Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV V6 4x4
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this on their site. I'm sure a few of you have experience with these intake systems. So, the question is... is it worth the money? Did you actually notice in change in power, torque, mileage, etc.? I mean, it looks cool, but at that price it really needs to do more than look cool.

Bicycle part Auto part Automotive exterior Tool Font

Z1 Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
In short. No.

Reactions: Frontier75

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The best CAI for the Frontier is the OEM CAI which cost $0. But there is something about the CAI as the first and easy mod that draws a lot of attention. At the end of the day, owners will listen to reports of huge hp or mgg or torque gains and buy the sexy CAi. If they would listen to the logic, they would keep their money in their pocket.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I do wish the OEM box sealed better but I can't imagine you'll notice any performance benefits other than sound. If I were to buy it, it would be for the sealed airbox, not so much the HP, MPG and so on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
They make more noise, which many novices will tell you gave them a dramatic power boost according to their “butt dyno”. Actual dyno testing for most of these shows virtually no gain. If you hear the term “butt dyno” take any claims with a huge grain of salt.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I do wish the OEM box sealed better but I can't imagine you'll notice any performance benefits other than sound. If I were to buy it, it would be for the sealed airbox, not so much the HP, MPG and so on.
What are you talking about? The OEM seals fine. Seems to me you want the aftermarket CAI. Go for it! spend the bucks!

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
832 Posts
What are you talking about? The OEM seals fine. Seems to me you want the aftermarket CAI. Go for it! spend the bucks!
I was a little curious about that one too.

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
510 Posts
I find it hard to believe it will give 10hp and 10 ft/lbs torque at the wheel.

"Additional testing was done on the new 3.8 power train found in 2020+ models and saw similar maximum gains of 10whp and 8tq. By looking at the graph below, you can see that this truck also benefited from a peak torque gain of 10 ft-lbs around 5700rpm. "

Not sure why they say maximum gains were 8 torque then say the peak torque gain was 10 ft-lbs. Is it 8 or 10?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I find it hard to believe it will give 10hp and 10 ft/lbs torque at the wheel.

"Additional testing was done on the new 3.8 power train found in 2020+ models and saw similar maximum gains of 10whp and 8tq. By looking at the graph below, you can see that this truck also benefited from a peak torque gain of 10 ft-lbs around 5700rpm. "

Not sure why they say maximum gains were 8 torque then say the peak torque gain was 10 ft-lbs. Is it 8 or 10?
Have you ever watch women buy cosmetics? The sell is the sizzle not the reality. The CAI game is predicated on the buyer believing whatever the vendor tells them. There is no testing, everything is dry labbed. BTW, the right units for torque is lb-ft.

The reference standard is the OEM CAI. Any vendor that says their CAI is better is shaky. The best they can do is make it sound agressive which appeals to those who think sound is power. But if sound is what you want, go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Have you ever watch women buy cosmetics? The sell is the sizzle not the reality. The CAI game is predicated on the buyer believing whatever the vendor tells them. There is no testing, everything is dry labbed. BTW, the right units for torque is lb-ft.

The reference standard is the OEM CAI. Any vendor that says their CAI is better is shaky. The best they can do is make it sound agressive which appeals to those who think sound is power. But if sound is what you want, go for it.
I hear you, but why would they dyno all those other Frontier intakes on youtube but never dyno their own?

Reactions: JVRaley

·
Registered
2018 Frontier Pro-4X 6MT
33 Posts
When I bought my Frontier I was surprised to see the panel filter on our trucks is quite large. The stock intake also has a half way decent cold air supply that can be easily improved and has good size piping to the throttle body. To each their own but for $349 I wouldn't expect much return other than sound.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I hear you, but why would they dyno all those other Frontier intakes on youtube but never dyno their own?
In the world of after market performance parts, I take everything with a grain of salt. I think all the tests are marketing props to lure the buyer in. Keep in mind, the buyer is halfway in the door as he already believes a CAI will help his truck.

