Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Nissan Frontier SE 4L V6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m 4 months past inspection due to these codes. My cats were clogged so I replaced all 4 cats and sensors and the codes popped up, I didn’t have those codes previously. I had a P0430 code and that’s now gone because of new cats. So I went to autozone to get a scan to be sure because I have a cheap scan tool and the only code that popped up for them was P0174 system lean bank 2 most likely solution was the maf sensor got a new one, code went away on my scan tool but the 2 codes are still there. Any ideas? Thank you.
Font Material property Rectangle Paper Parallel

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Congrats on getting to 205 k miles. The Gen 2 is strange in that inter-related systems fail in a cascading fashion. In my example, I changed my spark plugs. This caused my cats to throw P0430 and P0420. After changing my cats, my engine threw P0300 (random misfire). After chasing this around for a month, I changed out the secondary cats and all was well.

In your case, one or more of your O2 sensors is not working. These sensors are inter-related to the primary cats so it's no surprise you got these codes. I would not replace the MAF yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on getting to 205 k miles. The Gen 2 is strange in that inter-related systems fail in a cascading fashion. In my example, I changed my spark plugs. This caused my cats to throw P0430 and P0420. After changing my cats, my engine threw P0300 (random misfire). After chasing this around for a month, I changed out the secondary cats and all was well.

In your case, one or more of your O2 sensors is not working. These sensors are inter-related to the primary cats so it's no surprise you got these codes. I would not replace the MAF yet.
I already bought a new maf sensor 🤦‍♀️. So how do I know what sensor it is. Is there a way to test it like with a Multimeter?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I already bought a new maf sensor 🤦‍♀️. So how do I know what sensor it is. Is there a way to test it like with a Multimeter?
First off, did you buy an OEM MAF? If not, it may not work. No need to test it. It either fits in where the MAF is (just downstream of the air filter) or it doesn't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off, did you buy an OEM MAF? If not, it may not work. No need to test it. It either fits in where the MAF is (just downstream of the air filter) or it doesn't.
I bought one at autozone $150 and bought maf sensor cleaner and the didn’t work on the original maf sensor but the new sensor from autozone did work when I installed it. The P0174 code went away but the P0057 and 37 codes are still there. I was wondering is there a way of testing the o2 upstream sensors?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I bought one at autozone $150 and bought maf sensor cleaner and the didn’t work on the original maf sensor but the new sensor from autozone did work when I installed it. The P0174 code went away but the P0057 and 37 codes are still there. I was wondering is there a way of testing the o2 upstream sensors?
You are lucky that the aftermarket MAF sensor worked.

At 205k miles just install new O2 sensors. Use Japanese brands.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Personally, I'd replace all of the O2 sensors with Japanese brand ones, examples: OEM (always the right answer), NGK, Hitachi. If your cats went bad, your sensors could have been the culprit, so save the new cats and replace them - I'm surprised they lasted 205k. The MAF and the O2 sensors work together to regulate the fuel mixture of your vehicle. New plugs and a new MAF was a good call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts