Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just an idea I had a work today....
Our UCA has a ball joint. This joint is not welded in so there is some retaining circlip device. Procure a joint that fits the UCA with a longer threaded fastener or a longer joint itself. Ensure the fastener fits the spindle. Procure a steel/iron spacer as thick as the new joint is long. Install said spacer between UCA and spindle.

Possible issues:
1. Finding an appropriate ball joint.
2. Having a custom spacer made as the ball joint fastener may be tapered.
3. Spacer becomes a weak point.
4. Acquire salvage parts for fit and strength test.
5. May be more work than its worth.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Great idea, but aftermarket UCA's have been R&D'd, tested, and are available. Other side of the coin is to just lift it properly from the get go and this wouldn't even be an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What looks and sounds better, bling, expensive UCAs or a solution that might cost under $200. After market UCAs have been R&D. But they don't cost $600 to make. I'll say they cost way less than $200 a pair to manufacture. They address the CBC by being wider than the OEM, the articulation angles are still the same.
I will agree that an inch is too much. A half would do most people well.

People complain about doing it right with the "real" coil overs so someone now offers a lower cost option.

·
Registered
509 Posts
So the other day I had this guy with a spacer lift on his frontier park next to me at my work. As I was looking at it to see what he had done I noticed there was a flat ring that was mounted on top of the spacer and came out to the side of the coil bucket, right where the upper arm comes down, with a bump stop on it. If I see it again I'll try and take a pic or two

·
Registered
755 Posts
What looks and sounds better, bling, expensive UCAs or a solution that might cost under $200. After market UCAs have been R&D. But they don't cost $600 to make. I'll say they cost way less than $200 a pair to manufacture. They address the CBC by being wider than the OEM, the articulation angles are still the same.
I will agree that an inch is too much. A half would do most people well.

People complain about doing it right with the "real" coil overs so someone now offers a lower cost option.
Find me a ball joint that long and I'll give you a cookie and $10.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
So the other day I had this guy with a spacer lift on his frontier park next to me at my work. As I was looking at it to see what he had done I noticed there was a flat ring that was mounted on top of the spacer and came out to the side of the coil bucket, right where the upper arm comes down, with a bump stop on it. If I see it again I'll try and take a pic or two
That is the daystar or whatever spacer thingy. They incorporate a bumpstop to help limit the CB contact but if you have larger rims/tires or CST spindles, they cause issues as a fellow member has noticed.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Kinda makes sense to me. But would there be geometry issues with the uca and lca not being in parralel plane with each other. Your lca would be flat, so to speak, and your uca would have a slight upward angle to it. Would that cause any weird binding?
I also agree that UCA's are a little expensive in my opinion, just like IMS spacers(spacer more so). If they actually cost $500+, why can rough country make some for titans for $90? I think thats the price I remember someone posting. Is everyone else using gold bar to make em. I get there are some differences such as the joints that will affect price differences, but that a huge difference.
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to delete the coil bucket and do a shock hoop, but I don't have the knowledge to make my own and I don't think anyone makes one ready for welding.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The Titan UCAs that come with the RoughCountry Titan leveling kit slightly applies this idea. The ball joint is from Autozone (FA903) and is slightly longer than the frontier/titan UCA ball joint. As you can see in the pic below, there is more distance between the top and bottom of the ball joint boot as compared to a boot on a stock ball joint.

To be fair, the extra length gained from the bolt being longer is actually lost since the extra length slides through the spindle and there are 2 spacers provided in the kit that slide over the bolt before tightening the castle nut and finishing with the cotter pin. Since the shaft on the bolt is tapered so the spindle will sit snugly at its proper resting place, I would not recommend placing the spacers on top of the spindle. The spindle would be able to rattle around while the UCA remained in a fixed position.

·
Registered
509 Posts
That is the daystar or whatever spacer thingy. They incorporate a bumpstop to help limit the CB contact but if you have larger rims/tires or CST spindles, they cause issues as a fellow member has noticed.
Oh ok, the guy had 17's, and 275/70 tire size but I didn't see if he had any rubbing by the spacers

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Our UCA's are $600. These are for Titans are $269.95 and come with UCA's, joints and spacers.
Nissan Titan Suspension Lift Kit

If the spacer in not all that long, interally tapered and installed/torqued correctly (i know, not much torque can be apllied but the tapering helps grip) it should not move much.
Another option is making a UCA that reuses the OEM balljoint or aftermarket ball joint. The Calmini units place the joint lower on the UCA to correct the angle.
http://www.purenissan.com/D40Control Arm.htm

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
The reason that there is contact is because there is no negative travel bump stop. In the stock setup Nissina uses the shock/coil to limited downward travel. If you look at anyother suspension out there, there is something that limits the travel. Either a bump stop or limiting straps. Jsut take a look at the thread frontire wrote about adding a small bump stop to the UCA. That is all you have to do stop CB contact.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Our UCA's are $600. These are for Titans are $269.95 and come with UCA's, joints and spacers.
Nissan Titan Suspension Lift Kit

If the spacer in not all that long, interally tapered and installed/torqued correctly (i know, not much torque can be apllied but the tapering helps grip) it should not move much.
Another option is making a UCA that reuses the OEM balljoint or aftermarket ball joint. The Calmini units place the joint lower on the UCA to correct the angle.
D40 Upper Arms
The price on the RoughCountry arms helped make my Titan swap more affordable. I like the design of the PRG titan arms as well as the Camburg and total chaos, but I was on a budget. I only used the arms from the RC kit and sold the rest of the parts (also helped recover some of the costs).

The taper on the shaft of the FA903 ball joint is unfortunately not enough to catch the spindle before it meets the boot, but there are plenty of ball joint designs and shaft thicknesses out there so there is the possibility...find the right ball joint and arms design to do what you are describing.

I think PRG got the design right by bending (really just welding but you know what I mean) the tubing out-of-plane to locate the uni-ball lower and provide more functional travel. The fact that most aftermarket UCAs for the frontier and titan are bent/welded in a single plane is one major complaint I have when it comes to the UCAs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
just grind the metal off of the coil bucket were the uca hits... there are a bench of titan guys doing this ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts