out real good. however i think his front bumper was painted as well to match....

...so if you plan on painting the rear bumper might as well paint the front

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
You can paint them. The hard part is getting the paint to stick to the chrome. The best way is to remove the chrome thru chemical baths or blash chambers. Then prime them and paint.

In the end it is up to you and what you want to do.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on doing the front and rear. I would depend on the paint shop to get it right. I would be hoping they would know what to do as far as removing the chrome or whatever needs to be done.

I might just buy a new chrome bumper and be done with it. I've looked for a used one here but couldn't get a deal done.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
yeah shop around. on craigslist too. a used replacement bumper would be waay cheaper than paint.

·
Registered
885 Posts
We've been sandblasting chrome bumpers; sanding them with 80g; spraying epoxy primer; then painting them for years and they hold up well. You could even spray a gravelguard for extra protection if you don't mind a textured look.

I plan on doing my chrome bumpers in the future. I was planning on getting an LE bumper then color matching it... but the front valience would also have to be replaced, and I think a couple brackets are different. It becomes pretty expensive. Sandblasting and painting is easy + free for me.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I've been considering to do my bumpers and the chrome on the grill too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts