Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since my front springs have sagged half an inch it looks like I will be going with some coilovers. I figure 2" up front and 1.5" block in the rear will due for now, although I keep racking my brain just when I think I have figured it out. I was thinking of going with the prg radflos that can go 0-3.5 and setting them at 2" this way if I decide to go higher later I can adjust them and add in a set of UCAs. I have also looked into the mk84 coil overs and notice they ride best at the 2" I also seen at Nisstec they offer the radflos in extended travel. If I was to go with those would I absolutely need the UCAs right away? If I am going this route am I better off getting the mk84 extended travel kit? Is there a noticeable ride quality difference between doing The coilovers with or without the UCAs? Was gonna go with the OME full kit but at that price I may aswell go with the mk84 kit. I was thinking tho if I go with the prg radflos and the 1.5" block I get a good ride quality that is further upgradable in the future is this correct? I have read bad things about the radflos and have read good about them. Is there a preferred coilover everyone is using? Do aftermarket UCAs make a ride difference or is it mainly for shock travel? My rear suspension seems to be sitting at stock height (21" hub to fender) so I feel a block will be sufficient enough. I don't do enough wheeling to really justify the mk84 but I am already close to that in price (if you call $500 close). Tell me what you think about the prg radflos and having potential to be upped more in the future with UCAs and AAL for the rear

MK 84 kit roughly $1500

PRG radflo $819.00
rear block $94.00
cam bolts $50-60
$973 total

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
v1ru5 said:
Since my front springs have sagged half an inch it looks like I will be going with some coilovers. I figure 2" up front and 1.5" block in the rear will due for now, although I keep racking my brain just when I think I have figured it out. I was thinking of going with the prg radflos that can go 0-3.5 and setting them at 2" this way if I decide to go higher later I can adjust them and add in a set of UCAs. I have also looked into the mk84 coil overs and notice they ride best at the 2" I also seen at Nisstec they offer the radflos in extended travel. If I was to go with those would I absolutely need the UCAs right away?
You don't need UCAs right away at just a 2" front lift; 2.5"-up you'll be prone to coil bucket contact. BUT if you go with an extended travel kit, that means you'll have more down travel = higher chance of CBC.

v1ru5 said:
Is there a noticeable ride quality difference between doing The coilovers with or without the UCAs?
Ride quality with aftermarket UCAs depends on if the aftermarket UCA uses pillowballs or bushings on the attachment points.

v1ru5 said:
Was gonna go with the OME full kit but at that price I may aswell go with the mk84 kit. I was thinking tho if I go with the prg radflos and the 1.5" block I get a good ride quality that is further upgradable in the future is this correct?
Depending on how you use your truck, blocks can do the job just fine. But just like the difference between using a spacer lift vs. full coilover - it depends on the usage. And don't gloss over the OME kit, the OME kit is a good, complete setup out of the box.

v1ru5 said:
I have read bad things about the radflos and have read good about them.

@Zedbra 's well documented experience with RadFlo's made me pass on them. Others swear by them, so yeah - depends who you ask.

v1ru5 said:
Is there a preferred coilover everyone is using?
I only speak for myself when I say that Kings are awesome, after first hand comparing against RadFlos, SAWs, and Bilsteins.

v1ru5 said:
Do aftermarket UCAs make a ride difference or is it mainly for shock travel?
Again, it doesn't affect ride quality other than what I mentioned above. The purpose of upgrading UCA's are more to clear the coil buckets and to allow for longer travel, if you need it.

My advice: think about what you really need for the type of driving you'll be doing. If you need more later you can always upgrade, which is better than going overboard and realizing later that you spent too much $$ on something that's overkill. ::wink::

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't need UCAs right away at just a 2" front lift; 2.5"-up you'll be prone to coil bucket contact. BUT if you go with an extended travel kit, that means you'll have more down travel = higher chance of CBC.

Ride quality with aftermarket UCAs depends on if the aftermarket UCA uses pillowballs or bushings on the attachment points.

Depending on how you use your truck, blocks can do the job just fine. But just like the difference between using a spacer lift vs. full coilover - it depends on the usage. And don't gloss over the OME kit, the OME kit is a good, complete setup out of the box.

@Zedbra 's well documented experience with RadFlo's made me pass on them. Others swear by them, so yeah - depends who you ask.

I only speak for myself when I say that Kings are awesome, after first hand comparing against RadFlos, SAWs, and Bilsteins.

Again, it doesn't affect ride quality other than what I mentioned above. The purpose of upgrading UCA's are more to clear the coil buckets and to allow for longer travel, if you need it.

My advice: think about what you really need for the type of driving you'll be doing. If you need more later you can always upgrade, which is better than going overboard and realizing later that you spent too much $$ on something that's overkill. ::wink::
Well I'm in the mindset that if I do anything to the suspension up front I want to improve the ride quality hence why I am leaning towards the coilovers since those seem to be the best quality. From what I have read the rear won't gain or lose anything with the blocks literally just lift it. I was just about ready to get the spacers n call it good. Once I confirmed the sag up front I figured coil overs would be better than the ome springs n shocks. Also biggest tire I would want to run would be a 285 if I even went there, I'm totally happy with the 265/75s

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Rogue Admin
13,351 Posts
Yeah, I cannot and will not recommend Radflos to anyone. I've had terrible experiences with mine, Nate's blew up right away and he replaced them, I hear others having issues with leaking as well. But...and there always seems to be a but....some users here have really liked theirs. They do seem to hold up well in drier areas. Nonetheless, I have Fox coils now because I can rebuild them easily where I live. I only have three months on them thus far and they ride smooth for a lifted coil. They only have 2" of lift and the I wouldn't want the springs any softer than they came.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I cannot and will not recommend Radflos to anyone. I've had terrible experiences with mine, Nate's blew up right away and he replaced them, I hear others having issues with leaking as well. But...and there always seems to be a but....some users here have really liked theirs. They do seem to hold up well in drier areas. Nonetheless, I have Fox coils now because I can rebuild them easily where I live. I only have three months on them thus far and they ride smooth for a lifted coil. They only have 2" of lift and the I wouldn't want the springs any softer than they came.
Is there a site you can recommend the fox ones? I was about to pull the trigger on the ones from prg. I noticed he is the only one to say they can go from 0-3.5" but go 3 max, all the other sites say 2.5" max but to stay at two. Is there in fact different versions? How would you compare the fox to the factory ride?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

So being at 2" with an extended travel is going to increase the chance of CBC vs a non extended travel kit? I am trying to plan this build strategically like you said since I don't want to go overboard just yet. I do know I want to go up 2" and I do know I want a better ride quality I am wanting the suspension to glide through road imperfections and not jolt the truck around driving over a large piece of gravel and off road I am hoping to get the ruts and washboards absorbed comfortably. I read another member on here doing a review on the radflos 2.0 set at 2" with the rear emulsions and a block and said is was a great ride on and off road. However with the horror story of Zedbras experience with the radflos makes me a little hesitant. Then at the same time I can get the OME kit which claims 1.5" however I have read of people getting 2" really so thats an option too but it seems to me that the coilovers are a better ride and can be rebuilt

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
Either way, lifting on stock UCAs increases the chance of CBC, obviously.

Another configuration to consider is the OEM kit with a 1/4" upper spacer in the front to get the theoretical 2" lift.

Also, don't assume that just by getting coilovers that you'll automatically have a "better ride". The name "coilover" is just a common name for a shock with adjustable spring perches. What affects ride quality is the valving of the shock and the correct spring rate.

Yes, it just got complicated.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

No, my Fox coils came with no lift preset. Getting them cranked to 2" was a labour of love. If you have ever tried using a coil wrench, you will know what I am talking about.
That is one task I would pull my hair out doing, I like the fact that PRG will be adjusted and valved with the order. Nisstec is closer to me about 6 hours away so in theory if I have any issues shipping and receiving will be much faster I do have a couple fox shock dealers close to me so I think I will give them a call to see what they say.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Either way, lifting on stock UCAs increases the chance of CBC, obviously.

Another configuration to consider is the OEM kit with a 1/4" upper spacer in the front to get the theoretical 2" lift.

Also, don't assume that just by getting coilovers that you'll automatically have a "better ride". The name "coilover" is just a common name for a shock with adjustable spring perches. What affects ride quality is the valving of the shock and the correct spring rate.

Yes, it just got complicated.
Only reason I am kinda over the OME kit is with getting the coilover assembled with new hardware and cambolts I am already at $1020 plus shipping. Altho I have read the OME ride quality is amazing. I can get the radflos 2.0 rear emulsions AAL and cam bolts from prg for $1377 or minus the rear emulsions puts me at $968. I can get the fox coilovers the cam bolts and AAL for $1010. I don't think I would really need rear shocks with the 1.5" block or AAL in the rear so I can save some cost there but keeping my stock bilsteins right? It would seem that the fox coilovers would be right up there with the kings right?

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
Only reason I am kinda over the OME kit is with getting the coilover assembled with new hardware and cambolts I am already at $1020 plus shipping. Altho I have read the OME ride quality is amazing. I can get the radflos 2.0 rear emulsions AAL and cam bolts from prg for $1377 or minus the rear emulsions puts me at $968. I can get the fox coilovers the cam bolts and AAL for $1010. I don't think I would really need rear shocks with the 1.5" block or AAL in the rear so I can save some cost there but keeping my stock bilsteins right? It would seem that the fox coilovers would be right up there with the kings right?
Well again - that's why I said ask yourself what you really want/need. It kind of seems like now you're focusing on how much you're going to have to spend. Lifting a truck costs money; lifting a truck over 2" costs more if you want to do it the right way. The moment you consider a full adjustable coilover for the front end, you're stepping into "performance coilover" territory. And you'll want to match the front and rear suspension (i.e. performance rear shocks) to keep suspension balance, or handling will suffer.

I'm not sure you have, but I'll recommend it anyways - read @JeniorNV 's suspension sticky:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/updated-suspension-lifts-body-lifts-2005-please-read-before-posting-here-63966/

Based on what amount of lift you want, what kind of performance, and how much you want to spend - the sticky thread will show you what realistic options you have.

Personal Opinion: No offense to any Fox owners, I've ridden in a few vehicles with Fox shocks and the ride is fine, but IMO Kings are in a different league. 8)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well again - that's why I said ask yourself what you really want/need. It kind of seems like now you're focusing on how much you're going to have to spend. Lifting a truck costs money; lifting a truck over 2" costs more if you want to do it the right way. The moment you consider a full adjustable coilover for the front end, you're stepping into "performance coilover" territory. And you'll want to match the front and rear suspension (i.e. performance rear shocks) to keep suspension balance, or handling will suffer.

I'm not sure you have, but I'll recommend it anyways - read @JeniorNV 's suspension sticky:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/updated-suspension-lifts-body-lifts-2005-please-read-before-posting-here-63966/

Based on what amount of lift you want, what kind of performance, and how much you want to spend - the sticky thread will show you what realistic options you have.

Personal Opinion: No offense to any Fox owners, I've ridden in a few vehicles with Fox shocks and the ride is fine, but IMO Kings are in a different league. 8)
Not so much how much I am going to have to spend I have already set my budget to $1500 for everything. I have read that sticky so many times and I think thats what keeps me changing my mind and possibly overthinking it. Im set at 2" cause anything more seems to be a little overkill for my use. I know I need new front springs cause they are sagging now about half an inch. Truck has 127k on original suspension so it only makes sense to get it all redone. This is what made me leap into the "performance coilover" territory since I don't feel the adjustable 5100s would be used to their potential with sagging springs. Would 5100 rears fall into the performance category? I guess I am scarred by spacer since my Jeep road so rough with them. Those were preloading the coil too and on our trucks I see these go on top of the coil so one would assume the ride wouldn't be a whole lot different from stock. Is there any other manufacturers that do something similar to the OME shocks and coils to give a true 2" with or possibly without a spacer? I like that the fox can be serviced locally vs the radflos are in Colorado at the closest. With your kings did they come preset or did you have to fine tune them?

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
Not so much how much I am going to have to spend I have already set my budget to $1500 for everything. I have read that sticky so many times and I think thats what keeps me changing my mind and possibly overthinking it. Im set at 2" cause anything more seems to be a little overkill for my use. I know I need new front springs cause they are sagging now about half an inch. Truck has 127k on original suspension so it only makes sense to get it all redone. This is what made me leap into the "performance coilover" territory since I don't feel the adjustable 5100s would be used to their potential with sagging springs. Would 5100 rears fall into the performance category? I guess I am scarred by spacer since my Jeep road so rough with them. Those were preloading the coil too and on our trucks I see these go on top of the coil so one would assume the ride wouldn't be a whole lot different from stock. Is there any other manufacturers that do something similar to the OME shocks and coils to give a true 2" with or possibly without a spacer? I like that the fox can be serviced locally vs the radflos are in Colorado at the closest. With your kings did they come preset or did you have to fine tune them?
I hear ya... I did the same thing, to the point of overthinking it a bit. It happens, that's normal.

AFAIK there's no other brand that does the 'complete package in a box' thing OME has. And for what it's worth, I'm running my Kings with a spacer for added lift but no change in spring pre-load, and it rides plush: PRG Lift Spacer Experiment (04.12.16)

Off-the-Shelf Kings are preset at 1" lift. However, my Kings are custom:Custom Front Coilovers - Suspension Upgrade, part 3 (01.16.16)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hear ya... I did the same thing, to the point of overthinking it a bit. It happens, that's normal.

AFAIK there's no other brand that does the 'complete package in a box' thing OME has. And for what it's worth, I'm running my Kings with a spacer for added lift but no change in spring pre-load, and it rides plush: PRG Lift Spacer Experiment (04.12.16)

Off-the-Shelf Kings are preset at 1" lift. However, my Kings are custom:Custom Front Coilovers - Suspension Upgrade, part 3 (01.16.16)
The forum you would think would make choosing a lift easy haha in fact it starts a fiasco of decisions. I think I am will just end up with the radflos from prg so they are shipped ready to drop in and the AAL for the rear with shocks and call it good. This would leave me with the ability to add UCSs with a small spacer up front and a block to the rear if I decide I need more

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I think you are way overthinking this...

Just get some 5100s and a small spacer. Set the Bils at 1.5" and buy a .5" spacer to get the rest of the height you want. I recommend this setup all the time as it rides good, its cheap, and will be more than enough for 90% of users on here (sounds like you included). The 5100s are not what I would consider a performance coilover, rather a modest improvement over stock. Do this plus a 1" block in the rear and you have a level truck that rides good for about $500 total.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you are way overthinking this...

Just get some 5100s and a small spacer. Set the Bils at 1.5" and buy a .5" spacer to get the rest of the height you want. I recommend this setup all the time as it rides good, its cheap, and will be more than enough for 90% of users on here (sounds like you included). The 5100s are not what I would consider a performance coilover, rather a modest improvement over stock. Do this plus a 1" block in the rear and you have a level truck that rides good for about $500 total.
Are you recommending the .5" spacer to account for the .5" sag I have on my front? When you say modest improvement will it be one of those "it feels the same maybe a little better" improvments? for the rear will the 1" block make for a level stance or will a 1.5" be too much rake?

·
Rogue Admin
13,351 Posts
good advice from glamis there. I actually put a 2" spacer on top of my Fox coils so that I wouldn't have to crank them too much to get the 3" of lift I wanted. I hate AAL - they made the back feel soft for road riding and hauling weight. AAL are good for flex - so 4x4ing is good with them. Otherwise, add a block on the cheap side or get custom springs for the rear. I prefer custom springs. I will say that my external reservoir extended travel rear Radlos have been great.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts