Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with these guys? They are located just north of the border in Vancouver, BC and have a very low profile and high clearance front bumper option for the 2nd gen. It's sold as a weld-together kit that is also available in aluminum. They said that they also have some high clearance wrap around rear bumpers on the way for both the 2nd gen frontier and xterra.

https://www.coastaloffroad.com/3rd-gen-4runner/2nd-gen-frontier-high-clearance-plate-bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Maybe I'm dense but what does "weld together" mean. Do they send you a box of pieces and you weld it together?

Guess they answered that on their website:
All our bumpers, skid plates and swing out carrier systems will arrive at your doorstep as weld together kits. This means that everything you need to assemble the product is provided to you along with very detailed instructions. You must then weld it together yourself using your vehicle as the jig to build it off of.

Would be nice to see a youtube video of the process from start to finish.

·
Registered
2018 Pro4X 6MT
233 Posts
I don't really see the market here... How many people actually have the skill, equipment and inclination to do the welding themselves, but don't have the skill, equipment and inclination to do the design themselves as well? That said, the price is about half what Shrock charges and looks fairly similar to me.
Have you seen how many jackass brodozers there are running around with the Move bumpers on the front of their trucks? Every single one of those are a weld-it-yourself bumper. I think the market is definitely there for Coastal Offroad.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't really see the market here... How many people actually have the skill, equipment and inclination to do the welding themselves, but don't have the skill, equipment and inclination to do the design themselves as well? That said, the price is about half what Shrock charges and looks fairly similar to me.
It’s one thing to weld a bumper together, it’s an entirely different beast to contend with going through the design/prototype process beforehand. I built a rear bumper for my 1st gen. Designing it took quite a bit of time and rework. Welding it together was the quickest and most fun part of the project. I really wasn’t aware of these two companies before this thread. Seriously considering buying a kit and welding it up. ...Each their own... or whatever.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
It’s one thing to weld a bumper together, it’s an entirely different beast to contend with going through the design/prototype process beforehand. I built a rear bumper for my 1st gen. Designing it took quite a bit of time and rework. Welding it together was the quickest and most fun part of the project. I really wasn’t aware of these two companies before this thread. Seriously considering buying a kit and welding it up. ...Each their own... or whatever.
Interesting. I guess I'm biased because I'm an engineer, not a welder. For me, there's absolutely no chance that the welding would be the easiest/quickest part.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The design process wasn’t that hard, just very time consuming because I was doing it old school. Cardboard and tape. No CAD or shears or brakes. I ended up notching the back side of the steel for a bend line then welded the back side for strength. Would have loved to have a kit.

·
Premium Member
12,312 Posts
if these dudes are still around on my next frontier this is what i will do. so much easier for me to use a welder than to make a bumper out of cardboard and have someone else make the parts.

plus once you get this weld kit in, you can modify to suite your needs more personally.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,975 Posts
Group buy?
I'm interested, depending on how bad shipping is. Locally I have a friend that welds for a living for a service company and also has his own fabrication and powdercoating side business.

I'd be even more interested if they had a rear bumper too. I'm more in the market for one of those, but I wouldn't mind doing both if the price is right. Plus if the parts come as a flat-pack kit then it might not be a whole lot worse to have both disassembled bumpers shipped rather than just one.

It probably wouldn't hurt to get more information on how it interfaces to skid plates given the low-hanging radiator on these trucks, and to learn more about how the winch mounting works. The three photos don't show a winch actually installed in the bumper and the face is at an angle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What's necessary to put this together? I've been interested in learning to weld. I'm guessing just a welder and an angle grinder? Do you weld it together while it's on the truck? How easy is it to mess this up?
To add, is there a difference in welding aluminum vs steel?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm interested, depending on how bad shipping is. Locally I have a friend that welds for a living for a service company and also has his own fabrication and powdercoating side business.

I'd be even more interested if they had a rear bumper too. I'm more in the market for one of those, but I wouldn't mind doing both if the price is right. Plus if the parts come as a flat-pack kit then it might not be a whole lot worse to have both disassembled bumpers shipped rather than just one.

It probably wouldn't hurt to get more information on how it interfaces to skid plates given the low-hanging radiator on these trucks, and to learn more about how the winch mounting works. The three photos don't show a winch actually installed in the bumper and the face is at an angle.

From a quick google search it appears that Costal sells pre-cut flat plate parts that require full assembly whereas Move sells components that are flat AND pre-bent in their kits. I feel Costal has a better looking product but it wouldn’t be as strong or as easy to assemble/weld as the Move.

I’m more interested in a rear bumper as well. Neither costal or Move make one for the 2nd gen. Maybe if we had enough people for a group buy they would provide a CAD rendering before purchases were finalized or production (cutting) started.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What's necessary to put this together? I've been interested in learning to weld. I'm guessing just a welder and an angle grinder? Do you weld it together while it's on the truck? How easy is it to mess this up?
To add, is there a difference in welding aluminum vs steel?
You would most likely bolt up sections to the front of your truck and build out from there... tack the thing together, pull it from the truck and then weld it up while it is off the truck.

It’s not hard to weld. You tube would provide sufficient instructions for sure. You would probably want to go with mig welding if you are just learning and not making a career of it. Aluminum is a bit more complicated and expensive to weld than mild steel. It will become liquid faster than steel and it dissipates heat much faster than steel making it harder to build up heat where you want it. Basically you have a narrow window to build up heat in the base metal then move on down the line with your bead before it melts away. Not impossible, just not as easy as mild steel from a beginner’s standpoint. Aluminum also requires a special ($500+) gun when mig welding that you don’t need when when you are welding mild steel.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,387 Posts
Why have I not seen this already? They are local to me as well - that is a first. I may pick one of these up and get my weld on.

Says shipping is flat rate $120USD. https://www.coastaloffroad.com/faq

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Group buy?
I'm sure they would be interested if someone emailed them!

From a quick google search it appears that Costal sells pre-cut flat plate parts that require full assembly whereas Move sells components that are flat AND pre-bent in their kits. I feel Costal has a better looking product but it wouldn’t be as strong or as easy to assemble/weld as the Move.

I’m more interested in a rear bumper as well. Neither costal or Move make one for the 2nd gen. Maybe if we had enough people for a group buy they would provide a CAD rendering before purchases were finalized or production (cutting) started.
When I talked to them, they said they have a full wrap-around rear bumper with single and dual swing out options coming this spring. Said it will be similar in design to their Tacoma wrap around:

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd buy one of those.
... Well at about $1,200 USD (all options as shown in the left pic above) I think I'd get my design on.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,975 Posts
When I talked to them, they said they have a full wrap-around rear bumper with single and dual swing out options coming this spring. Said it will be similar in design to their Tacoma wrap around:

Not as wild about that design to be honest. I like the idea of protecting the quarter panel, but it looks like they cut off the quarter panel below the bed floor instead, and there's no more center step area either.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Not as wild about that design to be honest. I like the idea of protecting the quarter panel, but it looks like they cut off the quarter panel below the bed floor instead, and there's no more center step area either.
Oh ya! It looks like a good foot has been taken off the bed corners of that Tacoma. It's the first area to get crunched by rocks if you wheel though, so I'd say it's worth it if that's what you're into. Their bumpers seem to be pretty offroad-focused so I guess that's the price to pay for max clearance/ departure angles!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hard to beat that price. I think I could borrow a buddy's welder.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts