Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '17 Pro 4X I recently noticed a click sound under the following conditions: engine on (or off with ignition on), gear selector in park. The click occurs when I press and when I release the brake pedal. The noise appears to come from inside the center console near the gear selector. I suspect it's the solenoid that locks the gear selector in park unless the brake is pressed. The issue is I've only recently noticed the click (I've had the truck for 2 years), and I'm wondering if this recent revelation might be an omen of something getting ready to fail, or have I just recently started paying more attention to the sounds my truck makes?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Normal. Should be a rather faint click. There might be a rubber bumper on the solenoid that might have fallen off or something like that. That might make it louder. I know of it, but have not played with it on this truck. Easy enough to get the console top off to look around in there. Pull the cupholder out first. Next is the forward console top (don't mess with the shifter at all). Once the front part is loose, rotate 90° to get it out of the way. Look around.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,951 Posts
That click is what allows you to move the shifter out of park.
If you don't press the brake you can't get out of park.
Shift lock system.
The shift lock solenoid is what you're hearing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, the shift lock solenoid is what I thought it was. I didn't think about maybe a sound-deadening rubber bumper falling off being a possible reason I've never heard it before. In any case, it doesn't sound like anything I'll worry about for now.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,951 Posts
Thanks for the replies, the shift lock solenoid is what I thought it was. I didn't think about maybe a sound-deadening rubber bumper falling off being a possible reason I've never heard it before. In any case, it doesn't sound like anything I'll worry about for now.
Only be concerned if you don't hear it and can't shift out of Park.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts