Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
The last two days and for the duration of the past winter i've been finding this issues is more noticeable as time goes on. During the summer when i first bought it, i noticed it but was very slightly felt.
Now, its more noticeable when i've been driving for several hours. Went to the snowboard resort which is 3 1/2hrs away for the past 2 days and after cruising then i let the gas go I feel a small jerk and hear 'clunk'. Is this normal?
Now i read a few days/weeks ago someone posted something about 'pop and slop'? Not sure if that how he put it but sounded as if was the same issue. Now back in the summer I did have my rear propeller shaft replaced(Rear drive shaft) for a 'clunking' nosy.
Any thoughts, will this hurt the transmission?

thnks

N

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I am experiencing something similar, when i let off the gas i get a funny clunck from the transmission(i assume). havent given too much thought to it but it does happen. so i am subscribing to learn more!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am experiencing something similar, when i let off the gas i get a funny clunck from the transmission(i assume). havent given too much thought to it but it does happen. so i am subscribing to learn more!
HAHAHA yes yes, I read a few post back but not sure if there is a problem or if its normal.
our company just bought brand new 2010 Dodge Caravans(yes i know not nissan) but he was driving it and when he was in my truck he said even that new van does the same thing on the highway when he releases the gas pedal. So it may just be natural?
but I'm just looking for input if anyone has any...

N

·
Super Moderator
11,068 Posts
Get someone to sit in the back and when you get it to make the sound try to isolate if it's coming from the front or rear of the truck. My 2002 Frontier needed a rear at approx. 40,000 miles. That was a great truck and a favorite of mine still.

Clint

·
Registered
395 Posts
Check your U-Joint(s). This sounds exactly like a problem I had a few months ago. It's a relatively quick, easy and cheap fix.

Explorer

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
It could be as far as I know:

1. Drive line slack (normal according to other people)
2. U-joints (cheap fix but not necessarily easy unless you have the right tools)
3. Rear differential (bad)

Are you under warranty? If so have the dealer check it out. And I know the secret to getting the dealer to give you a new rear diff since you are a nismo. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could be as far as I know:

1. Drive line slack (normal according to other people)
2. U-joints (cheap fix but not necessarily easy unless you have the right tools)
3. Rear differential (bad)

Are you under warranty? If so have the dealer check it out. And I know the secret to getting the dealer to give you a new rear diff since you are a nismo. Hope this helps.
Considering it's still under warrenty I'm really not going to make a fix if they can do it for me(for # 2 ) how about a new rear diff that sound great ;) How might I go about doing that?

N

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine has had driveline clunking since the day I drove it off the lot brand new. It always sounds like a bad u-joint to me, but I know they are good. I have checked several times, so I just have to assume it is normal. Parts have to be physically falling off the truck to get the dealer to do anything about it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've got the EXACT problem you describe. It's a funky feeling, especially when you don't mean to do it. Passengers don't really seem to notice because they're not the ones in control of the throttle.

I've got to be going about above 35 mph..

Let's say I'm on main street (35mph speed limit) and i get up to 45 on accident... let off the gas to slow down.. a couple seconds later.. i feel a slight thunk-ish feeling, get down to 30 mph, hit the throttle a little, thunk again as it's under load again.

I hope it's not the differential, although it's a good excuse to go steel the rear end off of the titan down the street at a junkyard.

But really, my rear differential seems okay, doesn't click, tick, slip, squeak, etc.. locker engages and disengages correctly, etc.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Mine's been doing that for about a year...and it seems to be progressively getting worse. Back in the spring I did replace a bad front u-joint, but it didn't help the "clunk" problem. I think I'm just getting more lash in my differential, which is normal to a point. I don't know how hard it is to measure my lash, if I can just take off the diff cover and do it I might when I replace my axle seal. Regardless I've not been impressed with the NISMO rear end, I've already replaced one leaky axle seal and the pinion seal.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Considering it's still under warrenty I'm really not going to make a fix if they can do it for me(for # 2 ) how about a new rear diff that sound great ;) How might I go about doing that?

N
I have the same problem I made nissan replace my rear end. But it still makes the noise.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
its not the ujoints... on account of my truck is lacking ujoints... it has the rapazza joint(as disscussed in previous threads) so i think that eliminates that problem. I also do not think its the rear end as many of us seem to have it and i have the C200 without a locker and it seems that those with the m226 also have it. i think its just a normal occurance on the basis that so many of you experience it. Im not going to worry bout it until something goes catastrophicly wrong.

thanks for the help all! and good luck

·
Registered
199 Posts
i have an 07 nismo 4x4 with a clunk. I have read some where in the owners manual that this is normal and if you are doing a lot of city driving take the truck out of overdrive and it will go away. believe it or not it does work when in the city or a lot of stop and go I turn off the overdrive and no clunk. give it a try and let me know if you have the same results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Clunk in tranny

taking the truck out of over drive does eliminate the clunk in my tranny. If I leave it in OD and drive down a small hill at less than 35 mph I will get the clunk. I am trying not to let this bother me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Every 2nd-gen Frontier, Xterra, and Pathfinder that I have ever driven has this clunk. It's driveline slack. The next time I shop for a vehicle I'm specifically looking for this to see if it bothers me or not. As I have posted elsewhere in this forum it takes getting used to.

·
Registered
122 Posts
As discussed in previous threads, it's normal. I think it has to do with the torque converter locking in and out in OD or something to that nature. Mine ('08 2wd CC) does the same thing and taking it out of OD below 50mph works fine.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
HERE IS YOUR ANSWER!!!!!!!!!

I have started many threads on this topic. This is what I found.....

Its the OD (over drive) engaging and dis-engaging with little or no load on the motor. For some reason Nissan has put a power house actuator on the OD. This is most noticable when "just cruz'en" and your speed changes slightly by 5 to 10mph. If you are hard on the gas or stoping quickly, you will never here this.

Try this, when you cruz'en down main street push the OD button to turn it off. You have now soved the problem. I would bet you dont hear it any more.

Also did you ever notice when coasting, you'll go down a slight hill and you can feel the truck not alowing you to accel if you off the gas, just from gravity? Its like if you were stick shift you had it in 2nd when if you put it in 3rd it would coast better. If you would turn the OD off this also goes away. You can coast down hills like normal AND you clunk will be gone too.

Try it. I had tranny replaced AND rear diff replaced 2 months after I bought my truck. I wasnt real happy about that, then when I notice this clunk, that your speaking of and the hill thing I was ready to light it on fire! But a little research on this great site tought me that it is "normal" and best of all how to avoid feeling it if I choose to! (turn OD off)

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nissan is replacing my leaf springs with a new verison that is insulated. They are going on a week with it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts