Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I've been having a change of heart and I'm not so sure I want to go with the whole "prerunner" thing. I still think it would be fun and definitely looks killer, but at the moment I'm thinking about doing something a little different with my truck. My new idea isn't set in stone, but I'm going to really be looking into it.

So, does anyone know of a way to do a coilover swap, BUT instead of lifting it, I want it slammed on coilovers. I know SLR and TC both make/ made coilover swaps, but they're long travel kits and I dont think I would be able to lower a truck using those pieces.

Anyone have any input about this?

I know I could just go with bags, but that's not what I'm going for. So I'm really just looking for information/ help with being lowered on coilovers.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Ive read on here an inch is possable. To go more requires serious fab. No bolt on application to drop it. try searching "lowerd", "dropped" or "slammed" and see what comes up.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
its going to cost lots of money and require serious modifications. anything is possible, how deep are your pockets? there are no kits available for what you are talking about.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far all I've been able to find is 2" and 3" rear lowering block kit, lowering leafs, and dropped spindles, but even those parts are only available for regular and king cabs.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
crew cabs are very very hard to drop check out infamousnissan.com lots of good info on getting closer to the earth on there

·
Registered
305 Posts
just get a total chaos kit and use really small coils. hah
the kits so custom you could figure something out i bet

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Irongrave, I already am on that site. I guess it would be beneficial to ask there to.

Frontman, to be honest I was thinking the same thing for alittle while, but the more I thought about it the less sense it made of it working. Also 3k is way too much money to spend hoping something would work..

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
it would work, it would just be way way wide, as in, plan on the tires being outside the fenders.
if $3k is too much to spend then forget about lowering your truck and having it look/ride good.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
you need to make your own lowers then your own mounts if you can weld you cant make it up just be a lot of work

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if $3k is too much to spend then forget about lowering your truck and having it look/ride good.
I never said 3k was too much. I said it was too much to spend HOPING it would work. I have no problem spending money to do what I want, I just dont want to spend a ton of money on something that may or may not work.

Also, would it be possible to do a full suspension swap from a 2nd gen?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
what i meant was "slamming" a truck with just about no aftermarket for such a thing is going to be a custom job, wich will cost thousands to do. with custom suspension, there is always the chance of it not turning out the way you would expect.

2nd gen is completely different and it is not possible to swap without custom work- nor would it be worth it or beneficial to do so.

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
Also, would it be possible to do a full suspension swap from a 2nd gen?
No, they are not compatible at all. If so it would be much easier to convert to coilovers for us 1st gens. Typically your only options are pre-runner or SAS if you want coilovers, but I know nothing of lowering trucks so I can't say it's not possible. Maybe check out the street section on here and like Drew said, infamousnissan probably has some good information for this kind of thing too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I've been looking around and was wondering if it would be possible to use these Grant Kustoms and work with those to use coilovers? I really don't know where to even begin to look, I was just remembering what all came in with the TC kit and If I could replicate that, but in a "smaller" scale, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Its definitely not impossible. You are going to need custom upper and lower control arms to start. Those ones you posted could possibly work but dont think they will bolt right up. If you can't weld and can't fab just forget about doing this yourself.

If I wanted to lower my truck I would forget about coils and just run bags.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont plan on doing this myself at all. I'm just trying to figure everything out before I start asking for help and actually doing the work. I've already figured out a way to do coilovers in the rear, im just working on the front now.

Oh, and I have thought about bags, but thats not what I want and ultimately would not be happy.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Oh well in that case.. You seem to know what you want. Any good, experienced, reputable fab stop will be able to put your thoughts on your truck. I hope your pockets are pretty deep, at least 2-3k for coilovers all around alone. And since we unfortunately don't have much of an aftermarket for our trucks, everything will need to be custom. I don't mean to disrespect or discourage, just giving you a heads up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I dont plan on doing this myself at all. I'm just trying to figure everything out before I start asking for help and actually doing the work. I've already figured out a way to do coilovers in the rear, im just working on the front now.

Oh, and I have thought about bags, but thats not what I want and ultimately would not be happy.
Have you talked to Ice on infamousnissan.com he is in Bay minette.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome, I'll be sure to check him out when I get some more information and really get a good idea of where I'm going.

So far I know I'm going to need to make upper shock mounts, upper and lower control arms and that's all I've got for the front at the moment, I'm sure I'll need a few more pieces though :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts