Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Read a lot of great threads here on lift options including the sticky. Fully aware of all the suspension options available. My question is what experience you guys have with coilovers or other setups like a full OME build with cold temps? With my work I will be bouncing around a bit in the next 5 years. First is DC area in a few months and then either Colorado or Wyoming. Tires are getting bald with a stock Pro 4x setup so now is the time. Looking at a coilover setup but came across a few users on this forum and other vehicle forums that had issues with them in low temps and/or with the salt on the roads. If you guys have any input I'd appreciate it. Don't really want clunking sound in cold weather or have to be meticulous with the maintenance. Ideally 2-3 inches lift with moderate off roading. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
... My question is what experience you guys have with coilovers or other setups like a full OME build with cold temps? ... Looking at a coilover setup but came across a few users on this forum and other vehicle forums that had issues with them in low temps and/or with the salt on the roads. If you guys have any input I'd appreciate it. Don't really want clunking sound in cold weather or have to be meticulous with the maintenance. Ideally 2-3 inches lift with moderate off roading. Thanks.
I have SPC UCAs and a set of MK84's from NISSTEC with a 1" top spacer and I'm very happy with them. I'm sitting at a bit over 3". Only maintenance is pressure wash them periodically and then spray graphite into the lower heim-style mount. I've had no noise. I have had some topping out of the CO when Off-Road and dropping into a hole or over a shelf. This only happens infrequently. If I didn't have them cranked up to 3" they wouldn't be doing that, just as if they had a rubber bushing on the lower mount there wouldn't be an audible noise when it tops (any strut or CO will top when a wheel quickly drops into a hole and you're moving at some speed)

Overall I like them. To get more travel you'd have to go to someone like King and measure your absolute up-travel and down-travel without bind (they may already have these numbers) and custom order. No-one offers Full travel/max travel for liability reasons. Every one designs in a safety margin.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I run radflos in Colorado. -20ish is abnormal temperature where I live. My truck only gets garage treatment once In a while as my wife's car and all of our bicycles take up the garage.

I will admit, after 4-5 days of extreme cold with no that my left radflo sounds awful. Truthfully I think it is ice build up in the lower mount be I can feel it. Once it thaws out it gets better.

The ride on and off road is killer and since they are rebuildable I don't mind. I have contemplated going to the tjm extended travels to go back to rubber bushings instead of metal bearings for the lower mohnt

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have SPC UCAs and a set of MK84's from NISSTEC with a 1" top spacer and I'm very happy with them. I'm sitting at a bit over 3". Only maintenance is pressure wash them periodically and then spray graphite into the lower heim-style mount. I've had no noise. I have had some topping out of the CO when Off-Road and dropping into a hole or over a shelf. This only happens infrequently. If I didn't have them cranked up to 3" they wouldn't be doing that, just as if they had a rubber bushing on the lower mount there wouldn't be an audible noise when it tops (any strut or CO will top when a wheel quickly drops into a hole and you're moving at some speed)

Overall I like them. To get more travel you'd have to go to someone like King and measure your absolute up-travel and down-travel without bind (they may already have these numbers) and custom order. No-one offers Full travel/max travel for liability reasons. Every one designs in a safety margin.

New Hampshire correct?

I run radflos in Colorado. -20ish is abnormal temperature where I live. My truck only gets garage treatment once In a while as my wife's car and all of our bicycles take up the garage.

I will admit, after 4-5 days of extreme cold with no that my left radflo sounds awful. Truthfully I think it is ice build up in the lower mount be I can feel it. Once it thaws out it gets better.

The ride on and off road is killer and since they are rebuildable I don't mind. I have contemplated going to the tjm extended travels to go back to rubber bushings instead of metal bearings for the lower mohnt

Ya the TJM with rubber bushings is my frontrunner currently. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
New Hampshire correct?
yes. so it's not SUPER cold, but its also not shorts weather. I've been running them a while, been pretty hard on them off-road and I have no complaints. I don't understand the cold issue you're talking about as 1) all hydroshocks would have this issue and 2)after a few miles the shock working would heat up.

I can see it being sluggish? maybe? Ice/frozen grit in the lower joint makes plenty sense to me though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks guys. This is putting me at ease about CO's. I guess I just did too much research last week. If you search hard enough you will find people that had problems with anything.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Just avoid any that use spherical bearings (heim joints, unibals) and they should do just fine. The salt and mud/slush will wear them out very quickly. You want bushings (like OEM), they will last you 60k-100k miles where as spherical bearings will go 20k-50k miles before needing replacement. Bushings are also much cheaper to replace when they go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts