Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another clunk noise thread. Running out of ideas.

I've owned the truck since new, 2014. I lifted the truck about 3 years ago with the complete OME package from Nisstec. Went on one wheeling trip....then the clunk happened. Light bumps, big bumps, slow/fast, turning/not turning, hot/cold...same clunk. Sounds like its coming from the drivers side. So I have spent the last 3 years trying to chase down and pinpoint this clunk. I don't put many miles on the truck. All these replacements have been within 35k miles.

Replaced (anything that might cause a clunk):

UCA's (Stock-->SPC)
SPC Balljoints
LCA's
All the body mounts
Tie rod ends
Front shocks (OME-->Radflo)
Rear shocks (OME-->Bilstein)
Leaf spring bushings
Sway bar - Removed
Steering rack bushings
Exhaust
Brakes (Calipers, Pads, Rotors)

Soon to be Replaced:
Engine mounts
Transmission mount
Front diff bushings

What I have checked:
Radiator mounts - Tight
Every other bolt I can get a wrench on - Tight or to spec
Body mount welds - Good
Hubs - No wheel wiggle

What am I missing? I have read through countless threads, hoping for that one thing. It sounds suspension related, I just cant put a finger on it. The video is me pushing up and down on the front bumper.

Clunk.mp4

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I had a weld break on my drivers side rear cab mount. The part that was welded to the frame. Everything from the bottom looked good. The mechanic unbolted all the body mounts on the drivers side and lifted it up. That’s when he saw the broken weld.
but mine did not sound like that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pushing up and down on the bumper.

Edit: clarification. its a shrock bumper. I am grabbing the bull bar, pushing up and down. And the clunk predates the bumper.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Where does the sound like it is coming from? Have a friend come over to help pin point it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like its coming from the drivers side. But that could be deceiving, since I only notice while driving and I am on the driver side. I have had people crawl under there while reproducing the noise and it seems to be coming from the center, engine belly. That is making me feel like it could be the transmission mount or diff bushings. But it also travels through the frame. One of my suspicions today was the possibility I am just hearing driveshaft slop, which is why that first video was focused on the front driveshaft...but it doesn't seem to be moving.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
You might have to have a friend make the noise while your underneath and start feeling for the noise. When they found my noise the tech laid on the ground while they were making the noise and he felt something on the rear cab section, which led them check the body mount. I know what you are going through with this noise. Maybe start tapping things with a rubber mallet.

·
Premium Member
10,239 Posts
Get someone to make the noise and you wear a mechanics stethoscope to isolate where the sound is coming from.

Clint

Reactions: GKnapp

·
Registered
26 Posts
My suggestion would be to put the truck on jack stands so it removes the suspension and drive train from the equation. If there is still a clunk, then it is from the frame and up. If that helps, maybe I’ll buy those wheel spacers from you at a discount.

·
Registered
572 Posts
My suggestion would be to put the truck on jack stands so it removes the suspension and drive train from the equation. If there is still a clunk, then it is from the frame and up. If that helps, maybe I’ll buy those wheel spacers from you at a discount.
Putting it on jack stands would only remove the ability to actually reproduce the sound.

Reactions: MiniDuti

·
Registered
572 Posts
we both know I don’t know the answer to that, I am simply stating that putting it on jackstands isn’t going to allow him to reproduce the sound, nor will it eliminate suspension/drivetrain exc.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
we both know I don’t know the answer to that, I am simply stating that putting it on jackstands isn’t going to allow him to reproduce the sound, nor will it eliminate suspension/drivetrain exc.
My thought as well.. since he replicates the sound by bouncing the suspension.

Have you checked your LCA’s bolts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My thought as well.. since he replicates the sound by bouncing the suspension.

Have you checked your LCA’s bolts?
Yeah. Bought whole new LCAs with new bushings and new lower ball joints, new cam bolts, and prg donuts. A little overkill....but this is one of those sounds that will/has driven me insane. I think the most frustrating part is; when I find out what is making the noise it's probably going to be something dumb.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah. Bought whole new LCAs with new bushings and new lower ball joints, new cam bolts, and prg donuts. A little overkill....but this is one of those sounds that will/has driven me insane. I think the most frustrating part is; when I find out what is making the noise it's probably going to be something dumb.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
ok, lets try and figure this out. I doubt its the engine mounts as that is really early for them to go, and the symptom of a bad engine mount is normally a clunk during acceleration. They can get so bad that they clunk all the time, but you generally should have heard a clunk on acceleration first.

is your battery secure? The battery fastener will loosen over time. A long shot possibility.

when you bounce the front end do you have your hood open? I ask for two reasons, one; our hoods tend to make some noise, usually squeaks, but who knows, and two; it will allow you to see and hear the clunk maybe a little better.

edit: somehow didnt see your included audio/video link. That clunk IS really annoying. Almost sounds like a flexing piece of sheet metal popping in and out. Is the noise occurring when you exert force down AND when it comes back up?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I did not see the video either.. strange and would be real annoying. Sounds like a really loose hub when bouncing the suspension forcing pressure on to the wheels? But that would have to be really loose to make that loud of a noise.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts