Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
edit: somehow didnt see your included audio/video link. That clunk IS really annoying. Almost sounds like a flexing piece of sheet metal popping in and out. Is the noise occurring when you exert force down AND when it comes back up?
Both down and up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Rogue Admin
13,224 Posts
Loose axle nut?
Axles seem to be the one thing not mentioned yet, so this is not a bad place to look.

Do you have issues with the SPIN light coming on and off often? It can be a sign of a poor bearing within the hub.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have had some clunks like in the video.
One was the sway bar bushing mount bolts loose....I tightened
Other was loose or worn body mount front cab drivers side, sprayed with white lithium grease and tightened.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No spin light. But I will retorque the hub nuts.

I was reading in another thread, I can't remember which one, but it mentioned the steering rack can make a clunking noise if it's going bad. I haven't noticed any excessive play in the steering, but that could be another place to look.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So is the hub the first place to start trouble shooting for the front axles? Forgive my ignorance, but this is the first time I have really tore into a vehicle with IFS. Solid axles their suspension are so much easier to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
There is one axle nut that holds the axle into the wheel hub.

·
Registered
869 Posts
How many miles on the Radflo's ? ..... could be the spherical bearings are worn out on your Radflo's.
I send my Radflo's back to Radflo to be re-built every 30k to 40k miles.
You could spray the Radflo spherical bearings with some Tri-flow or some lubricant that doesnt attract dirt and see if the noise lessens.
or
One or some of the three nuts on you Radflo's are loose on your tophat?
or
It could be the Radflo clunk (your lower coilover bolt in the lower control arm).
Here is a thread:

The Fix Thread:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Jack it up off the ground and grab the wheel 12 and 6 o’clock and try Leveraging it. Then grab it 3 and 9 doing the same. Feel for any play or re creating the sound. Make sure the truck is stable and get something under the tire and get a little leverage on it and see if that creates any familiar noises. Jack up one side at a time and check it.. safer!

MNCarl.. he said he’s replaced all that but still doesn’t mean something isn’t completely tight. I wondered about the LCA’s camber bolts and even the bottom struts bolt because I think it had been talked about before.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Frontier
492 Posts
Here are some other things to check:
  1. Steering Rack. Turn wheels all the way left to extend the driver's side rack shaft, then try to wiggle it up and down/check for play. It might take more force than you can generate by hand.
  2. Sway Bar. I know you said you replaced the bushings, but try removing the sway bar completely and see if the noise goes away. There might be some slop in the system. It's easy enough to remove and reinstall.
  3. LCA ball joint bolt. This is a pinch system, so it needs proper torque to grab the ball joint correctly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Okay! So I am making a list of all the suggestions above, and try to address each one this weekend. I will keep everyone updated. It would be nice to have a sticky on everything to look at if you are experiencing a front end clunk.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Add to the list...slip joint between the upper intermediate steering shaft and the lower intermediate. Check if this bolt is tight and no slippage. (Easily viewed through the splash guard on driver’s side, two parallel flat edges on the head of bolt)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't know what your noise is but here is a tip. You can use a hose to pinpoint where the noise eminates. Use something like a length of old garden hose or heater hose on your ear and the othe end pointed at suspect areas. This works really well as when the open end is pointed close to the noise it will be obvious.

Tt

·
Registered
869 Posts
Okay! So I am making a list of all the suggestions above, and try to address each one this weekend. I will keep everyone updated. It would be nice to have a sticky on everything to look at if you are experiencing a front end clunk.
Well any luck locating and fixing the noise?

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I had to make an emergency trip out to southern Utah. Kinda put everything on hold. But it's the first thing on my list for when I get back!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I had to make an emergency trip out to southern Utah. Kinda put everything on hold. But it's the first thing on my list for when I get back!

Any updates?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts