Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
I bought my volant for the sound, ability to clean and reuse the filter.

Definitely don’t spend $400+ on an intake no matter how nice they look.

I think I paid $100 for mine used.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think in most cases, not really. You will get some more engine sound, but thats about it. The factory airbox probably isn't too restrictive and does a good job of keeping the hot air out. From what I've heard for the Frontier I would be looking at the intake manifold spacer first.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had the AFE one in mine. I loved the sound but there was no noticeable performance increase. MPG became a little worse because I loved the sound so I'd always get on it more than I really needed to lol... I enjoyed having it but I doubt that I'll go that route next time. Definitely a IMS like Foggy suggested though.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Your OEM air box is already a Cold Air Intake. But it's stock, and stock intakes are designed mainly to be quiet.

Realistically though - aftermarket intakes alone only add marginal power gains (very marginal), more intake "whoosh" noise, and usually looks prettier under the hood... where no one can see it... unless you open your hood or show them pictures. Is it worth it? That's up to you and what "it" is. Although, with good aftermarket intakes they usually include a free flowing, reusable filter, but you can get a K&N for the OEM air box that gives you the same benefits.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Raine is right. The OEM is a cold air. Has the cut out that gets air from the fender and air box is the same size as most aftermarket intakes.

Main difference is the pipe. The volant is a little larger with the “resonator” delete.

For me, I’ll install Aftermarket intakes for all my cars/trucks for the reason I mentioned above...at a used/good price though :)

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
Our Frontier OEM CAI is essentially what is used on a 5.6 liter Nissan Titan. Under our big brother's hood it is therefore able & willing to supply 40% more air to a hungry V8. 5.6:4.0

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone really. I will pass on it and I agree with you all that it is not worth the money. Cheers!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Throw one of these in the stock box and save your moneys.

https://www.aemintakes.com/dryflow_air_filters.htm
I'm tempted to swear I'm so excited about this product! If it's fully legit, no hype, this is fricken awesome! >:D:angel:

What's the one thing tech's hate about K&N? The oil and very real potential of damage to MAF's and sometimes much more with over oiling. All of my new in the box K&N's have been over oiled. And yeah, I've bought new MAF(s) plural over it.

Since then, they get stripped and re-oiled by me without issue since new.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dirty K&N versus paper, then cleaned my K&N

Yeah it was with the Torque Pro app.

The MAF showed no real difference regardless of the conditions in my title.

MPG numbers are harder to prove between fill ups, but setting my gas pedal to the same g/s of air uphill, the K&N appeared on instant mpg to do much better. So even if it doesn't make power, it may be better on efficiency.

Check out post 39 of my thread:
Exhaust headers, good upgrade?
I left the titles point for a bit looking at air filters and air flow as intakes and exhaust can have a symbiotic relationship.

Some say yes, others say no. Has anyone actually used this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/aFe-Power-...rd_wg=RlEt7&psc=1&refRID=EWP6JJBC8514CQTNK2YQ

Being I am in California, my choices are very limited :(
According to this real world testing by Engineering Explained, you can actually suffer losses of power for a daily driver's realistic RPM range, while at the same time, it would help on track day (sorry, on an Acura Integra, it's what I have).

Do Cold Air Intakes Actually work?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your OEM air box is already a Cold Air Intake. But it's stock, and stock intakes are designed mainly to be quiet.

Realistically though - aftermarket intakes alone only add marginal power gains (very marginal), more intake "whoosh" noise, and usually looks prettier under the hood... where no one can see it... unless you open your hood or show them pictures. Is it worth it? That's up to you and what "it" is. Although, with good aftermarket intakes they usually include a free flowing, reusable filter, but you can get a K&N for the OEM air box that gives you the same benefits.
You're on point as always.

I liked the other person's suggestion for a throttle body spacer. Very proven on these trucks, except definitely not Generation 1 Frontiers (messed up fuel trims, poor idle, loss in MPG and power). Their intake was already big enough, lol. Were the throttle body spacers good for Gen 2 and 3? It's for sure good for one of them.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
interesting, i read on this forum that the TB spacer did nothing for gen2... would be nice to see some actual dyno proof yes or no. i just got the aem dryflow filter, plan on installing it next month with an oil change. as bad as i want more power for this heavy truck, $300 for 10hp is not a great deal. if i can pick up half of that with a better flowing filter for $40 i'm happy. i'll just be glad to rip out that cheap factory FRAM filter.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
They are refering to the manifold spacer, not the throttle body spacer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was talking about throttle body spacers not manifold spacers

I was referring to the throttle body spacer as it had proven power. I just knew that this concept DIDN'T work on Gen 1. It was a group by here:

Extreme Truck Performance Throttle Body Spacer

In this link he says it was fine back to 2006 so I'd have to say it was fine back to 2005.

The Gen 1 Frontiers didn't like manifold spacers either.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Just buy a K&N drop in air filter if you want something like a CAI

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
I was referring to the throttle body spacer as it had proven power. I just knew that this concept DIDN'T work on Gen 1. It was a group by here:

Extreme Truck Performance Throttle Body Spacer

In this link he says it was fine back to 2006 so I'd have to say it was fine back to 2005.

The Gen 1 Frontiers didn't like manifold spacers either.
your link is to the intake manifold spacer GB, not a throttle body spacer. two different things.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts