Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First post here, but long time lurker (since 2016). I have learned so much on this forum for my 2011 SV and now for my 2023 Pro-4x (damn I love this thing).

I recently had the 5100’s installed at the 1.5” setting. Had this done at my dealership. I discussed with the technician in person on how the shocks/springs have to be installed after watching countless YouTube videos and threads on here, and common mistakes made when installing them. He showed me all the work as he did it as he was doing so. On the lift during the install, there was about 2mm max of gap between the UCA and the coil bucket, but no contact. Anyways, got it home. Drives great. I took it down our bumpy farm road last night and drove moderately working the suspension. Didn’t notice any clunks or harsh sounds. I jacked it up with the wheels off the ground and noticed there seems to have been some very minor CBC. However, there still was a gap and no contact when I lifted the wheels off the ground at home.

From everything I’ve read, I shouldn’t be getting CBC, right? What could be causing this? Would appreciate any thoughts from you all.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Alloy wheel

Tire Automotive tire Light Automotive design Tread

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread

· Registered
424 Posts
You may be getting CBC because 2mm clearance could be getting consumed by components flexing. When the truck is cruising down bumpy farm roads there's a lot a dynamics happening and a lot forces in play so it's entirely possible that CBC is happening as multiple components flex just the tiniest amount.

As other users have mentioned, put some chalk or marker on there to test further.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may be getting CBC because 2mm clearance could be getting consumed by components flexing. When the truck is cruising down bumpy farm roads there's a lot a dynamics happening and a lot forces in play so it's entirely possible that CBC is happening as multiple components flex just the tiniest amount.

As other users have mentioned, put some chalk or marker on there to test further.
I was also concerned about this given the thin margin of error. I did use a sharpie and colored it back in. Drove down the same road pretty spirited (way more than I ever would normally) and didn’t notice any CBC. Didn’t notice any clunking or harsh sounds. I rarely go off road and when I do, it’s not anything close to rough nor do I drive anything but slow. Maybe/hopefully it was from the install and I won’t have any more issues.

· Registered
61 Posts
There's something called recoil during certain driving conditions can you only encounter while driving. It is normal to have some CBC with 1.5" of lift. If offroading rigorously enough, you will notice it more depending on your speed.

· Registered
2,431 Posts
Edited

· Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
329 Posts
Keep in mind that the 5100s are slightly longer than the 4600s when assembled. Maybe about 1/2" or so longer. Consider it like a built in spacer. That could cause CBC in certain circumstances

· Registered
2,431 Posts
In this chart is the length of your coilovers if interested in comparing.

Font Material property Parallel Number Pattern

· Registered
7,985 Posts
Gen 3 and 2 are said to share the same suspension. Wonder if there are slight differences. For one you can gain 4" of lift on a G3, but not possible on a G2 as there is not enough drop travel to ekk out that much lift. I has assumed that they simply came from the factory with less preload, but maybe there is some differences in the layout geometry.

· Registered
3 Posts
Gen 3 and 2 are said to share the same suspension. Wonder if there are slight differences. For one you can gain 4" of lift on a G3, but not possible on a G2 as there is not enough drop travel to ekk out that much lift. I has assumed that they simply came from the factory with less preload, but maybe there is some differences in the layout geometry.
Rear stock shocks on my Gen 3 are 1” longer then Gen 2. I ordered a 05-2021 Dobinsons 2.5” lift kit that used the gas charged shocks. Everything fit perfect on my 22 Frontier Pro-4x, the only difference I found was the 05-2021 rear shocks included in the kit were 1” shorter then my stock 22 Pro-4x shocks, I ended up reusing my stock rears (till they need replaced).

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Truck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts