Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never liked the feel of the clutch, and when I was under the dash adjusting the pedal free play I observed the massive return spring.

It's not a "stretch" type, but is wound like a clockspring. It's just too heavy, and it makes it tough to feel the engagement point of the clutch, when you're fighting the return spring.

Wondering if anyone has disconnected the spring and how the clutch pedal felt afterwards.

If the clutch still needed a bit of assist to return to the pedal stop, a lighter stretch spring would probably do the job.

Thx...........ed

'98 Frontier KC XE - 2.4 5-speed

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got a 2nd gen, and also have never liked the feel. The friction point is almost imperceptible. All my other experience with manual transmissions is with cars, so I'm not sure what these are supposed to feel like. What I know is that I don't like it, and I believe it can be improved. FWIW, the "return spring" on my e36 BMW is actually an assist spring that helps you keep the clutch pedal pressed down, and can be deleted. I haven't investigated this in the truck yet.

What I have learned, and there are actually some threads about this w/r/t your first gen trucks, is that many vehicles have a clutch damping mechanism that restricts the flow of hydraulic fluid from the master to the slave. The purpose I believe is to make shifts smoother. Search "clutch damper bypass / delete" to see what shows up ... I found this: Clutch Damper Elimination Bypass D21 P/U - Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Update: I have actually deleted one of the springs in the clutch pedal. It is not the obvious one that is visible in the middle of the pedal arm, but the one that is hidden at the top under the dash.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talk about resurrecting an old thread! Been driving the old Beast for 14 years now and it only has about 87,000 miles on the clock. Still runs great with nary a problem. The clutch hasn't changed any but since I adjusted the free play, it's much better to drive.

Thanks for your input........ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts