Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
829 Posts
It seals fine enough to function, sure but it could use improvement. I have an Xterra and Frontier and they both accumulate a lot more dust and debris in the box than any other car I’ve dealt with.
It’s an air box. Dust & debris are gonna come in with the air. They will accumulate in the box under/before the filter. That’s kinda the whole point.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It’s an air box. Dust & debris are gonna come in with the air. They will accumulate in the box under/before the filter. That’s kinda the whole point.
And my point is that there is accumulation after the filter.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
More than quite a few folks have complained about "a lot - to - too much" noise from either an aftermarket CAI or cat-back exhaust...well, these mods lie the the abyss of being potentially regrettable. So, spend the money and see if you like it. Then either like it, or convince yourself you like it...or regret it and sell it off at a loss.
Im also one of those people who bought an CAI and quickly took it off, im thankful i was able to sell it for what i paid. Im also one of those people who regret putting on a catback exhaust.

·
Registered
989 Posts
So much drama over an intake. Are you guys alright?

It’s because it doesn’t come with a snorkel isn’t it.

OP, it’s a solid design, the Z1 and AFE are the better designed intakes on the market. Anything with an open filter in the bay is hot garbage.

·
Registered
106 Posts
After the filter! Why isn't your filter filtering!!!
The previously mentioned perimeter seal that could use improvement. Looks like you all are just here to argue and cause drama so I’ll leave you to it. OP buy whatever you want, it doesn’t really matter

·
Registered
203 Posts
Im also one of those people who bought an CAI and quickly took it off, im thankful i was able to sell it for what i paid. Im also one of those people who regret putting on a catback exhaust.
I can totally respect this, not for everybody.

I did not like my AFE intake by itself, sounded kind of weird, but doing intake and exhaust for me was well worth it.

I love how it performs and sounds. The money I spent makes it much more enjoyable for me.

My wife did not want it loud so we did the KN airfilter with AFE TBS spacer and just a Magnaflow muffler and she is happy how hers runs and it is still quite.

How loud is the Z1 intake anyways?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Anyone that buys something that flows more and complains about noise levels deserves it?

Don’t be silly with your expectations guys.
I bought x for a reason and my boss didn’t like it because y. You’re at fault not the manufacturer cause she didn’t like it.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier CC 4x4
833 Posts
I've had the Z1 on my 3.8 for a couple days. The induction sound isn't a lot louder. Just a bit louder. Intake air temps are 4 degrees warmer than ambient, exactly like the stock intake. The truck stays in upper gears longer and doesn't downshift as much under light throttle. More torque? I don't know, but it feels stronger. I need a couple weeks to see any fuel economy change.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
It seals fine enough to function, sure but it could use improvement. I have an Xterra and Frontier and they both accumulate a lot more dust and debris in the box than any other car I’ve dealt with. The sides of the box where the clamp together is also not very precise, there is a bit of play or doesn’t align perfectly. A closed air box would improve that. It appears you misunderstood, I did not say I wanted a CAI.
And my point is that there is accumulation after the filter.
Honestly, it sounds like something is wrong here. We all have the same vehicle, but you are experiencing accumulation of dirt after the OEM filter location, and I am not at all in the least. I run WIX filters. Maybe give that a try. Something is definitely wrong here. For further assistance create a thread dedicated to it since this one is about the Z1 CAI you are uninterested in purchasing. Reading your problem earlier it was so random it sounded like you had the Z1 intake and had dirt after the filter media, which would be horrible, and it is, but...to be clear, you have a problem with your oem intake and not the Z1 to everyone reading in. Hope it gets resolved. It's definitely not normal.

The sides of the box where the clamp together is also not very precise, there is a bit of play or doesn’t align perfectly.
There is zero play with my oem intake box latches, for the record. It's pretty tight, definitely air tight as it should be.

Perhaps you can lift one off one of the oem boxes off the gentlemen, or ladies, who have made the switch to the Z1 CAI

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've had the Z1 on my 3.8 for a couple days. The induction sound isn't a lot louder. Just a bit louder. Intake air temps are 4 degrees warmer than ambient, exactly like the stock intake. The truck stays in upper gears longer and doesn't downshift as much under light throttle. More torque? I don't know, but it feels stronger. I need a couple weeks to see any fuel economy change.
Thank you for posting this.

I have found the same with AFE where the truck stays in a really high gear. When cruising from around 45-55 MPH 1200 RPM is pretty common.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV V6 4x4
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
will be interested to see how you like it over the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
8,305 Posts
Being able to properly latch all the clips on the stock air filter housing is imperative. I've had to wrestle w/ mine a time or two to get it just right.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier Pro4x Tac Green
320 Posts
The best CAI for the Frontier is the OEM CAI which cost $0. But there is something about the CAI as the first and easy mod that draws a lot of attention. At the end of the day, owners will listen to reports of huge hp or mgg or torque gains and buy the sexy CAi. If they would listen to the logic, they would keep their money in their pocket.
Actually it costs the price of the truck because you can't get one for free... :p

·
Registered
212 Posts
Recently got the Z1 intake and do like it. Mainly got it for more sound and seems to help a little bit in power delivery compared to a modded stock airbox was previously running. Seems to climb and decent in altitude a little bit smoother (going to town for supplies means over 2k' change in altitude & ~1/3 of a tank used) and rev a little better at higher RPMs. Running it with an XTP IMS and NISMO catback exhaust. Nothing major or earth shattering in it's performance increase, but does feel a bit stronger than the stock airbox with a stock type filter or even higher flowing/less protecting K&N filter. I also like that it cleans up the engine bay a bit more too, giving more room to work with on front area of engine than that stock intake tube section.

I will say fitment could be a little better on it, specifically the plastic airbox housing to firewall rubber connection point which needs some tie-wrap support to keep from coming loose... tie-wrapping does fix it securely though, hasn't come apart since tie-wrapping. Filter seems to be doing it's job to me in the middle of northern Arizona/Southern Utah desert region.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Noticed this on their site. I'm sure a few of you have experience with these intake systems. So, the question is... is it worth the money? Did you actually notice in change in power, torque, mileage, etc.? I mean, it looks cool, but at that price it really needs to do more than look cool.

View attachment 353301

Z1 Cold Air Intake
Have you ever thought about the numbers they quote, and I’m talking all the manufacturers? All their performance numbers are at wide open throttle, now ask yourself, how often do I drive wide open throttle? Probably less than .01% of the time, the other 99.9% of the time you’re probably driving in traffic or where speed limits hold you less than 20% throttle. If all these after market parts improved everyday driving manufacturers would install them on the assembly line as they’re all trying to improve their performance for bragging rights.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Have you ever thought about the numbers they quote, and I’m talking all the manufacturers? All their performance numbers are at wide open throttle, now ask yourself, how often do I drive wide open throttle? Probably less than .01% of the time, the other 99.9% of the time you’re probably driving in traffic or where speed limits hold you less than 20% throttle. If all these after market parts improved everyday driving manufacturers would install them on the assembly line as they’re all trying to improve their performance for bragging rights.
The manufacturers of CAIs do not want their customers to think logically. You are correct that any performance improvement has to be at WOT. At any partial throttle, the plenum is under vacuum which negates any improvement of the CAI. Our truck is naturally aspirated. To gain performance over the entire throttle band, you need to install a supercharger. But this is much more complicated and not needed if the CAI sells.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Recently got the Z1 intake and do like it. Mainly got it for more sound and seems to help a little bit in power delivery compared to a modded stock airbox was previously running. Seems to climb and decent in altitude a little bit smoother (going to town for supplies means over 2k' change in altitude & ~1/3 of a tank used) and rev a little better at higher RPMs. Running it with an XTP IMS and NISMO catback exhaust. Nothing major or earth shattering in it's performance increase, but does feel a bit stronger than the stock airbox with a stock type filter or even higher flowing/less protecting K&N filter. I also like that it cleans up the engine bay a bit more too, giving more room to work with on front area of engine than that stock intake tube section.

I will say fitment could be a little better on it, specifically the plastic airbox housing to firewall rubber connection point which needs some tie-wrap support to keep from coming loose... tie-wrapping does fix it securely though, hasn't come apart since tie-wrapping. Filter seems to be doing it's job to me in the middle of northern Arizona/Southern Utah desert region.
Would you mind sharing a picture of the tie-wrapping that you did?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts