Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bad news today
whiles driving my navara today stoped at home 2 get som stuff then suddenly my clutch feels funny.
going in reverse,release my glutch n the vehicle not going any where,handbrakes down no foot on the brakes.found that strange.
put it in 1st gear same thing.:censor:
but also the 1 thing i found strange with the van was it use 2 slowly then gradually respond to the gears. i thought it was because of the cruise control.

so i ask a mechanic wht he thnk.he told me thats how these vans operate because they don't release the clutch right away they gradually give it 2 u , because the clutch has a spring on it just 4 that purpose. not 2 rush the gears but gradually give it..

so right now vehicle is down,priced a new clutch n pressure plate 2000 ec dollars.
gotta go n get it tomorrow :confused:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Clutches usually get worse over time, not it's good one moment gone, the next. Take a look at the master cylinder and see if the fluid is low. Also, look at the slave cylinder on the bell housing and see if it's wet. You may need to pull the rubber boot back.

·
Super Moderator
11,064 Posts
Clutches usually get worse over time, not it's good one moment gone, the next. Take a look at the master cylinder and see if the fluid is low. Also, look at the slave cylinder on the bell housing and see if it's wet. You may need to pull the rubber boot back.
I agree. The slave cylinder usually goes first. I don't like the fact that the clutch and brakes share a container. In the old days you looked at a clutch only bottle and knew if it was low. If our brakes are wearing down the level lowers as the calipers keep the pistons out a bit. So, I guess we have to wonder why the fluids low. Sometimes they should leave things as they used to be.
Remember cable actuated clutches?

Clint

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
How many miles on it? They're only good for about 60-70 thous under "normal" driving conditions. But I agree with some of these other posts in that USUALLY the slave cylinder goes first and suddenly like that. Clutches usually go gradually.

:hi:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys will chk 2 see if the slave cylinder is alright n the boot

thanks.but i still bought the clutch n pressure plate today going to wk on it on saturday.
trying 2 get some friends 2 help

thks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts