Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a new head unit today, and everything was going well, till a wire came loose trying to put everything back together. I reconnected the wire that came loose, it was the 12+ switched wire. I'm sure in the process I've blown a fuse, now my climate control is dead and the 12v switched wire doesn't turn on. I've checked the fuses under the hood and in the glovebox, everything looks good. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Installed a new head unit today, and everything was going well, till a wire came loose trying to put everything back together. I reconnected the wire that came loose, it was the 12+ switched wire. I'm sure in the process I've blown a fuse, now my climate control is dead and the 12v switched wire doesn't turn on. I've checked the fuses under the hood and in the glovebox, everything looks good. Thoughts?
Thoughts? OK, you asked.

1. You were dumb and did not disconnect the battery negative terminal while you were doing electrical work.

2. I'm guessing you have a vehicle, likely a Nissan Frontier because you posted here, but don't know what year, model, etc., because you didn't inform us.

3. Did you "check the fuses" visually, with an ohmmeter, or did you actually test for positive voltage at both sides? Did you randomly check ALL fuses, or were you able to track down which circuit feeds the climate control (you might need year and model of vehicle for that) using a wiring diagram?

4. Did you check the fusible links too?

5. Maybe you should take to a shop to get it fixed as I suspect your electrical experience is low, or you would've disconnected the battery negative terminal while doing such work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super helpful! Have you thought about a career in education you seem well suited for it.

FYI battery was disconnected, found the faulty connection after hooking everything back up (including the battery)

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,815 Posts
Thoughts? OK, you asked.

1. You were dumb and did not disconnect the battery negative terminal while you were doing electrical work.

2. I'm guessing you have a vehicle, likely a Nissan Frontier because you posted here, but don't know what year, model, etc., because you didn't inform us.

3. Did you "check the fuses" visually, with an ohmmeter, or did you actually test for positive voltage at both sides? Did you randomly check ALL fuses, or were you able to track down which circuit feeds the climate control (you might need year and model of vehicle for that) using a wiring diagram?

4. Did you check the fusible links too?

5. Maybe you should take to a shop to get it fixed as I suspect your electrical experience is low, or you would've disconnected the battery negative terminal while doing such work.
Asking for thoughts does not open the door to be condescending towards him. We all have varying degrees of mechanical ability, so therefore we rely on the Forum to help us out in those areas we may not be 100% comfortable with when tackling various DIY jobs.

Having members insult you for asking a question is not what ClubFrontier wishes to portray as how we treat one another, rather, we prefer and ask everyone to be respectful with one another; of which, you were not. Please reconsider your choice of verbiage moving forth by responding with a respectful and not condescending tone - and though it isn't necessary, I would suggest you apologize to Joshua.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Joshua asked for "thoughts", and that's what I supplied. Look again, there's some good advice in what I posted: a warning/lesson to others to disconnect the battery when doing electrical or mechanical work, information on how to really check a fuse, information not to forget the fusible links too, information to post year/model/etc. as some of us are not good mind readers.

I realize our culture has evolved to "don't offend anyone, everybody gets a trophy". I understand that everyone doesn't have Magna cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa, too; I've had bosses in the past tell me to sugarcoat things too, not to be direct. That's not really my style, sorry if I offended Joshua and the moderator. By the way, Mr. Moderator: your site is the slowest of all of any that I've visited, can you help with that? Please (I said please).

Well, sometimes it's raining, and if you don't come in out of the rain, you'll get wet. Period. I'm glad Joshua got things working going, hope he soldered/used heat shrink tubing the wires to the stereo instead of using crimp connectors....

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,815 Posts
Joshua asked for "thoughts", and that's what I supplied. Look again, there's some good advice in what I posted: a warning/lesson to others to disconnect the battery when doing electrical or mechanical work, information on how to really check a fuse, information not to forget the fusible links too, information to post year/model/etc. as some of us are not good mind readers.

I realize our culture has evolved to "don't offend anyone, everybody gets a trophy". I understand that everyone doesn't have Magna cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa, too; I've had bosses in the past tell me to sugarcoat things too, not to be direct. That's not really my style, sorry if I offended Joshua and the moderator. By the way, Mr. Moderator: your site is the slowest of all of any that I've visited, can you help with that? Please (I said please).

Well, sometimes it's raining, and if you don't come in out of the rain, you'll get wet. Period. I'm glad Joshua got things working going, hope he soldered/used heat shrink tubing the wires to the stereo instead of using crimp connectors....
Respect may not be your style, but it is this forum's. Thanks for the apology. Live and learn, shall we.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts