Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,428 Posts
It's there to protect the paint from chips, don't remove it. Enjoy the new truck.

Clint

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
What is this rectangle film/sticker on my new truck? Can i just peel it off? Does it serve a purpose?
Do you have it on both sides? Mine only has it on the driver's side. Its to help with rockchips, but in my experience its too small a sheet to actually do anything. If you are concerned with chips, get a large sheet for the rear fender (front-side) and I'd wrap the rockers while you're at it. Even before I started into the mud&rocks my rockers and fender was pretty chipped up.

·
Super Moderator
19,660 Posts
What is this rectangle film/sticker on my new truck? Can i just peel it off? Does it serve a purpose?
Sure, you can peel it off but you would need to replace it with something larger or you would regret it. While it doesn't protect as much area as I would like, it would be much worse without that film there. I bought some larger pieces of film many years ago but never put them on because I would need to repair a bunch of paint chips first. They may seem to yellow more noticeably on a white truck over time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got them on my white Xterra as well, and definitely don't cover nearly as much as what they really should. And are more noticeable on a white vehicle than any of the other colors.

·
Registered
71 Posts
they dealer had to install them?? Every Frontie/Xterra i've ever seen had them on from factory.
Well they installed them everywhere on the truck. Hood, headlights, mirrors, roof, A-pillars, front fenders, bumper, etc. I'm probably forgetting a few places but it's basically everywhere that you can see from the front silhouette of the truck because that's where rocks will hit and chip the paint.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Well they installed them everywhere on the truck. Hood, headlights, mirrors, roof, A-pillars, front fenders, bumper, etc. I'm probably forgetting a few places but it's basically everywhere that you can see from the front silhouette of the truck because that's where rocks will hit and chip the paint.
Aside from the forward part of the rear fenders, your dealer probably did install the rest of that film as a "dealer added" option. Was there an extra charge on the window sticker for it?

Only the film on the forward rear fender are factory IIRC, you also get a similar smaller film piece that goes under the rear splash guards (if you buy the splash guards separately).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Aside from the forward part of the rear fenders, your dealer probably did install the rest of that film as a "dealer added" option. Was there an extra charge on the window sticker for it?

Only the film on the forward rear fender are factory IIRC, you also get a similar smaller film piece that goes under the rear splash guards (if you buy the splash guards separately).
Yes, I paid extra for the extra films but the dealer did not do it. They sent to a company in town who installed them all and also tinted the front windows.

All I'm saying is if I pay that much for a brand new truck I want to protect it from the very beginning against scratches and dings. I understand vehicles are never an investment so at the very least I want to make sure it depreciates as little as possible. In my opinion OP should not remove the factory films much the same way as people who chose to not wear a bicycle helmet thinking it looks silly. I would rather have the film (or bicycle helmet) than have a bunch of dings in it.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Yes, I paid extra for the extra films but the dealer did not do it. They sent to a company in town who installed them all and also tinted the front windows.

All I'm saying is if I pay that much for a brand new truck I want to protect it from the very beginning against scratches and dings. I understand vehicles are never an investment so at the very least I want to make sure it depreciates as little as possible. In my opinion OP should not remove the factory films much the same way as people who chose to not wear a bicycle helmet thinking it looks silly. I would rather have the film (or bicycle helmet) than have a bunch of dings in it.
Right, even if the actual dealer didn't do the work, it was "dealer added" to your purchase.

I was just clarifying that what comes from the Nissan factory (before a dealer adds anything) are the pieces at the forward part of the rear fenders. And I agree with you too - OP shouldn't remove them either.... It's there for a reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts