Nissan Frontier Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently no one knows how replacement coil overs work or listens to the guys running them longer then their trucks have been around. So here it is so hopefully you will all understand how it works.

Lift 1
OEM strut and spacer Spacer is placed on top of the OEM strut to gain lift. resulting combo is 3 inches or so longer then the OEM strut alone. The factory spring compresses at the same rate with the weight of the truck the spacer just moves it down. Because the spacer strut combo is longer then the strut it self the LCA and UCA are now extended as if the truck was at full droop. This results in the UCA contacting the coil bucket during down travel because the shock still has its normal range of motion. All a spacer lift dose is move the shock down. It will still unload at the same distance it would stock but its now 3 inches lower THIS IS WHATS CAUSES COIL BUCKET CONTACT

Lift 2
Coil over replacement. Coil over new shock body and stiffer spring rate to gain lift. The combo is normally only an inch or so longer then the OEM strut out of the truck. Lift is gained by the slightly longer body ALONG WITH STIFFER SPRING RATE This is the part that is lost on most people. because the spring compresses less under load the LCA and UCAs relative position dose not change as drastically as with a 3in spacer. This results in a much lower chance of coil bucket contact under normal driving as the coil over has more down travel before the UCA will contact the coil bucket.

I hope this clears it up for some.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
^ Ha! I bet this is because of my post on the other thread.

what the voices in my head tell me is....

As the truck goes up..... the control arms come down. If they come down, the UCA is close to the coil bucket.

So what your saing is that the slightly longer shock body, matched with the stiffer spring, some how change the relationship of the truck going up, and the control arms coming down?

And FYI you said.....

Apparently no one knows how replacement coil overs work or listens to the guys running them longer then their trucks have been around.

suggesting that I/we are saying your wrong..... Not the case. I have never heard of this before, ever. I have read on here that if you get the rad 2.0's or what ever, you still have contact if you crank them up, due to what I wrote above. And the only way to get away from it is aftermarket UCA's.

Just stating what I read, here, that makes sence. Thats all.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With out getting into a flame post, you are wrong, your logic is correct in theory but your not following basic suspension principles.

The distance between the lower mount and the upper mount is changed with a spacer lift. The oem coil still compresses the same amount (thus keeping the factory ride) the spacer ie the mounting distance is how you are gaining lift. With a coil over the spring compress less the mounting distance is unchanged. If a spring compresses less over the same distance the truck is going to be lifted what ever that spring rate is. The guys running into CB contact issues with cranked coil overs are going over 3 inches of lift.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
so a 3" spacer vs coil overs cranked to 3" of lift......which will have more CB contact?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
so a 3" spacer vs coil overs cranked to 3" of lift......which will have more CB contact?
He is saying the the coil over will have less chance to have contact.

What I think is thr real answer.... The after market coilover has inturnals that slow the rebound rate, or what they call "droop". (IMO droop is a "back woods" word. The cycles of a shock, coil, strut is... compresion and rebound)

So if the aftermarket coilover is vavled inturnaly, to have a slower rate of "rebound" it would be less likeliy to have contact.

What I see in my mind is a truck with ZERO coilover in it. raise and lower the truck, the UCA's and LCA's cycle just the same.... as it always did. THEY ARE CONECTED by the spindle. if the frame is lifted away from the graound by any means... spacer, aftermarket coil over, a magic wond.... the higher the truck, the lower the control arms... A simple as 1+1.

You can not, I repete... can not move one control arm, with out the other one following its EXACT, movment due to they are connected physicly by the spindle.

He had said eairlier, that the LCA may drop more then the UCA.... well if its useing the same spindle as before, I dont see how thats happening.

And get the shock out of the picture. Just invision our truck with no coil over in it... and cycle the control arms up and down.... the follow each other.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
With out getting into a flame post, you are wrong, your logic is correct in theory but your not following basic suspension principles.

The distance between the lower mount and the upper mount is changed with a spacer lift. The oem coil still compresses the same amount (thus keeping the factory ride) the spacer ie the mounting distance is how you are gaining lift. With a coil over the spring compress less the mounting distance is unchanged. If a spring compresses less over the same distance the truck is going to be lifted what ever that spring rate is. The guys running into CB contact issues with cranked coil overs are going over 3 inches of lift.

Ok, Ok, Ok, I see what he is saying. What I was saying about the control arms is 100% true. What he is saying is ....... in less words, the shock would have to sacrifice ride, to not let the suspension cycle be so.... "free" so to speak.

He is right...... at one point. But still the control arms move together. Higher the truck lower the control arms. The after market coil is resisting "rebound" to lessen the chance of contact.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
however with a coil over the UCA and LCA are not moving the same distance as with a spacer yes both are lifted 3 inches from stock but the get it 2 very different ways I've worked on enough of these trucks I've seen what spacer and coil overs do.

because they are the same length as an OEM coil over not extend like a spacer at full droop there is very limited contact

fully extended 3in lift coil overs no contact (they are at the same angle a OEM coil and spacer would be)

when you let the truck down the spring dose not compress as far as an OEM coil and spacer combo

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
however with a coil over the UCA and LCA are not moving the same distance as with a spacer yes both are lifted 3 inches from stock but the get it 2 very different ways I've worked on enough of these trucks I've seen what spacer and coil overs do.
Yeah, I get ya now.

Question, are anyaftermarket coil overs exturnally adjustable? On motorcycles they have clickers that control the compresion, rebound and "high speed" compression (<---- Big "G" outs. controls if say you are on flat ground and suddenly hit a steep hill. The high speed adj when cycling through the entire stroke, but not affecting how it handles quick stutter bumps where you are only using 25% of the sroke quickly.)

Any that you know of have any adjustments? I will think, not.... I never hear any one talking about it.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gotta pull them out and do it manually no click to change the rate though i have run that style coil over on my olkd auto x car. there are some strut replacements that let you adjust the compression and rebound rate

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
probably because it is just the shock, not a whole coil-over assembly.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Is this correct part??? How could it be so cheap???? Its $90, and its about the same thing as rad flows? I gotta be missing somthing!

Little help?

Bilstein shocks and struts for cars and trucks - Shockwarehouse.com
similar but not in the same catagory.

coilover can be rebuilt. The Valving on coilovers also can be changed.
With coilovers you can set the height of a truck without removing the suspension. You also more adjustability. With a lift shocks you move in half or quarter inches.
coilovers are larger. They come in 2.0", 2.5", or 3"-inch-diameter shock bodies.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm looking at getting a small lift in the near future so that 33's will fit when I need new tires. I've had my mind set on ~2" in the front with spacers and 1-1.5" in the back with blocks. If I go with the 5100 Bilsteins, I will not have any contact? Will I need to get new camber bolts up front with that lift?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I am in the same boat as to poster above. I am thinking about getting teh adjustable Bilsteins in front set at 1.5 in lift and a 1 in block or shackle in the back. I don't want to do cam bolts to fix camber, will this work? pwi, fwiw.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if you change your front ride height you are going to have camber issues lifting you get positive camber lowering you get negative camber you need camber bolts to fix this and get back to 0* of camber

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I just copied this post I made a few months back to show coil bucket contact.

An easy way to see if a lift will cause contact is to jack up the front so the tires are not on the ground to see if the upper control arms are sitting on the coil bucket.

Here is pictures of when my wife's truck then it was stock. As you can see the tires are not on the ground and the control arm does not make contact with the coil bucket.

Now here are some current pictures of my wife's truck with a 2" PRG pacers.
As you the control arm is sitting on the coil bucket at full drop.

Now here is my old lift. Just 2.5" AC coils. As you see with the tires are off the ground and the control arm does not sit on the coil bucket.

The same as with my current lift. A set of ICON coilovers set up for stock control arms. There is no contact.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
i want to see LCA angles one from a 3 inch lift spacer and one from a 3 inch coilover spacer. So i can get rid of my spacer and get back to the same hieght and get my lca at a more stock angle?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.