·
Registered
974 Posts
So, lots of negative responses, and for a good reason. I’ll try and give a slightly more nuanced response.

Can a well designed cold air-intake improve performance? Yes, it can. You happen to have a well designed cold air intake on your vehicle from the factory. The factory one is focused on decent performance, quiet performance, and good particle filtering.

Is a well designed cold air intake just slapping a K&N cone filter on the end of tubing and calling it good? No. You have just created a hot air intake that probably allows more dust and debris into the engine most likely.

The main ways you could improve on the factory CAI would be making the tubing smoother and with less bends, enlarging the intake area on the drivers side of the front, and possibly a filter that either has a larger surface area, or a filter that just allows more air through (and also more possible debris).

The main immediate difference you can see with an aftermarket “CAI” is the engine noise. Since the top of the intake box isn’t sealed it allows for the roaring sound of air entering the box to be heard better. This is not really helping performance as its creating turbulent air and also allow hot air to enter the filter (hot air is less dense).

So, after all of that said, the Z1 cold air intake looks reasonably well built, and might possibly give you some largely unnoticeable HP gains, but the main thing you will note is the increased engine sound.

Go for it! Let us know how it works.

·
Premium Member
8,305 Posts
More than quite a few folks have complained about "a lot - to - too much" noise from either an aftermarket CAI or cat-back exhaust...well, these mods lie the the abyss of being potentially regrettable. So, spend the money and see if you like it. Then either like it, or convince yourself you like it...or regret it and sell it off at a loss.

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
In the world of after market performance parts, I take everything with a grain of salt. I think all the tests are marketing props to lure the buyer in. Keep in mind, the buyer is halfway in the door as he already believes a CAI will help his truck.
Yeah, I hear your, Intakes have been a little misunderstood by enthusiast customers for a few reasons. A. Easy to do B. Looks great when talking around an open engine bay C. it's more affordable than an exhaust and wheels/tires/most big brake kits and other upgrades. So it's accessible and easy, but it's not as important if you don't have supporting mods--but it's like makeup, it's a fantasy dress up thing more than it is a power mod

Many are absolutely proven to be more effective than oem even from stock and without a tune by a lot of third party testing, but it's an expensive piece of a more expensive puzzle, so people stop there in mods. But the market is HOT man, so there's usually a lot out there and half of them are marginal at best, aka, only for looks not performance.

The best ones I've had have the whole cone filter tightly sealed in the fenderwell, or a sealed box like the oem design, then ofc I've seen the methanol and dry ice type too. Besides that, you're right, it's like makeup - most are made for engine dressup and to look at at car shows, it's more romance then performance, for sure. But, who doesn't like a little romance in their relationship. It's the experience modding, the new sound and the look - it's personalized and different from your friend's - it's a reason to even open your hood rather than leave it down at a show somewhere. To me back in the day it was a door opener mod, and was the first step to getting me working on cars myself.

So, 8-10hp for $350, brings a lot of smiles and experiences with it for early stage modders. So, can be pretty worth it. I mean, who likes to go to car show, and have NOBODY care about their totally oem engine bay? "what've you done to it?"..."nothing man". I don't have one in this frontier, but it's a good icebreaker alteast.

Reactions: Grampy Matt

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
if you don't have supporting mods-
so true, a lot of mods were designed in the racing industries, especially in drag racing where a split second can mean a win or a loss so every little thing that can be done, is and are really of no use on a street legal vehicle. with the mods. I have done to my truck I'm pushing at least 500 hp.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
106 Posts
It seals fine enough to function, sure but it could use improvement. I have an Xterra and Frontier and they both accumulate a lot more dust and debris in the box than any other car I’ve dealt with. The sides of the box where the clamp together is also not very precise, there is a bit of play or doesn’t align perfectly. A closed air box would improve that. It appears you misunderstood, I did not say I wanted a CAI.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts