Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 8" SAW's in the front of my truck right now. They have 550# springs in them at the moment. I'm not getting the full amount of up travel with them I should. At full compression I'm no where near the bump stops and they are no where close to being bottomed out.

So I'm thinking of going to a softer spring, something like a 500# or even a 475#. What do yous think?

Click the link in my sig if you'd like info on what I have on my truck. I have ground the spimdles and cut some of the lower so there shouldn't be any bindage there. So let me know what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
did you do hoops? how'd you fit it?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
is it bracket lifted? cause there was no way to get the 8" i had in. See how tall it is installed

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
you can try a lower spring rate but i think its too long of a shock for that application. did anyone cycle it w/out the spring? Your bump travel is probably limited

·
Registered
377 Posts
How did you measure your "full compression"? Was it on a jack or forklift? If you measured this way you have to consider that the amount of weight that can be applied on a corner while driving (off-road) would be more than can be applied just by lifting the truck statically. Depending on what kind of driving you do, you should be sitting at around , I think, 30-50% sag meaning if you have a total of 9" of travel, your truck just sitting there should be using about 3-5". If it's much less than this then I would think that the spring is too stiff for your application.

If you add hoops or make the top mount higher, you will lower the static height of the truck but won't change where you sit within the shock. What's odd about this problem is that a lot of guys on here are using 500-650# springs, some with shrock bumpers, without issue. Like another poster said, the longer shock must be another factor. fwiw my Kings are 17" from eye to eye and I put in a 1 1/4" spacer for a 2 1/2" lift over stock.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
yes and no it will give him a little more adjustably. The problem is he runnign 8 inch shocks in an aplacation that calls for 6 inch shocks. if he puts hoops in he will gain the ability to adjust the preload and but running the right length shock.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Sounds like some shorter springs would band-aid it; you can use the same rate too.

_

^14" spring adjusted all the way out ________________________^12" spring preloaded gave back some droop travel.

G/L.

·
Registered
377 Posts
yes and no it will give him a little more adjustably. The problem is he runnign 8 inch shocks in an aplacation that calls for 6 inch shocks. if he puts hoops in he will gain the ability to adjust the preload and but running the right length shock.
Oh I see what you're sayin now. But in the end in order to keep this shock, he still needs to get a softer spring to access that adjustability you're talking about right?

I don't think he can put on a shorter spring without having problems with coil-bind.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Oh I see what you're sayin now. But in the end in order to keep this shock, he still needs to get a softer spring to access that adjustability you're talking about right?

I don't think he can put on a shorter spring without having problems with coil-bind.
He can run shorter springs and make it work buy moving the shock nut(not sure if that the right term) to adjust for the short spings he will still lose shock travel because the shaft will be in the shock body more and I'm not sure if he will bottom out the internals before the springs. He could just find some one that is putting hoops on and trade them.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
keep the shock and do the hoops and get the full potential of them. you'll love how it rides

1 - 20 of 32 Posts