Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 Nismo 6MT V6 with 69K miles.

Noticed clutch was slipping yesterday and has gotten worst today so I took her to a local Nissan dealer and got an estimate. Initial was $2,150! and the rep lowered it to $1,850.

Parts pretty much took the chunk of the cost:
-cover assembly - $202
-disc - $110
-bearing release - $50
-bushing 1st shaft - $5
-flywheel assmble - $657
so total for part is roughly $1,120

I was able to check for the same parts online and would have cost me $780.

I decided to think twice about this so I called my Dad's mechanic and he was able to quote me $1500 for everything. And he also asked if I wanted to upgrade the clutch kit to a racing one.

So is there an aftermarket racing clutch for the D40? I found one online but with a brand name "Spec" for $399 for a Stage 1.
And the OEM replacement is an Exedy brand and would be around $180-$220.

I mean if my dad's mechanic will flat out charge a set price and can upgrade a clutch kit to a racing one, I guess why not. But with the flywheel, no luck on as far as racing ones.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Jim Wolf Technology. Check it out

·
Registered
128 Posts
Very cool. Does anyone happen to know the weight of the stock flywheel?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Yup, a lot of us got the clutch/flywheel jwt combo for $659 + shipping. Just got it installed for $300, total price came to $1,050 including the tranny oil. When i saw my clutch, it still looked good, but wanted to take care of this now, rather than later.

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow. Thanks for that piece of info.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yes, just like the stock crank pulley it's a bit of an anchor.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, a lot of us got the clutch/flywheel jwt combo for $659 + shipping. Just got it installed for $300, total price came to $1,050 including the tranny oil. When i saw my clutch, it still looked good, but wanted to take care of this now, rather than later.
sounds like you got a deal there. did you got the clutch and flywheel installed in a shop or do-it-yourself?

I am considering it but I've never done a clutch or any tranny work before.

Man, so you do have to drain the tranny oil too eh? I just did the 60k maintenance last year (fluid change) and it's only been 9k since then.

How's the new clutch kit/flywheel combo treating ya? And did you order the, directly or from a Group Buy?
Did you had to get the extra parts the dealer listed for me as well? like those bushings and bearing release? are these even needed?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
had mine in the dealer yesterday to cash in on a oil change coupon, I had them check my clutch while it was in and they estimated 30-50% REMAINING @ 49k miles. they said they cant know exactly how much is left just estimate off of the position of the clutch cylinder (bottom of the clutch housing). I have been driving manuals for nearly 15 years (all nissans) does 50k seem right to have 30-50% left? last thing I want is my clutch going out while out camping on some back roads, how any more miles do you guys think I should push before I just pull the trigger?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
had mine in the dealer yesterday to cash in on a oil change coupon, I had them check my clutch while it was in and they estimated 30-50% REMAINING @ 49k miles. they said they cant know exactly how much is left just estimate off of the position of the clutch cylinder (bottom of the clutch housing). I have been driving manuals for nearly 15 years (all nissans) does 50k seem right to have 30-50% left? last thing I want is my clutch going out while out camping on some back roads, how any more miles do you guys think I should push before I just pull the trigger?
I had the same amount left on my clutch. I replaced it at 38,000 but could have gone 20-40,000 if i stayed off the beach and mountains.

Nismo_R6
I started the group buy but i've noticed in the past that people who weren't part of the GB called anyways and asked if they could get the price and they said yes. So go ahead and try and all parts are included. I had a shop install it in Arizona for 300. It feels jumpy at first but it's now better. You just need need a lot more gas to get yourself moving... which kinda bugs me, but that's why it's a light flywheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had bought a brand new 2006 frontier with the manual. I got 900 miles on the clock, then the clutch started to slip. It went 2,800 miles before i was broke down on the side of the road with a burned up clutch. Nissan said it was driver error and made me pay. Nissan doesn't give a crap about the manual trucks and they will do everything they can just so they don't have to pay for any of the repair costs. So I am surprised people have gotten 50,000 miles out of these stock clutches.

Oh and when we took the truck in at 900 and 1,500 miles to tell the dealership the clutch was slipping, they paid no attention to it. They said it was a self-adjusting clutch and that it wasn't slipping. Yeah what a load of crap.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Oh and when we took the truck in at 900 and 1,500 miles to tell the dealership the clutch was slipping, they paid no attention to it. They said it was a self-adjusting clutch and that it wasn't slipping. Yeah what a load of crap.
the dealer just told me I didn't know how to drive a clutch..then it went out at 28k, at that time there was no after market.

Centerforce Clutches and SPEC Clutches & Flywheels: Auto Parts, Domestic, Import, Truck, Racing, Drifting :: Home both have clutch that will work with stock fly wheel so that will save you some costs. I'm looking at running the Spec because you have a lot more options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not to be argumentative, but I was really pleased with my 6 Speed on my '05 Frontier SE. I regularly towed with it (probably no more than 3000 lbs.) and sold it recently with 130,000 miles on the original clutch.

I recently would have bought another in a heart beat if I could have found one. I love my '10 Pro-4X, but so miss that great 6 Speed...

If only I could drop a 6 Speed in my Pro-4X....

·
Registered
87 Posts
rev

can anyone comment on how much quicker the engine revs and how throttle response feels with the lightweight flywheel. Is there any disadvantage of canning the stock dual mass flywheel?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts