Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 frontier prox and I wanted a cold air intake but they are for that model the 2015 is near half the price why is that

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Honestly, the factory air box is actually pretty good and it already is a "cold air intake" by definition. I made a number of bolt on mods to my R51 (DT headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow muffler, XTP plenum spacer aFe Momentum GT CAI (dry filter), Stillen aluminum crank pulley and a Superchips tuner), and the only ones that really felt like they made any difference in performance were the plenum spacer and the tuner.
As far as the price difference your seeing, I would think they'd be the same from 2005+. Which CAI are you looking at?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an aftermarket with heat shield no brand name in mind ,I've purchased. Cold air intakes for my Dakota's I've had made a distinct difference in feel and sound and they didn't close but around 50 bucks,

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Well, Dodges need all the help they can get! ;) Seriously, though, if you're going to get one, I would at least get a name brand that has been designed for the application. Again, you won't notice anything in performance (it might be a little noisier), but if that's what floats your boat, go with it! One thing I should mention is if you install the box and it sits too high, you may have to bend down the part of the ABS pump bracket that the bottom of the air box bolts to. The aFe I got is a nice system, but it's a bit expensive (I think paid around $400 and that was on sale plus rebates). Volant is probably the most popular system and one of the least expensive, but it has its pros and cons. The fitment with the horns in front of it is really tight, so Volant cut a big hole in the front, lower quarter of the box to fit around them. So, this lets mud and dirt get into the box as they didn't seal it off at the cutout. The earlier style box used in 2005-2007 didn't have the cutout and originally had a relocation bracket for the horns. Later, they didn't include the bracket, saying it didn't need it, but it really did. Another option made by Injen is a little more money and a great looking system and fits without any issues.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thxs for the information , fyi everybody is different in there likeing of vehicles my first choice was the Dodge but it was almost 8 grand higher and I couldn't afford it although I like the frontier a lot I'm just a little concerned about any problems with only 50000 miles

·
Registered
791 Posts
Although the factory air box is a decent design the only real flaw I see is that 1/3 of the filter collects a lot of the debris, bugs, leaf bits, pollen etc etc. A lot of people just flip the air filter element around. I have been using an AEM non oiled air filter. #28-20286 in the stock box and now just ordered the AiRaid quickFit CAI. I have experience in this type as well as the MXP system for the Titan. In the Titan I had a Keystone Good Hood and the duct work was directly over the air box. In any regard since I have a new replacement filter here in stock for the quick fit, I`ll put it to use in air filter rotation (cleaning /drying) during servicing when I need to. I also use a Pre filter (sock) over the dry filter element to keep it cleaner longer. this pic is from the Titan... so for around 250+- it isn`t to bad...

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts