Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been "renting" spring compressors from O'Rielys the last several times I had to do front end suspension work. They are the "new" style ones and much nicer than the old hook style ones that I own and trashed.

You essentially buy them for $100+ and get a refund when you return them. I considered simply keeping/buying them when the unit was new/er, but now they too are getting pretty trashed.

I was at harbor freight tools the other day and they sold a pair that was identical (as far as I can tell) to the O-Reilly ones. $39.99, and I had a $10 off coupon for their new Maddox line of tools.

MacPherson Strut Spring Compressor Set

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I got the black one's you pictured from Sears several years ago. For $40 or so? it's been so long I don't remember. Were you just letting peps know they could get these, instead of renting?

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't really know what my point in sharing is. But yes something like that. When this style of compressor came out the price point made it so that renting was more economical. But now they seem cheap enough. A quick web search shows that one can easily find these for the $40 range.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I got a set from Harbor Freight when I bought the truck. Used them to put OME LD springs on Bilstien adjustables and got through the first assembly...... barely. Had to take them apart and reassemble and broke one on the second spring. I was looking for a better set but don't really need them anymore and stopped looking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just did my shocks/struts and rather than bother with this, I took the front units up to my local Big O tires and they charged me 50 bucks to swap out the struts in the coils. Totally worth it.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a set from Harbor Freight when I bought the truck. Used them to put OME LD springs on Bilstien adjustables and got through the first assembly...... barely. Had to take them apart and reassemble and broke one on the second spring. I was looking for a better set but don't really need them anymore and stopped looking.
How did you break them? I have borrowed the OReily set 3 times now. Never an issue except that the threads are beginning to see wear and running a bit rough. I'll have to admit I use an impact on them, and I think I read somewhere not to.

Though these seem to be identical to the OR ones, maybe they are of lower grade.

·
Registered
374 Posts
How did you break them? I have borrowed the OReily set 3 times now. Never an issue except that the threads are beginning to see wear and running a bit rough. I'll have to admit I use an impact on them, and I think I read somewhere not to.

Though these seem to be identical to the OR ones, maybe they are of lower grade.
I can see them breaking, look at the diameter of the spring, and then the
diameter of the threaded rod on the compressor. Those springs are STIFF!

I've got a drawer full of mangled compressors and pullers that just weren't
hardened enough to do the job they were made to do.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just did my shocks/struts and rather than bother with this, I took the front units up to my local Big O tires and they charged me 50 bucks to swap out the struts in the coils. Totally worth it.
What do you mean by this? Why feel the need to correct him? The coil springs aren't in the shocks. Coilover means coil spring over shock.
I think it was a reference to this post. And specifically "swap out the struts in the coils". And to point out like you stated they are shocks with oils over them, not struts.

·
Premium Member
6,668 Posts
What do you mean by this? Why feel the need to correct him? The coil springs aren't in the shocks. Coilover means coil spring over shock.
What do I mean? Well it's pretty simple - because he said "the struts in the coils" and it's incorrect and can mistakingly be misleading. The correction was made not as an insult to the OP, it was made so that in the future some newb doesn't stumble in this thread, read info, and end up having the wrong info. For example. in another thread there's a huge difference between saying "positive" vs. "negative" camber. As far as this thread goes:

1. There's a huge difference between "shocks" and "struts." There are no struts on our trucks.
2. Struts aren't "in" the coils and vice versa. Some people actually thought the rear shocks on trucks had "springs" inside them, because there's no visible coil spring on the outside (even if there's a leaf). Believe it or not, this is a true story.
3. If there's still new people in the suspension section asking what a "coilover" means (there is), then that means not everyone understands all of the terminology that we throw around in the forums.

Is that okay with you? LOL

EDIT: last sentence, don't take it too seriously.
::wink::

·
Registered
47 Posts
I understand your attempt to clarify the difference. Our trucks do have struts. In short, a strut is an assembly that is a structural part of a suspension system. The strut itself is a shock assembly that includes spring perches that hold the coil spring which when assembled turns the strut and coil spring into a coilover. Shocks only dampen the vehicles suspension while a strut (with a coil spring) suspends the vehicle and also dampens the suspension. In short, They're pretty much the exact same thing except a strut has spring perches. lol

·
Premium Member
6,668 Posts
I understand your attempt to clarify the difference. Our trucks do have struts. In short, a strut is an assembly that is a structural part of a suspension system. The strut itself is a shock assembly that includes spring perches that hold the coil spring which when assembled turns the strut and coil spring into a coilover. Shocks only dampen the vehicles suspension while a strut (with a coil spring) suspends the vehicle and also dampens the suspension. In short, They're pretty much the exact same thing except a strut has spring perches. lol
So awesome you practically cut-n-pasted Google word for word LOL

1. Springs don't "suspend", they support the weight of the vehicle. that is their only job.
2. Shocks control the movement of the chassis by resisting the rate that the spring extends after being compressed. That is also their only job.
3. Combine the two above, you have a coilover.
4. A strut does the same, except more - struts are usually also used as actual steering rotation points... most common being the MacPherson design.
5. Our trucks do not have struts.

it's almost 5pm, I need to leave the office LOL
:angel:

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yikes. I thought I at least had my suspension basics down after researching it for some time. I always considered them to be much similar. But I am not one to soley base my disagreement off Google. I'll gladly admit I'm wrong when I've mistaken something. I forgot this community can be ruthless at times

·
Premium Member
6,668 Posts
Yikes. I thought I at least had my suspension basics down after researching it for some time. I always considered them to be much similar. But I am not one to soley base my disagreement off Google. I'll gladly admit I'm wrong when I've mistaken something. I forgot this community can be ruthless at times
All in good fun.

At least now you know the difference ::smile::

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just joking around with you. Its how we show love around here. Otherwise we wouldn't even reply.::wink::

·
Registered
2,430 Posts

Mine did the same, the threads got rough even though I used a lot of WD40, and eventually one of the cast hooks broke. You have to accept that most things Harbor Freight are CHINA Freight and made the cheapest way possible. Because they started getting rough, I used bar clamps to take some of the load off the threads, and one of the hooks broke during the last reassembly. I was very lucky the clamps were in place or I think there might have been more damage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts