Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

New guy here. I have had this truck, a 2000 SE with V6 and manual transmission for about 6 years now. The clutch started making noise during take-off so I pulled the transmission, broke the CKP(wonder how many people have done that?) and put a new clutch in and fixed the CKP. I found it very hard to get at that CKP sensor with the exhaust in the truck....

Anyway, it runs and the new clutch just works great, except that now my pedal will sometimes stick to the floor. The pedal effort is VERY light compared to the old clutch. However despite the easier pedal the grab, pick-up point and so on are fine. No slip when fully engaged, it works great just the pedal sometimes sticks.

I flushed out the brake fluid in the hydraulics; that didn't seem to help, pedal is the same.

I got my head under the dash and I see a large spring. One of the outer ends of this spring has worn out of its original hole and is marching towards the edge of the pedal frame. This appears to be cocking the pedal a bit and pushing the operating pushrod off-center. This might explain the "creakkkkk" I've been getting from the pedal for the past couple years.

So I go online to see about a new clutch pedal assy and it appears that Nissan has discontinued most of the clutch pedal parts, and the entire assembly(!)

Any advice on how to repair this is welcome. Not quite sure where to go when I can't get parts....?

Thanks,

H.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
What about getting that hole welded up and/or drilling a new hole for the spring ??

It wouldn't hurt either to clean and lube all the stuff at the pedal assembly.

I don't think this issue is going to warrant getting used pedal assembly from a parts yard.

On my 1988 Mazda truck, I had the situation where the clutch pedal would stay at the floor; I just bought/installed new clutch master and new slave cylinder on that to fix, didn't even try to isolate which one was bad. Note that those Mazda trucks have poor hydraulic cylinders that seem to need replacement every few years, where my 1998 and 2004 Frontiers 5-speeds are still on ALL their original factory hydraulic cylinders.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts